Marlins believe Jose Fernandez will seek $30 million

Yeah not exactly news. His agent is Scott Boras. I don't think any rational fan actually believes that we have a chance at re-signing Jose. The question becomes when they decide to pull the trigger on a trade. If he Marlins do it now it could be argued they are trading him when they still have prime years they can squeeze out of him and still get similar trade value come 2018.

On the other hand, if he gets injured again then the term "injury prone" could become a thing with Jose and drastically kill his value. Not exactly a simple answer here, although I'd say you run with Jose until next offseason to see if we can pull of a miracle run to the playoffs this year.

If the Dodgers ever agree to give Seager/Urias/Pedersen all together at any point this season I say you trade Jose immediately. Other than that you hold onto him.

I say they should seriously consider trading him at the deadline if it's clear that the team is clearly out of the race.

I agree. Deadline gets teams desperate and if we're clearly out, there's really no reason to trot Jose out an unnecessary two months and risk injury.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to trade him.  He's still 3 years from free agency.  That's an eternity in sports.  What if this team wins?  What if we sign a new TV deal?  What if Loria sells the team?  Point is, there's no reason to rush into anything with Jose right now.  His value won't be dramatically different a year from now.

Besides, how about we see a full healthy season and then talk about how much he's going to get in free agency 3 years from now?

Barring a change of heart - Marlins won't deal him this year or next year unless they are blown away by an offer regardless of their contention status at trade deadlines. They want him for 2016 and 2017 at the least. They foresee him starting for the NL in 2017's ASG as a Marlin.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to trade him.  He's still 3 years from free agency.  That's an eternity in sports.  What if this team wins?  What if we sign a new TV deal?  What if Loria sells the team?  Point is, there's no reason to rush into anything with Jose right now.  His value won't be dramatically different a year from now.

Besides, how about we see a full healthy season and then talk about how much he's going to get in free agency 3 years from now?

That's a problem too. Jose puts a lot of stress in his delivery. Another serious injury and his trade value plummets. It can be argued it'll never get higher than it'll be over the next year. Is it worth keeping Jose just to have him pitch the next two years on non-contender teams (this can be argued) or turn him into assets while he's at his highest value.

Like I said not an easy answer here. The Marlins got the highest return possible for Cabrera and we know how that turned out. I can't really give a comparison for Jose since there hasn't ever been a player like him in this situation before. Most teams find the money to keep a player of that caliber long term. But the Marlins aren't most teams.

I understand the 3 years thing though. The concern though is definitely banking on full health during that time period.

PURELY MY OPINION:

I think Loria is going to sell the team after 2017 and having Jose on the roster would improve his situation in multiple ways. For one, the team is working on a new TV deal which should be done in time for next season (2017). Moving Jose before that won't help negotiations. 2, a new owner would surely be interested in having Jose as part of the team and could possibly even afford to keep him around. 3, moving Jose would have an adverse effect on bringing in free agents and also lead to potential problems with Stanton.

The injury risk is a fair concern, but the opposite is also true.  His value only goes up if he puts up a full season.  

I also don't think this situation is necessarily unique.  The Rays were in the same situation with Price a few years ago.  They traded him with 1.5 years left before free agency.  The A's traded Hudson, Zito, and Mulder at around the same service time.  I think the thing to do is hold onto him for at least this year and try to win as much as possible.  The time will come to make this decision, but a lot can happen before it's necessary to worry about it.

PURELY MY OPINION:

I think Loria is going to sell the team after 2017 and having Jose on the roster would improve his situation in multiple ways. For one, the team is working on a new TV deal which should be done in time for next season. Moving Jose before that won't help negotiations. 2, a new owner would surely be interested in having Jose as part of the team and could possibly even afford to keep him around. 3, moving Jose would have an adverse effect on bringing in free agents and also lead to potential problems with Stanton.

Good points.  Speaking of deals...any news on a naming rights deal?  Still have a chance to happen before this season?  You'd think they can get one before the All Star game...

Good points.  Speaking of deals...any news on a naming rights deal?  Still have a chance to happen before this season?  You'd think they can get one before the All Star game...

I fully expect they'll have it before 2017 but its looking less likely for 2016 as each day passes. Nothing is signed yet.

PURELY MY OPINION:

I think Loria is going to sell the team after 2017 and having Jose on the roster would improve his situation in multiple ways. For one, the team is working on a new TV deal which should be done in time for next season (2017). Moving Jose before that won't help negotiations. 2, a new owner would surely be interested in having Jose as part of the team and could possibly even afford to keep him around. 3, moving Jose would have an adverse effect on bringing in free agents and also lead to potential problems with Stanton.

I really hope you're right because I'm done with Loria

Guest Vince0926

Jose really deserve $30 per year. Remember he pitched a complete season in 20...um, well there was that time when um, guys i got nothing. $15 million a year or drop him.

The injury risk is a fair concern, but the opposite is also true.  His value only goes up if he puts up a full season.  

I also don't think this situation is necessarily unique.  The Rays were in the same situation with Price a few years ago.  They traded him with 1.5 years left before free agency.  The A's traded Hudson, Zito, and Mulder at around the same service time.  I think the thing to do is hold onto him for at least this year and try to win as much as possible.  The time will come to make this decision, but a lot can happen before it's necessary to worry about it.

I feel like his value is as high as it'll ever be. He's 23 years old, has 3 relatively cheap years left of control, and has already got Tommy John surgery out of the way. I understand the Price comparison, but Price was 29 years old when traded. Any team looking to acquire him knows they have maybe three or four prime years left when trading for him. Jose is 23 years old. Any team trading for him could very easily have a decade of prime pitching ahead of them. The only situation I can ever remember even close to this was when the Mariners were floating around Felix Hernandez's name in trades following his Cy Young Runner up 2009 season. He was also 23 years old then. Hernandez signed a 5 year extension right after for $78 million, but the financial landscape of baseball is completely different than it was then. Jose is would get $130 million+ for those same 5 years if he was available on the open market today. There has never been a player like Jose Fernandez traded this good and this early in his career, and none since Felix that were ever even discussed in trades. This is unique territory we're in.

Like I said, I'm in favor of keeping Jose until next offseason, but it isn't because I imagine his value will be higher then. I believe with a good season it will be equal to what it is now, which is a team's top two prospects, a major league starter with good potential, and a throw in piece or two. I'm in favor of keeping him because the team isn't a complete lost cause this year, and with a sizable amount of lucky bounces the Marlins could reach the playoffs in the shaky National League this year. I'm not trading Jose if there is even a tiny chance of the playoffs with him.

Guest Vince0926
BS. Nobody's giving an injury prone primadonna $30 million. He has to prove he can stay healthy first. This is leaked to soften the blow to fans when he's traded

Aaaaaand you win the internets for today. Exactly right.

Is Jose still at least listening to extension offers or did that ship sail after the arbitration stuff? 

And was Jose really bothered by trading away Latos and Morse? Sometimes the media just pulls shit out of their asses. 

I won't believe it unless Craig Mish or Andy Slater says so