Loria sets $1.7 billion price tag on Marlins

Admin

Not sure why people would be surprised.  The Mariners just sold for $1.6 billion.  Why would anyone think he'd ask for less than the most recent sale price?  Will he get it?  Maybe, maybe not, but it is not an unrealistic starting point.  This is a team with a new ballpark, a new TV deal in the next couple of years, and an attractive market.  

Maybe he won't get $1.7B, but I bet he gets over $1B when it's all said and done.  The important part isn't the asking price, it's that there is a price and that means he's willing to sell.

Between this and the Romney news from a few weeks back, I think we are seeing the start of the sale process happening.  At least I really hope so anyway. 

Like squall said you ask for more. He knows he won't get it

My job is to negotiate. As ive stated before my position in my job is 1 of 50 out of 14,000 locations. Im a strong negotiator. The Marlins are currently worth 520 million according to forbes. Thats 3 X the worth. If he were serious I could see maybe a 900 mil to 1B starting price. But 1.7? Thats laughable and not a serious market price nor a starting price. Thats more like I wont sell and dont care if i sell but if you blow me away with an offer I will sell. Everything is for sale at the right price if you think about it. Loria is FOS. Lol. Unless he is counting the value PLUS what he annually makes in revenue sharing. That would be sooo Loria.

My job is to negotiate. As ive stated before my position in my job is 1 of 50 out of 14,000 locations. Im a strong negotiator. The Marlins are currently worth 520 million according to forbes. Thats 3 X the worth. If he were serious I could see maybe a 900 mil to 1B starting price. But 1.7? Thats laughable and not a serious market price nor a starting price. Thats more like I wont sell and dont care if i sell but if you blow me away with an offer I will sell. Everything is for sale at the right price if you think about it. Loria is FOS. Lol. Unless he is counting the value PLUS what he annually makes in revenue sharing. That would be sooo Loria.

Forbes is not a good way to determine the real value of a team, at least when it comes to sales.  First of all, I think the most recent Forbes list had them at $625 million...but that's besides the point.  

There are only 30 of these things and the most recent one sold went for $1.6B.  Also, that Forbes value is based on them having one of the worst TV deals in sports.  That expires in a couple of years.  Bottom line is Loria will get over $1B when he sells, which will hopefully be soon.  

But yea I see no issue with him asking for what the Mariners sold for. It's not about what the team is really worth or what baseball fans think about the team. If you're selling your house and the neighbor across the street just sold their house for a crazy price, it's fair to start your sale at around the same price. If the price drops then so be it but why wouldn't you try higher first?