Stanton: "I don't want to rebuild... I've lost for seven years"

SonOfJack

We've "rebuilt" many times over the years but if Stanton goes and with new ownership coming in and new executives and what not it feels like 2018 will be more like an expansion team again. Like sweep out all the old and just start from scratch and build from there. Have virtually no hold overs from the pre-Jeter era. Keep basically nothing. 

25 seasons as one expansion team and now in 2018 "it all begins, again." 

As much as the possibility of all this hurts to even imagine... this team sucks so if we're gonna do it then let's do it. Dive headfirst, don't look back, let's start building our third championship now. 

did any of us expect Stanton to actually be here through his whole career? c'mon. the 13 year deal was strictly a PR move.

Maybe for Loria it was a PR move but not for Stanton. If they had improved every year as they had intended to and were contending or close to it by now instead of looking towards another rebuild then yes Stanton would have stayed to be the face of this franchise in its next successful run. And yes many of us did think he had a chance to stay here. 

We've "rebuilt" many times over the years but if Stanton goes and with new ownership coming in and new executives and what not it feels like 2018 will be more like an expansion team again. Like sweep out all the old and just start from scratch and build from there. Have virtually no hold overs from the pre-Jeter era. Keep basically nothing. 

25 seasons as one expansion team and now in 2018 "it all begins, again." 

As much as the possibility of all this hurts to even imagine... this team sucks so if we're gonna do it then let's do it. Dive headfirst, don't look back, let's start building our third championship now. 

Maybe just one time,trying not to be so rational and trying to be more emotional…why not just venting your emotions like Stanton ?

the offense doesn't suck.  this offense is playoff-caliber  - only the Cubs, Dbacks, Rockies, and Nats have score more runs i the NL.  i'd have zero issues going into a playoff series with their lineup. When, as a team you average nearly 5 runs a game over the course of the season (4.8 per game) and you still can't crack .500 - that speaks volumes to how atrocious the pitching is on this team.

as much as I would want to, i couldn't start supporting a different team if they did another firesale.   i just can't rewire myself like that.  I'd so desperately want to finally latch onto a GOOD team that is a contender year-to-year but yeah...just couldn't do it. my heart wouldn't be in it at all.  I will likely watch far fewer games next year though if they blow up the whole roster. 

as much as I would want to, i couldn't start supporting a different team if they did another firesale.   i just can't rewire myself like that.  I'd so desperately want to finally latch onto a GOOD team that is a contender year-to-year but yeah...just couldn't do it. my heart wouldn't be in it at all.  I will likely watch far fewer games next year though if they blow up the whole roster. 

I believe it's the thinking of the most fans now.

This is painful to say but moving him on isn't as devastating as what a lot of people are making it seem.  He is peaking now.  Twelve months ago much of the league thought his contract was an albatross.  Heck maybe the still do.  But the guy is going to be 28 on his next birthday which is the typical peak for a player in the post steroid era.   If the team is going to rebuild choosing to rebuild around him doesn't make the most sense.  St Louis moved on from Pujols when he was 31 and there are no regrets there   If we were competing right now then keeping Stanton for another four years would make sense but he ill have no street value then   

Again this doesn't feel good to say   Watching him hit is appointment tv for me   And sitting through a rebuild headed by a group of people who have never conducted one before sounds awful  

I'm digging through my garage looking for some of my childhood St. Louis Cardinals memorabilia and dusting it off just in case. I never thought I would get to this point.  I love the Marlins but this is just torture. What's the point anymore?  Mas was the answer and Loria even fucked us on the way out.