Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stanton traded to Yankees for Castro, Guzman and Devers

Featured Replies

Some people are just contrarians with sports, or like to align themselves with winners probably because they don't win enough in their lives. This team needs to consistently win, develop tradition, get good press, etc. before they maintain a solid fanbase. 

 

 

After all these pages of posts on the trade and the impact, we are really morphing into another attendance discussion? Might as well close the discussion.more importantly, when Ozuna goes, whose going to pitch to Bour, what's the power coming from. No power, no runs, no pitching, this will be very hard to watch.

 

 

Jim Bowden ? ?‏ @Jim_BowdenSXM 21m21 minutes ago

 

More

 

#Marlins already have trade options for Castro....rest of their return for Stanton:Jorge Guzman: Freakish arm strength. Highest avg FB velocity in all of professional baseball (Major or Minor) plus SL avg CH. Jose Devers stays at SS high offensive potential

 

This is a really nice package for Stanton given the circumstances.  Hopefully we can get a few solid prospects for Castro.

 

 

Yeah this deal was better than the SF one.

 

i liked the quantity in that trade and the fact that we were getting 3 immediate starters and a top prospect, but we'll end up getting 4 total for stanton too after the castro flip.  guzman is 100% our top prospect now though.

 

 

Giving away Stanton to the damn Yankees is as bad as it gets. By far the most hurtful trade in 25 years of Marlin futility. But the pain is eased slightly by the thought of Cespedes and Devers coming to us.

 

 

Didnt even realize this yesterday, but Jose Devers numbers in the GCL were pretty pedestrian, but he was 17 and playing in that league and holding his own, which bodes well for his future.

 

 

  • Author
Didnt even realize this yesterday, but Jose Devers numbers in the GCL were pretty pedestrian, but he was 17 and playing in that league and holding his own, which bodes well for his future.

 

He's projected to be a slick defender but the bat is where the question is. Time for his body to fill out and for his swing to improve of course.

 

 

He's projected to be a slick defender but the bat is where the question is. Time for his body to fill out and for his swing to improve of course.

 

i think the bat is his best feature actually according to a few scouting reports

 

 

Still waiting on the yuge haul we were promised.

 

like i said twice yesterday, stanton blocked our 2 biggest offers.

 

 

Jim Bowden ? ?‏ @Jim_BowdenSXM 2h2 hours ago

 

More

 

#Marlins already have trade options for Castro....rest of their return for Stanton:Jorge Guzman: Freakish arm strength. Highest avg FB velocity in all of professional baseball (Major or Minor) plus SL avg CH. Jose Devers stays at SS high offensive potential

 

Jim Bowden after the trade

 

 

And like many of us said more than twice awhile ago, Stanton's ability to block any trade would considerably limit the return. Hence why we kept explaining to you why Stanton had limited trade value.

 

And the Giants deal was worse. We don't know what the Cards were offering.

 

the cards offer has been reported out there, the giants deal wasnt worse, and we still just got a guy who (until Ozuna is traded in a few days) becomes our #1 prospect and has the highest fastball velocity out of anyone in the majors or minors.

 

 

Lets be fair [uSER=860]@el penguino[/uSER], this @fish20 guy was clearly on the ball from the start. He called as getting Devers as part of a package way back on November 11th.

 

 

 

Oh wait, that was the other one. Look what this idiot actually thought they could get and why he has to spin every other deal as a good haul now.

 

I didnt make that package up, that was a report of what the marlins were looking for if they dealt with the red sox.  You have no idea what the red sox were willing to give up if they had interest in stanton.

 

 

I admire that many on this board are laser focused on the prospects that are coming back and looking forward to following their progress and this newly constructed team though the next 3 or 4 years of 100 loss seasons.  Well and good. I'll continue to root for them.  But after 25 years this is one fire sale too many.

 

I'll continue to think that the total demolition of this team to come was entirely unnecessary, I've expressed my thoughts on this subject before, and do fear that it has already and will cause in so many ways this franchise irreparable harm that I don't think will ever be overcome.  For one thing, you don't give away a once in a generation talent like Stanton, and to the Yankees of all teams, without suffering severe repercussions. I unfortunately see this team being irrelevant and being mocked and scorned by the media, the sports world, fans and local community for quite some time. Many will say so what, we've lived under that cloud forever. But there was a chance with new ownership to begin to break out of it and with all that has since occurred that chance has been lost.    

 

 

Yeah I can be damn sure it wasn't anything close to that unless Miami was sending 100 million or more.

 

again, i didnt make that package up, that was a report that the marlins would be looking for that type of deal if he went to the red sox.

 

 

Even if that's true and I am not sure it is -- it was never a realistic thing. Boston would never do that but yet you said this about it:

 

"which i think is definitely a good possibility"

 

That shows you know nothing about how this works.

 

I think they would have considered it had we eaten a bunch of the money.  That was also contingent upon Bour going in that deal too because they needed significantly more power in their lineup than they had last season.

 

 

This is a tough one because our hearts feel what they feel. Seven years ago, I moved from South Florida to Vermont (granted we don't have a team in this state, but they are definitely passionate about the Red Sux and the Patriots). No way in hell could I stand to buy a Patriots jersey after having them as a rival to my team for years. I respect them, but I can't root for them. Believe me, I wish my heart would allow it - they are amazing year after year. It would be so easy and FUN to root for them. But the heart wants what it wants.  

 

I guess it would be rougher with direct rivals in the same sport but it feels like a problem that more transplanted fans can't deal with supporting the local team.

 

I have a cousin who was born and raised in NY as a Yankees fan but now lives in Orlando. I visited his new house last week and when I saw inside his garage he had a collection of Yankees caps hanging along the wall... much to my delight right next to the Yankees caps were 3 Rays caps. He is and will always be a Yankee fan first, but he's also a major league baseball fan living close enough to St Petersburg to go see several Rays games a year (and not just those against the Yankees) and he does... I think you'd have to be raised as some super selfish asshole to not be able to do this.

 

Also I don't think that's just being a bandwagon fan either. That's pretty much the definition of a "good" casual fan and having bunches of fans like that can really help support the local team alongside whoever is truly the die hard fans. 

 

 

Giving away Stanton to the damn Yankees is as bad as it gets.

 

Having someone pay $260 million for something is "giving it away?" 

 

 

I'll continue to think that the total demolition of this team to come was entirely unnecessary

 

If there was ever a necessary Marlins fire sale, this is the one. 

 

 

I'm looking forward until next season too but I can't say I want it to get here yet. I mean I do but I feel like there's so much left to do this offseason that I'm more anxious to get to the next step in that first. Like I can't wait to see who we trade next. 

 

 

In all honesty I’m looking forward to moving assets and laying groundwork for a respectable farm.  It was clear the events of the weekend would happen a long time ago.  Now we can move forward, look ahead and not back. 

 

 

So this wasn't the "yuge haul" that fish20 promised, but I think it's fine. Guzman isn't the type of cornerstone rebuilding piece that the Marlins got in say, Hanley, Maybin/Miller, but you cannot expect anything like that given Stanton's contract.

 

Glad Gordon is gone. Now it's time to trade Ozuna and Castro ASAP.

 

Next moves after that should be Straily, Bour, and Ziegler. See what you can get for Prado but don't tack him onto an Ozuna/Yelich deal.

 

The Marlins should try to retain Yelich unless they get blown away by an offer.

 

Why retain yelich?

 

Also I'd hold onto Ziegler. Let him be the closer and hope he does well so he'd actually have some value at the deadline. Worst case he's trash and his contract is up after the year.

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.