Scott Boras rips Jeter's plan

SonOfJack

In criticizing new Marlins owner Derek Jeter at the MLB general managers meetings in Orlando on Wednesday, agent Scott Boras indirectly raised an issue to USA Today that some Marlins fans are probably thinking:

Why did Jeter and Bruce Sherman buy the team if they cannot afford a sizable payroll?

“When you’re looking at building a market and you have an All-Star outfield with all the dynamics,’’ Boras said told Bob Nightingale in that USA Today piece. “And you have a club being purchased at $1.2 billion, what happens is that you got a marketplace saying the new owners are coming in here and saying they’re making the franchise better. We’re excited. And then where we are now creating a plan where we are not going to win [for] five or six years.

“We’re going to basically reduce our payroll. We’re going to rid our team of our substantial stars. We’re going to set up this five, six year plan. We basically have a system in baseball where we have sales of franchises, and we have a reduction.

“Basically the idea is to reduce the debt service to pay for the franchise by reducing all major league payroll, not being competitive, basically using the argument that we’re going to build a successful team through development.

“That has nothing to do with the fans. It has nothing to do with winning. It has nothing to do with anything other than a financial plan that suits ownership without consideration of the impact it has on Major League Baseball.’’

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article184818548.html

They're losing money. If you can prove to me that this team is profiting every year then yes Boras is right. But if they're losing money then yes the new ownership is right to fix the financial situation first and then build a winner from there. You can not create a sustained winner while continuing to lose money. This applies for every form of business fyi, not just in major league baseball. 

They're losing money. If you can prove to me that this team is profiting every year then yes Boras is right. But if they're losing money then yes the new ownership is right to fix the financial situation first and then build a winner from there. You can not create a sustained winner while continuing to lose money. This applies for every form of business fyi, not just in major league baseball. 

That's not the point. The point is why the fuck did Jeter and Sherman buy the team if they automatically handcuffed themselves because they don't have enough money to take losses? It limits how they can approach the problem. It also suggests they might just be Lorias reincarnated. 

That's not the point. The point is why the fuck did Jeter and Sherman buy the team if they automatically handcuffed themselves because they don't have enough money to take losses? It limits how they can approach the problem. It also suggests they might just be Lorias reincarnated. 

I agree to an extent, but i think it also could be argued that it just sheds light on just how poorly Loria ran the team.  How many prospective owners could buy a team and then be able to afford millions upon millions of dollars worth of losses each year right away?  A 100 million or so payroll is not extremely high, but its not ridiculously low either.  I think the need to rebuild the entire organization says more about Loria's terribly run team than it does Jeter's and Sherman's lack of liquidity, although I too wish they had a little more money this first year to be able to not have to sell off every single piece of this roster right away.  

I think the rebuild is the best possible thing this franchise could do.  And i think if given a few years, we could both rebuild and keep a significant amount of the current core.  But Loria was so incompetent as an owner that he completely ignored and cheaped out on the draft and IFA, and thus we dont have viable farm system replacements to replace guys at a replacement level in the rotation or in the lineup, and thus we'd be completely stupid to not just do a full on rebuild and build it up the way the last few years have shown is the right way to do it.

It sucks as a fan, but would you rather us continue to be mediocre but not close to a contender for the foreseeable future, or do it right like countless teams have in the last few years like the Astros, Cubs, White Sox, even Yankees, etc. have and have a sustainable contender year in and year out after a couple tough years of rebuilding?  The full on rebuild is the right way to do it.  If they werent new owners, this wouldnt be this complicated, but this entire marlins franchise situation, coupled with years of mismanagement, coupled with decades of fan mistrust make this so complicated.  But from a purely front office and winning perspective, this is the right move.

Because Jeter wants to own a team and is confident in his ability to turn this organization around without just throwing money around left and right? I don't think how much money Jeter and Sherman have has anything to do with any of this. This team is losing money and needs to correct that problem first. The richest person on earth can buy this team and even they would need to fix the financial situation first. 

Boras is not wrong, but it does beg the question of do they have the financial stability and durability to "go the distance". I am worried they are "Loria part deaux". I wonder if Jeter has the mental capacity to live with failure and losing. He's never been subject to it, and I really think he might bolt in the next couple of years because of it. That's why he's only investing $25 million. A very small token amount.....that way in 2 or 3 years he can run off and maybe get $30-35 million from Sherman, or whoever buys his share. I'm not sold he will stay very long if they don't make good progress or what looks like good progress quick enough for him. 

Then you might get a Dolphins situation....a rich owner that is just "drifting" and not really knowing who to turn to and very, very lost, and a franchise that can't get its head out of its ass. 

If Jorge Mas would have kept payroll the same he would have also lost more money every year until he fixed the continuous loss of money. 

There were a few rumblings out there of Jorge Mas wanting to create a regional sports network alongside the Dolphins.

Pretty sure Mas would have worked towards turning those losses around in other ways than just cutting payroll. If he did cut payroll, I'm not sure what his strategy would be. However, we know that Jeter's payroll trimming strategy is basically as bad as it can get. This is how teams wallow in mediocrity for decades