Rob Manfred: Marlins fans shouldn't be upset if Giancarlo Stanton dealt

Admin

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred thinks Miami Marlins fans should be understanding if the team's new owners trade All-Star slugger Giancarlo Stanton.

Former New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter became the team's chief executive officer when a group headed by venture capitalist Bruce Sherman bought the team last month in a $1.2 billion deal. Jeter said this week the Marlins must cut payroll and are listening to offers for Stanton,

"Look, I think that it's important for new owners to come in, evaluate the state of their franchise, decide where they think they're headed long term and kind of write with a clean slate," Manfred said Thursday after a quarterly owners' meeting.

"I think it's unfair really to criticize a decision if it turns out to be the decision to move a player who has a contract that somebody else negotiated," he added. "New management often comes in with a different idea about how to best put the best product on the field, and I hope — I hope that the fans in Miami, whatever decisions are made, give Bruce and Derek an opportunity to show what their plan for moving that franchise forward is."

Stanton hit 59 home runs, the most in the major leagues since 2001. The outfielder is owed $295 million over the final decade of his record $325 million, 13-year contract.

The Marlins have not had a winning season since 2009 and have not reached the playoffs since beating the Yankees in the 2003 World Series.

"I like the price. I like the new owners that we got. I like them a lot," Manfred said. "I think Bruce Sherman and Derek Jeter are the right people to move that franchise forward."

Now 43, Jeter was a 14-time All-Star shortstop and five-time World Series champion. He had long expressed a desire to own a team.

"Derek Jeter is an intelligent, impressive young man," Manfred said. "He is really focused on making the Marlins a success. I think he's going to bring the same kind of focus that made him a great player to the business side of the house."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/11/16/manfred-marlins-fans-shouldnt-be-upset-if-stanton-dealt/107750394/

Manfred, is right but this is such a bad move for them to have to make.....it just deepens the hate and mistrust the locals have towards the Marlins. I completely understand what is happening and why and I agree with it. I hate it, but I understand what needs to be done. But it's just when this franchise has something to hang it's hat on, some gust of wind comes along to blow it away. I swear this franchise is cursed.

I disagree completely...we've had to endure 15 years of Loria's awful ownership, so I don't think it's too much to ask that you don't blow up everything and burn this to the ground after taking ownership. The fan base has been burned so much, and Stanton leaving is just going to cement that. He's the only star we have right now. Yelich/Ozuna are not on that level nationally.

It’s so awesome that the people that bought the team from arguably the worst owner in MLB are implying that they have no money left after buying a pro franchise.

Personally, I’m very saddened that Jorge Mas was not awarded this team.  While I don’t have concrete evidence, I blame that on Manfred and Loria.  

I fully understand what he meant. Still, his message falls flat. Why is he addressing the fans? We have every right to be angry with new ownership for "difficult decisions." Judging the way the last decade and change has gone, we have a right to be angry until the day new ownership delivers. 

As far as I'm concerned, new ownership hasn't shown me they know what they're doing, and they sure as hell haven't shown any acknowledgement for the fans or players. 

As far as I'm concerned, new ownership hasn't shown me they know what they're doing, and they sure as hell haven't shown any acknowledgement for the fans or players. 

Yeah that's my biggest concern....it's pretty clear to me that Jeter is winging this, and he seems to be pulling a lot from Yankees org people. I wish he had some people in the organization besides Michael Hill who had some real experience and a proven track record.

Jeter's public attitude towards Stanton, where he hasn't even talked to him yet, is really telling

One thing to remember about Jeter........

Everywhere this guy goes people treat him like he is a God.  Do you think there is anyone on the planet standing up to Jeter saying, “uh, I don’t know Jeets, I think not reaching out for a 5 minute phone call with your MVP right fielder is a bad idea.”

no.