What are the most darkest depressing years in Marlins history?

SilverBullet

I know this seems cosmetic, but 2012-2017 have truly been the darkest, most depressing years in franchise history by a long shot.

I know I've debated this one with you before but I would love to have other people's opinions on this line because I myself feel like that's not true. At least not to me personally and I would love to hear if others agree or disagree.

What are the "darkest most depressing years" in Marlins history?

I know I've debated this one with you before but I would love to have other people's opinions on this line because I myself feel like that's not true. At least not to me personally and I would love to hear if others agree or disagree.

I dont think there is any individual group of years that are the most depressing.  Considering we've made the playoffs twice in 25 years, the majority have been dark and depressing and not all that fun to watch.  there are certain years more than others that are depressing.  2013 was awful.  If i recall correctly i think it was 2007 that was a complete clusterfuck.  98 was obviously terrible.  

I really hope Jeter plans to rebrand the franchise by either 2019 or 2020. I know this seems cosmetic, but 2012-2017 have truly been the darkest, most depressing years in franchise history by a long shot.

They really need a new logo, colors, uniforms, and removal of the HR sculpture in order to excise the rather painful memory of how egregiously incompetent and misguided everything has been managed under Loria, Hill, and Samson after the move to the new ballpark. 

I'm down with the new identity idea. is a must. Not sure why the city of Miami is so attached to that thing in CF

2016-2017 has been interesting seasons where for a moment looks like they had a chance to make the playoffs. 1998 i would say was the worst

I don't think they are. Most people hate it. Anyone who's warmed up to it is like me where it's ugly and they've only accepted it because "it's ours"... kinda like having an ugly kid. 

Fuck. I thought parents always find their kids handsome or beautiful. I didn't realize they are only living with or accepting the fact the kid is ugly.

I definitely put 1998-2002/early 2003 as darker because...

1. That was a real fire sale, as in a fire sale of a world series championship before thanksgiving even hit, and based off of saving money alone. The next fire sale people think was in 03 but it was actually in 05 after the 2004 and 2005 teams tried to contend and at least both had winning seasons. Every other fire sale was more disappointing than anything else but always came after multiple losing seasons.

2. Threats of contraction. There is none of that anymore. That's pretty huge I say. 

3. Ballpark. Having to endure that crappy football stadium? Come on. Complain about it all you want currently but there's no comparing Pro Player to Marlins park outside of just pure nostalgia.

4. No true superstar players. Even through down years from 2012 to 2017 we've been lucky to have players that were great amongst the best in the majors, not just "great for the Marlins"... Stanton Jose Ozuna Yelich and a few individual stand out seasons like Gordon in 2015. These things have really made 2012 to 2017 exciting at times even if it was only in spurts here and there. 

I've just enjoyed these last 5 years more than most other years except for the obvious ones like 97 03 09 and arguably 93 just because I was too naive to know that team sucked. 

Like I told someone this past season... "this is the most exciting crappy team I've ever watched." 

I don't think the playoffs chances over the last two years were too promising. There was a prolonged but ultimately short period  each season where they got hot and teased everybody, but the rosters were filled with holes. Slumps at other portions of the season signaled to me they weren't for real.

2009 was the last time I felt good about a roster although I never thought they were playoff bound.

4 straight winning months to open the 2016 season wasn't an "ultimately short period" though I'll admit there weren't many runs like that one but that season was pretty cool for a long time. 

4 straight winning months to open the 2016 season wasn't an "ultimately short period" though I'll admit there weren't many runs like that one but that season was pretty cool for a long time. 

We had 4 straight winnings months to open the 2016 season? I dont remember that at all.  

1998-99 is king amongst all of them - first to worst hard to top.  When Brian Meadows is your ace your team blows.  At least they had a competent GM at that point though.  It was also a shame because they still had somewhat of a fanbase at that point and Huizenga torched it to the point where it's never recovered since. 

post 2015 season and then 2016-18 is 2nd for me (even though 2018 hasn't happened yet).  2015 ends and T-Hut gets canned leading to a parade of bums trying to pick up the slack. 2016 featured the tragic death of hands-down the most exciting Marlin on the team and literally the ONLY player on the team people would actually show up to specifically watch. This year did have some excitement. we got to see a legit WS caliber offense (once fully healthy) that was really fun to watch - only to see it gone in the blink of an eye in the offseason, ironically at the hands of a brand new ownership group.  The light at the end of the tunnel ending being an oncoming train afterall.  Worst of all, Jeter trades the reigning NL MVP to the fucking Yankees of all teams thus losing any sliver of credibility he had left with the remaining people in Miami. There have just been so many cruel plot twists it's almost morphed into a modern day Grimm's Fairy tale.

The more recent seasons do seem worse because well, the past is the past and they eventally did win another title after 1997 which kinda washed away the stench but that firesale was what torpedoed this fanbase to a point it has never recovered and one could argue that that's why we've lost guys like Cabrera and Stanton since then.

I'd have to look at the numbers but winning months don't necessarily mean playoff bound. That possibility only really seemed realistic for 2 or at most 3 weeks when Stanton and other hitters were on fire. I think that was late July or early August but can't remember exactly.

Wow man you are the definition of glass half empty.

We weren't on pace to win 100 games but when you have a winning month in April, then another in May, then another in June, then another in July, then Aug 1st comes and you're 9 to 10 games above 500 in possession of (or close to) a Wild Card spot with a healthy Jose Fernandez and Giancarlo Stanton leading your team I think it's fair to feel like your team had a realistic possibility to make the playoffs. The collapse the next 2 months doesn't change how good that team looked overall those firsr four months. 

Wow man you are the definition of glass half empty.

We weren't on pace to win 100 games but when you have a winning month in April, then another in May, then another in June, then another in July, then Aug 1st comes and you're 9 to 10 games above 500 in possession of (or close to) a Wild Card spot with a healthy Jose Fernandez and Giancarlo Stanton leading your team I think it's fair to feel like your team had a realistic possibility to make the playoffs. The collapse the next 2 months doesn't change how good that team looked overall those firsr four months. 

I dont remember that team being nearly as good as you do.  The first 3 months of that year we were literally 1 game over .500 each month.  And it was painfully obvious that that team had not nearly enough pitching and no way of acquiring pitching.  I think it just speaks to how low our expectations are for the team that being like 6 or 7 games over .500 is anything meaningful or memorable.

12/09/17 Going forward will be the darkest.

I bought all of their bullshit in the previous fire sales or "market corrections".   I went along with it and always thought that a new stadium was the solution.  Then, a new owner would be the solution.  Well, here we are stuck with a shitty new ownership group tearing shit down again.  Fuck them all.  I will never give them the benefit of the doubt again.  I will still watch on TV but I won't be going to the stadium again for a long time.  I won't give Jeter my money until he earns it.

12/09/17 Going forward will be the darkest.

I bought all of their bullshit in the previous fire sales or "market corrections".   I went along with it and always thought that a new stadium was the solution.  Then, a new owner would be the solution.  Well, here we are stuck with a shitty new ownership group tearing shit down again.  Fuck them all.  I will never give them the benefit of the doubt again.  I will still watch on TV but I won't be going to the stadium again for a long time.  I won't give Jeter my money until he earns it.

absurd overreaction to a necessary deal

September 25, 2016 until approximately April of 2020 will be the darkest most depressing years of Marlins baseball. 

-Jose Fernandez dies on 09/25/2016.  In addition to years of mismanagement from the top down, this cripples the franchise. 

-In December of 2017, the Marlins trade the reigning MVP to the Yankees for a 2B with same 2017 WAR as Derek Deitrich and the Yankees #9 prospect.

-The 4th Marlins FIRE SALE in 20 years subjects the few remaining Marlins fans to at least another 2 years of playoff-less baseball.  

-In April of 2020, the Marlins go into Opening Day not having made the playoffs in 16 years.