Marlins Updated Top Prospects List

CyggyMarlin

Imagine how nice it would look if they trade Realmuto and sign Martinez. 

All this improvement of the farm system and the team hasn't even played a single game nor drafted a single player under Jeter and Co yet.

The people saying Jeter was only about saving money and wasn't really about acquiring talent are starting to lose that argument quicker than expected. 

How is Diaz so low? Wasn't he a top 100 prospect, or was that ranking outdated?

He was but he had an injury in is hand this year so his performance wasnt what he was capable of and thus he will fall a little bit.  Not the worst thing in the world because according to Keith Law he played well in the winter league he has played in this offseason.  Looks like the marlins did a really good job in buying low.

So now that the Yelich trade is done, the point i made a few weeks ago of us having one of the best farm systems in the league if we decide to trade everyone comes a little bit more to fruition.  That system looks really good already and my point hinged on us also trading JT, Bour, Straily, Castro, Barraclough, Prado, etc.  Imagine adding the returns for those guys to what we've assembled this offseason.  Hopefully we do that because this farm would look incredible.

Also, really interesting to me that they put Harrison ahead of Alcantara.  Would presumably mean that all 3 of those guys and maybe guzman as well would be in their top 100 that gets released tomorrow.

I had no idea that Brinson made his Major league debut last year. He struggled as expected but also hit a couple bombs against the Nationals. Excited to see what Brinson and Harrison do. Be nice for them to line up in the outfield together with Harrison in right and I am assuming Brinson in LF with Mags in CF.

I had no idea that Brinson made his Major league debut last year. He struggled as expected but also hit a couple bombs against the Nationals. Excited to see what Brinson and Harrison do. Be nice for them to line up in the outfield together with Harrison in right and I am assuming Brinson in LF with Mags in CF.

Yup, according to Lou we need to keep him down till May 8 to get an extra year of team control, so hopefully we do so.

I would honestly wanna wait until June and avoid the Super 2 cut off.

I think the plan should be tp keep all of these guys down until around june/trade deadline time.  Sign a few guys to a few 1 year deals after we deal Starlin and Straily before the year.

Start the year with

C- 1 year deal guy

1b- Bour

2b- Prado

SS- Rojas/Riddle

3b- Anderson

LF- Dietrich

CF- 1 year deal guy

RF- Cooper/Van Slyke

Rotation of- Conley, Urena, Nicolino, Chen, Smith, Despaigne, O'Grady, etc for the first few months.  

We will stink, but strategically it would be smart because it would allow guys like Bour and Prado to hopefully increase their value a little bit, we would be terrible so we'd get a higher pick, and then you start moving guys around the deadlines for each individual guy to gain an extra year of team control.  Alcantara, Neidert, Brinson,  Sierra, Gallen, and Peters then all come up when their individual deadlines pass and you have 2-3 months of evaluating how we did in these trades as well as a little optimism to end the year hopefully and go into next offseason continuing the rebuild.

We can officially start filling out future potential rosters at each position.

C- Up in the air.  I think we get a stop gap and then address the position in one of the forthcoming trades.

1b- Same with C.  I think we look at 1b in a Realmuto trade potentially. Maybe James Nelson switches corners in the future?

2b- Diaz

SS- Devers/Torres

3b- anderson/maybe Nelson/Dunand

OF- Sierra, Brinson, Harrison, Miller, 

SP- Guzman, Alcantara, Peters, Urena, Rogers, Garrett, Neidert, Gallen, Kolek?, Richards, Conley.

Some of those guys will flop, but that is a solid base of pitching depth.  Good combination of risky high ceiling guys with a bunch of lower ceiling but high floor back end of rotation pieces.

We're in a really good place for year 1 of a rebuild.  And that is without the returns on a Starlin, Straily, Realmuto, Barraclough, and Bour trade.

I don’t think it’s a given that Realmuto gets traded. And Bour definitely looks like he’s staying at least until July.

I think he will be offered an extension and if he doesnt take it he will 100% get dealt.  And ya, Bour will be the one guy around till July just because of the depth of his type of player in free agency.  If he hits like he has hit his entire career (.800+ OPS) he will be a valuable trade chip in July.

I love that we're now getting a better picture of what Jeter intends the next winning core to be. It's exciting.

This.  I just really hope the fans are patient, because this is being done the right way and in a way in which sustainable winning year in and year out can occur.  In a few years we are going to have all of these guys in the majors with a few years of experience still making the minimum so if they make serious progress we could theoretically add a significant free agent or 2 to fill any left over holes. 

I think the plan should be tp keep all of these guys down until around june/trade deadline time.  Sign a few guys to a few 1 year deals after we deal Starlin and Straily before the year.

Start the year with

C- 1 year deal guy

1b- Bour

2b- Prado

SS- Rojas/Riddle

3b- Anderson

LF- Dietrich

CF- 1 year deal guy

RF- Cooper/Van Slyke

Rotation of- Conley, Urena, Nicolino, Chen, Smith, Despaigne, O'Grady, etc for the first few months.  

We will stink, but strategically it would be smart because it would allow guys like Bour and Prado to hopefully increase their value a little bit, we would be terrible so we'd get a higher pick, and then you start moving guys around the deadlines for each individual guy to gain an extra year of team control.  Alcantara, Neidert, Brinson,  Sierra, Gallen, and Peters then all come up when their individual deadlines pass and you have 2-3 months of evaluating how we did in these trades as well as a little optimism to end the year hopefully and go into next offseason continuing the rebuild.

I think that is a solid plan. Cooper can also take over at 1B if/when Bour is traded.

I think that is a solid plan. Cooper can also take over at 1B if/when Bour is traded.

Yup. Im really hoping they do the smart thing like that.  Treat it like 2014 when they had a shit team and then brought up Yelich and Marisnick (was a top prospect at that point) at mid season.  Dont worry about this year.  Sign a bunch of guys to 1 year deals so that we're at least respectable and throwing major league players out there, but dont worry about this year.  We'll compete for the number 1 pick, and thats fine.  Just be patient, let these guys develop, and make smart business decisions by getting the extra year of team control for all of these guys. 

All of this is being done with multiple MAJOR LEAGUE championships as the ultimate goal. Just not in 2018. I hope this rebuild works so that one day you can see what we've been telling you all along. 

Theres nothing you can do if people dont understand the incentive to have as many cheap, team controlled, good players as possible.  Especially in a market like this.

How is Diaz so low? Wasn't he a top 100 prospect, or was that ranking outdated?

The new list comes out tomorrow night.  I'm assuming by our current rankings that Harrison will be in the top 100 and that Diaz will be falling off.  Doesn't really matter as I think Diaz is still a good prospect.