Marlins showing interest in Melky Cabrera

SonOfJack

Apparently he cant play the field anymore supposedly but he'd be a good addition to take some playing time early in the season to hopefully keep brinson down for a month and Sierra down until at least the all star break and then hopefully deal him at the deadline.  Whether you like the tear down or not, you gotta like that the front office appears to not be half assing it and hopefully they will be smart with most of these guys service time to start the year.  Wanna see more 1 year deals of this type.

Apparently he cant play the field anymore supposedly but he'd be a good addition to take some playing time early in the season to hopefully keep brinson down for a month and Sierra down until at least the all star break and then hopefully deal him at the deadline.  Whether you like the tear down or not, you gotta like that the front office appears to not be half assing it and hopefully they will be smart with most of these guys service time to start the year.  Wanna see more 1 year deals of this type.

You have to be kidding...

• 2 weeks later...
I think Cabrera is a good idea. Guy has been very productive at the plate the last 4 years and I sure as shit don’t understand the sudden interest in having Dietrich in left.

Where should Deitrich play then?

Hopefully you’re not suggesting that a guy worth 3.5 wins over the last 2 seasons is not good enough to play on a team likely to win 60-65 games?

I'm fine with Dietrich having an outfield spot if it delays the prospect call ups. I also don't give a shit about how many games the Marlins lose in 2018 because I would like a better draft position too.

But Dietrich's value is going to fall off a bit when you consider that he's going to play most of his innings in LF. His value was as high as it was because he has ok pop for a 3B or 2B despite not so great defense.

I don’t disagree with any of that. 

I’d prefer Deitrich play 2B and they launch Castro tomorrow. 

It's not like they're dying to put Dietrich in left. He's basically a veteran here and we know what he provides and him playing left delays the rush of our outfield prospects and one could argue he's "earned" an opportunity like this. There's no point in using him only as a bench piece at this point. Also, Castro is still here for now so that makes Dietrich the left fielder.