Victor Victor officially declared free agent

Bazen

Frisaro says don't rule out even more trades to acquire more pool money.

Holy shit the Marlins are serious about this trio.

It's greedy but it's that good kind of greedy.

Getting this done would be a huge sign that Jeter ain't fucking around. 

It would also improve our farm system tremendously.

Not to be a wet blanket but on what basis are teams high on these guys?  Don’t get me wrong, I really want the Marlins to get all three and I want them to be studs and Cuban in Miami and all that.  But on occasion you see the stray remark about VV being a singles hitter and V Jr being included just to lure VV. Also Sandy is quite young from what I gather.  

This isn’t a critique just an honest question. 

Not to be a wet blanket but on what basis are teams high on these guys?  Don’t get me wrong, I really want the Marlins to get all three and I want them to be studs and Cuban in Miami and all that.  But on occasion you see the stray remark about VV being a singles hitter and V Jr being included just to lure VV. Also Sandy is quite young from what I gather.  

You're doing it wrong, you're supposed to question the talent of these players AFTER the Marlins sign them. Until then, they are 100% future Hall of Famers.

Yeah to me it seems like the main reason VV is this season's top IFA is because it's way easier to project a guy that's already 22. Many see him as at least a good 4th OF, which is more than you can say for all the other 16/17 year old IFAs. That being said obviously I want us to sign him but I'm not convinced he's immediately our best prospect.

Yeah to me it seems like the main reason VV is this season's top IFA is because it's way easier to project a guy that's already 22. Many see him as at least a good 4th OF, which is more than you can say for all the other 16/17 year old IFAs. That being said obviously I want us to sign him but I'm not convinced he's immediately our best prospect.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong on this but the slot money disappears if it goes unused.  So basically the prospects we moved to get this money would have been given up for nothing if we sign nobody.  Are we better off signing these three guys or 6-7 other guys that are younger that command less?  I’m not up on the talent pool. Obviously the interest in them extends beyond Baltimore and Miami so it would seem there is something to their potential.  I also wonder if there is an element is self promotion here.  Perhaps we’ve already locked them up and there is a bit of team generated hype to boost morale ahead of the signing.  That’s a bit far fetched I know but just thinking or all the odd explanations 

Back to the other talent thought, signing more guys at a lower cost would seem to fit with what we are doing in raising our whole farm system 

And that’s exactly why they are called prospects, you just truly don’t know how they will perform. Some have all the tanlent in the world and they cant flourish on the field, others dont look the part but become game changers. 

Right now we need all the talent we can get. What they end up becoming, we’ll just have to wait and see...

1. Diego Cartaya*, C, Venezuela -- Dodgers ($2,500,000) More »

2. Marco Luciano*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Giants ($2,600,000) More »

3. Misael Urbina*, OF, Venezuela -- Twins (2,750,000) More »

4. Orelvis Martinez*, SS, Dominican Republic -- Blue Jays ($3,500,000) More »

5. Richard Gallardo*, RHP, Venezuela -- Cubs ($1,000,000) More »

6. Gabriel Rodriguez*, SS, Venezuela -- Indians ($2,100,000) More »

7. Noelvi Marte*, SS, Dominican Republic -- Mariners ($1,550,000) More »

8. Starlyn Castillo*, RHP, Dominican Republic -- Phillies ($1,600,000) More »

9. Osiel Rodriguez, RHP, Cuba -- Yankees More »

10. Kevin Alcantara, SS, Dominican Republic -- Yankees More »

11. Antonio Gomez*, C, Venezuela -- Yankees ($600,000) More »

12. Junior Sanquintin*, SS, Dominican Republic -- Indians ($1,250,000) More »

13. Francisco Alvarez*, C, Venezuela -- Mets ($2,700,000) More »

14. Sandy Gaston, RHP, Cuba

15. Jose De La Cruz*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Tigers (1,800,000) More »

16. Alvin Guzman*, OF, Dominican Republic -- D-backs (1,850,000) More »

17. Jose Lopez*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Cubs ($1,500,000) More »

18. Eduarqui Fernandez*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Brewers ($1,100,000) More »

19. Adinso Reyes*, SS, Dominican Republic -- Tigers ($1,450,000) More »

20. Eduardo Garcia, SS, Venezuela -- Brewers More »

21. Jose Rodriguez*, C, Venezuela -- Rangers ($2,000,000) More »

22. Alejandro Pie*, SS, Dominican Republic -- Rays ($1,400,000) More »

23. Eduardo Lopez*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Red Sox ($1,150,000) More »

24. Alexander Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic -- Angels More »

25. Freddy Valdez*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Mets ($1,450,000) More »

26. Branlyn Jaraba*, SS, Colombia -- Brewers ($1,100,000) More »

27. Luis Matos*, OF, Venezuela -- Giants ($725,000) More »

28. Joel Machado*, LHP, Venezuela -- Cubs ($850,000) More »

29. Denny Larrondo*, RHP, Cuba -- Yankees ($550,000) More »

30. Jerming Rosario*, RHP, Dominican Republic -- Dodgers ($600,000) More »

It's the list of the signing bonus for other 28 prospects in the top 30,so how much were needed to sign V.V. and Gaston ?

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong on this but the slot money disappears if it goes unused.  So basically the prospects we moved to get this money would have been given up for nothing if we sign nobody.  Are we better off signing these three guys or 6-7 other guys that are younger that command less?  I’m not up on the talent pool. Obviously the interest in them extends beyond Baltimore and Miami so it would seem there is something to their potential.  I also wonder if there is an element is self promotion here.  Perhaps we’ve already locked them up and there is a bit of team generated hype to boost morale ahead of the signing.  That’s a bit far fetched I know but just thinking or all the odd explanations 

Back to the other talent thought, signing more guys at a lower cost would seem to fit with what we are doing in raising our whole farm system 

Give me quality over quantity. Remember, at the end of the day we have so many minor league teams to go around. You can’t just think about signing as many as you can because where will they play? You don’t want to dilute the development of some of your players because of playing time.

Any international free anget left at this point are more bodies than talent. Mesa brother’s and Gaston are still around because their specific circumstances. 

And that’s exactly why they are called prospects, you just truly don’t know how they will perform. Some have all the tanlent in the world and they cant flourish on the field, others dont look the part but become game changers. 

Right now we need all the talent we can get. What they end up becoming, we’ll just have to wait and see...

One of the more intriguing aspects of this model applies to Gaston.  I believe he’s 16. That’s gives the club control over some very formative years of his development as a pitcher which you would not have with a domestic kid drafted. Not a pitcher but a nice example of this is Wily Adames.  The Tigers got him at 16 and started his development. The Rays got him in the Price deal as a third piece and he really blossomed in their farm.  Obviously we are still sorting out our farm and if Denbo can straighten out player development it could be that those younger ones have more value.  Almost like a youth academy in soccer 

4. Orelvis Martinez*, SS, Dominican Republic -- Blue Jays ($3,500,000)

9. Osiel Rodriguez, RHP, Cuba -- Yankees

It's the list of the signing bonus for other 28 prospects in the top 30,so how much were needed to sign V.V. and Gaston ?

I was looking at the article yesterday. My thinking VV Mesa would want top dollar since he’s regarded as the #1 prospect, so you are looking @ 3.5M similar to Orelvis Martinez or above. Gaston i can see signing for the going rate of cuban pitchers this year, which has been 600k similar to Osiel Rodriguez or less. Mesa Jr. is the wild card here...100k-1M.