Quijada and Garcia DFA'd

Admin

I'm not surprised in the sense that they've already got a bunch of good talent so at this point most DFAs are gonna be surprising and are gonna mostly sting. There isn't much real dead weight on the 40 man roster anymore is my point so while it sucks I'm glad they're trying to upgrade instead of standing pat. Tough decisions will have to be made.

• Like 3

I think it's just kinda funny that in 2018 and 2019 it was like "Come see all these exciting young players who are gonna all be part of the next great Marlins team!!!!"... and now it's already feeling like they're kicking so many of those players to the curb.

Yes it's good that they're getting better and not hanging on to the excess but it's a weird cycle in hindsight.

It's almost like a reverse fire sale? Get rid of all the shitty players you got used to because now we're bringing in good ones!!! AHHHH!!!!!

• Like 1

Should have been Dugger, but Jarlin and Quijada are both below replacement level and would just be organizational depth on most teams, so whatevz

I can't believe you and Jack's son keep saying it should be Dugger. It will not be Dugger until they actually acquire more starting pitchers or until the minor league starting pitchers start advancing.

For all the starting pitching depth they've got now there's a rather large gap between who is and isn't major league ready. Dugger is the 6th guy on the SP depth chart right now and then after that is a crop of talented guys who will not be in the majors until later into this season or later than that.

The way the roster is constructed now (losing Richards and Gallen and Chen and moving Urena to the pen) Dugger is actually needed right now.

• Like 3

Righty Brigham is better choice than lefty Garcia?? I expected Brigham will be DFA'd definitely.

Brigham has better strikeout stuff.

They didn’t have to DFA Brigham or Jarlin, there were other options. Don’t really get the Jarlin DFA even if his 3.02 ERA was a fluke last year. I would imagine several teams would want Jarlin vía trade.

Call me on my bullshit if this is just crazy talk, but could this be the completion of a backdoor trade with the Orioles? They're first on the waiver claim list, and we got Villar under similar mysterious circumstances. Could this just be an elaborate, preconceived, under-the-radar deal?

Call me on my bullshit if this is just crazy talk, but could this be the completion of a backdoor trade with the Orioles? They're first on the waiver claim list, and we got Villar under similar mysterious circumstances. Could this just be an elaborate, preconceived, under-the-radar deal?

But why be mysterious about it? What would be the rationale?

• Like 1

But why be mysterious about it? What would be the rationale?

I don't know! Maybe they sidestep some archaic fees that I'm not aware of by sidestepping a conventional deal? I really don't know, but I also can't explain why they would get rid of Garcia, who led the Marlins in 2019 with a 1.105 WHIP and a 141 ERA+. I just don't get it when Conley remains on the roster.