Marlins to continue paying minor leaguers

I can’t help but have a cynical opinion of this. The Marlins have a lot at stake with a big group of players that are minor league players. It would stand to reason that they’d want to do what it takes to stay in the good graces of that generation of players in the organization. It wouldn’t be surprising to me if we saw a division among ownership groups where others teams in a similar spot on the lifecycle as the marlins make the same choice

I can’t help but have a cynical opinion of this. The Marlins have a lot at stake with a big group of players that are minor league players. It would stand to reason that they’d want to do what it takes to stay in the good graces of that generation of players in the organization. It wouldn’t be surprising to me if we saw a division among ownership groups where others teams in a similar spot on the lifecycle as the marlins make the same choice

*rolls up the newspaper and starts thwapping*

Bad Thrillho, bad! No cynicism! We do that outside!

But no, you may have a point. It's certainly good PR, if nothing else.

Even if they're doing it for good PR at least they're doing it because I compare that thought to Loria who often did things even when it was obvious the PR would be bad. PR shouldn't be the priority in decision making but I think I'd rather have them considering it than not.

Loria would have demanded Hill trade the prospects for aging veterans on bad contracts so long as the other team also covers the contracts. Bleday would have been traded the first good week he had.

Even if they're doing it for good PR at least they're doing it because I compare that thought to Loria who often did things even when it was obvious the PR would be bad. PR shouldn't be the priority in decision making but I think I'd rather have them considering it than not.

I didn’t mean that it was a PR move. I just meant that the club just may have more invested in that particular group of guys in the minors so offering to pay them would be the obvious thing to do when you dealt away so many proven big leaguers to rebuild the farm system like ten minutes ago

I didn’t mean that it was a PR move. I just meant that the club just may have more invested in that particular group of guys in the minors so offering to pay them would be the obvious thing to do when you dealt away so many proven big leaguers to rebuild the farm system like ten minutes ago

Oh I misread the post then but yea I agree with your point as well. This minor league roster is more important to us than it would be for many other teams right now so gotta treat them right.

Every single principal owner of a baseball team could pay every single minor leaguer in the team's system for the next 10 years and still not even notice a difference in their overall wealth.

Remember a lot of the owners are billionaires, and remember that the difference between a million and a billion is approximately one billion.