Baseball's unwritten rules, which do you agree with?

MLB.com came up with a list of common unwritten rules in baseball, I'm gonna list them and you tell me if you agree or disagree with each, or feel free to discuss them more as I'm sure some are not as clear as a yes or no in every situation.

In my opinion, I generally agree with the ones that frown upon blatantly disrespecting the opposing team, but any that would mean to change the way you play the game just to make it easier for an opponent is pretty lame.

-Don’t steal bases, swing at 3-0 pitches or otherwise run up the score when ahead by a large margin.

-Don’t steal bases or strut after home runs when behind by a large margin.

-Don’t swing at the first pitch after the pitcher has allowed back-to-back home runs.

-Don’t show up your opponent.

-Don’t show up your fielders. (when someone commits a fielding error, pitchers and other fielders can't react expressively)

-Throwing at hitters is the conventional retaliation. (one fair and clean plunking is ok)

-Pitchers relieved mid-inning must stay in the dugout until the end of the inning.

-Don’t step on the pitcher’s mound.

-Don’t walk in front of the catcher. (when walking to the batter's box on the opposite side go behind the catcher and ump not in front)

-Don’t talk about a no-hitter in progress. (including broadcasters)

-Don’t bunt during a no-hitter. (bunt for a hit attempt)

-Don’t use your closer in a tie game on the road.

-Never make the first or third out of the inning at third base.

-Don’t yell anything when an opposing fielder is trying to catch a ball. (an intentional distraction like A-Rod once did)

-The center fielder gets the ball. (CF has priority when a ball can be caught by multiple outfielders)

-Never rub the area where you were hit by a pitch.

-For adult fans: If you catch a foul ball, give it to a nearby kid.

• SilverBullet changed the title to Baseball's unwritten rules, which do you agree with?

-Don’t steal bases, swing at 3-0 pitches or otherwise run up the score when ahead by a large margin.

Stupid rule, the game isn't over until it is actually over. There have been big comebacks before.

This makes sense, no player should steal when his team is down by a lot. It hurts your own team's chances of coming back and is selfish. Strutting when down by a lot is also selfish.

-Don’t swing at the first pitch after the pitcher has allowed back-to-back home runs.

Dumb rule

Dumb rule. Don't give up the hit/run if you don't want to be shown up.

-Don’t show up your fielders. (when someone commits a fielding error, pitchers and other fielders can't react expressively)

I agree with this one

-Throwing at hitters is the conventional retaliation. (one fair and clean plunking is ok)

Fine with this as long as you aim for a meaty area like the ass

-Pitchers relieved mid-inning must stay in the dugout until the end of the inning.

Don't see why this should be a rule

Stupid rule

-Don’t walk in front of the catcher. (when walking to the batter's box on the opposite side go behind the catcher and ump not in front)

Stupid rule

Stupid rule. As Vin Scully once said "It's insulting the listeners to make them think they're silly and superstitious enough to believe my telling them that a no-hitter is going will affect the game."

Partially agree with this one, it is cheap. But I also can see why a team would do it if they can still win a game and a bunt helps that happen.

Disagree, if he's the best pitcher remaining. Need to extend the game before worrying about future save opportunities in the game.

Agreed

-Don’t yell anything when an opposing fielder is trying to catch a ball. (an intentional distraction like A-Rod once did)

It makes sense to have it this way or every fly ball would just have both teams doing it and it'd get old and dumb.

-The center fielder gets the ball. (CF has priority when a ball can be caught by multiple outfielders)

Yes, results in less errors and collisions.

Stupid

Disagree. As an adult, I don't have a foul ball despite going to many games. I'd like to have one at some point, but I get peer pressured into giving it away every time I've had one

I accidentally did it the opposite of @SonOfJack with bolded "rules" and regular responses and am too lazy to reverse it.....

Eh, crazy things happen in baseball, so I think this depends on the inning - if you're up big early, there's still a lot of game left - look at the Marlins a few weeks ago, we went up big and then wound up losing.  That said, stealing yeah, I'll agree if the margin is huge.  3-0 pitches, eh, a good pitch is a good pitch.

Similar thoughts to above - depends on what inning it is.  If there's enough innings left, you could be helping your team create runs to mount a comeback.  The strutting after home runs, I agree.

Eh, a good pitch is a good pitch.

Agree.

Agree, though human nature will certainly take over if you think you're out of an inning and the guy makes an error.

Sure, to an extent.

Yeah, why wouldn't they?  For that matter, why would they leave the dugout at all during the game (unless they needed medical attention, ice, etc., or obviously this year is a bit different).

Meh, who cares.

Another meh, who cares for me.....as long as you're not interfering with warmup pitches, its not a big deal to me.

Differs for radio and TV for me - radio, I feel it's an obligation, as there's no other reference for the listener - they wouldn't otherwise no because they can't see anything.  With TV, they can pop up the mini score box or box score to show there's no hits, and I hate when they mention it as a viewer.

Game and scenario dependent for me.  If it's a close game (say, 0-0 or 0-1 or something), I don't have a problem with it, as there's still a chance for that team to win if they can get through to be able to score.  Also don't have a problem with it if it's in the early innings (maybe 1-5).  But in a bigger margin game, and/or especially in later innings, I'd say no, don't do it.

Dumb.  You're trying to win the game - if he's the best pitcher you have available, you use him.  Didn't even know that was one.

Agree.

Agree.

Agree.

Meh, who cares.  I'm sure it hurts, especially depending on where you get hit.

I too have never gotten a foul ball, I've been close to some, but haven't gotten one.  And who's to say you don't have a kid at home that wants the ball.  I don't, but that could be the case.

My thought is if you have a little kid RIGHT next to you or maybe right in front of/behind you and you don't have a kid at home, go ahead and give it to the kid, especially if they were trying to catch it.  Sure, it'd be fun to have one yourself, but you could make that kid's experience so much better.

Edited by rmc523

-Don't agree, player plays with money incentives in their contracts, think about yourself if you need a X amount of HR/RBI to receive additional money. Also no lead is safe.

-Don't agree, no lead is safe. Strutting HR maybe, depends on who hit it (rookie, a  player not known for power)

- WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, pitch better 

- Agree, unless they start chirping

- Agree

- Below the waist, one batter, move on. 

- Agree

- Disagree, just don't impede the pitcher from warming up.

- Disagree, just don't impede the pitcher from warming up.

- Disagree, either its gonna happen or its not. 

- Disagree, you don't want to be on the other side of a personal accolade, by all means try to ruin it.

- Depends on how good the pen is and the lineup coming up for the home team.

- Agree, i think its a no brainer.

- Agree, this isn't little league. Though the player being yelled out in a professional, so it really shouldn't distract him.

- Agree, need to have someone deemed in charge so you don't assume the other is going to catch it. 

- Agree, smile at the pitcher and walk to first. Then rub it when he's not looking.

- Agree, unless you're with your significant other, unless they don't want it.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

If they have a problem with it they can always throw in the white towel. Never understood this. Pretty childish if you have a problem with the opponent putting full effort because you are losing bad. If a manager wants to limit injury risk, he can take his stars out of the game. At the same time if your own manager tells you to let up you should do so.

The pitcher should pitch better.

Let the kids play. With that in mind, if you have a problem with the pitcher fist pumping after striking you out, but you like to pimp your homers, you deserve one on your ass.

Agree

Sure, but don't do it because you don't like fun.

Players should support their teammates especially when there are runners that you are responsible for on base. However, if their teammates are okay with it, I have no problem with the pitcher going straight to the clubhouse.

Yes. It is such an awkward path and I only see a position player deliberately stepping on the mound to get in the pitcher's head. I wouldn't want the catcher to shift the dirt with his cleats directly before I stepped in the box.

Don't like it, but you shouldn't get beaned or anything for doing it unless you disrupt a throw.

I'm too superstitious to do it, but feel free to do it in front of me.

No problem with it.

You should be able to use your best players at any point in the game (as long as they have not been subbed out) regardless of whether it is a closer on the road in a tie game or when subbing out a pitcher who had faced fewer than 3 guys.

Somewhat agree, but don't be too predictable. You can make attempts to steal with 2 outs or extend a double with no outs. Just don't make stupid running mistakes. But, you shouldn't do that regardless of the number of outs.

Yes.

The team should assign priorities. Maybe that is the CF. Maybe it is always the corner outfields. Depends on the team. You should always call for it no matter the player and if no one else calls you off, go for it.

What are you, a bitch? But seriously, don't exaggerate it for sympathy/

It's a good gesture and would make the kid's day, but if you have never gotten a ball, I would not be surprised if you kept it.

1 hour ago, CoastieMike said:

- Below the waist, one batter, move on. 

But when the batter stupidly puts his elbow in the way to keep the ball from hitting him on the ass, don't bitch that the pitcher tried to destroy his elbow.

I can't say I can recall a player mocking someone for making a fielding error before?  I mean I would think that would be common sense? 

That said, I'd love a clear example of that! 

I'm in 100% favor of scoring as many damn runs as you possibly can in any fashion possible, it's kinda your job to score runs just like it's the other teams job to stop you from scoring runs so those arguments are bullshit every single time.  I mean just hit a home run...that'll stop the rally anyway.

All these rules unwritten or implied are from a different era of baseball where players pretty much stayed on teams for the majority of their careers and pitchers had to hit -eventually you'd get a shot to get your revenge or to face the consequences of any transgressions you committed.  Baseball is a far different game these days and no matter what the score the winning team still needs to get 27 outs, not like you can take a knee or run out the clock. 

Despite the different era I'd still say if you do violate the rules you should expect to get drilled

-Don’t steal bases, swing at 3-0 pitches or otherwise run up the score when ahead by a large margin.

I disagree within reason because you gotta play to score runs and anything less is basically asking a team to go easy and this isn't little league. But the stolen base is the trickiest one because a stolen base can come off as taking advantage of a struggling pitcher. If my team has a huge lead and is getting continuous hits there's no need to steal a base there. A stolen base to me is a way to try and get an advantage in a close game when one or two runs can make a difference so in a blowout it is a little bit arrogant to keep stealing bases. 

Definitely agree to not pimp a home run when behind unless that homer ties the game or gives you the lead. That looks ridiculous. Stealing a base when behind by a lot is dumb just because you risk losing baserunners so dont do it for that reason more than because it shows anyone up.

Disagree

Agree but that also doesn't mean to never celebrate or show emotion. It also greatly depends what the mannerisms are because there's a huge difference between celebrating your own accomplishment and mocking the opponent. Pump your fist when you hit the bomb but run the bases do not stand at the plate staring at it. I also have a big issue with the pitchers who think it's ok to celebrate a K but get mad when a hitter celebrates a homer, there's way too many pitchers like that. And also I do think it's ok to purposely give back a little disrespect if your opponent did it to you, within reason of course. A few years back Stanton pimped a homer off Jason Grilli only because Grilli celebrated a strikeout of Stanton. Tbh both are silly at that point but I can understand Stanton repaying it.

-Don’t show up your fielders. (when someone commits a fielding error, pitchers and other fielders can't react expressively)

100% agree. And it's ok to naturally react but do not point or yell at the fielder which would single him out. Be a good teammate and suck it up and then talk it out as teammates in the dugout but never get upset about it. 

Nowhere near the head and make sure it's a soft pitch, it needs to be a symbolic message not an actual intent to hurt. Do not escalate it though! One for one and move on. I also think umpires need to be more cognizant of this and don't throw unnecessary warnings out as the warnings usually penalize the wrong team. Also the reason needs to be simple and not some stupid grudge from way back. Do not plunk a guy because he hit a homer off you a year ago that is so stupid. And don't be plunking people for someone else. You deal with the problem yourself, don't make some random reliever who had nothing to do with the problem have to throw your plunking two days later and then have to suffer the consequences of that. Also, dont headhunt for other teams or for things you weren't directly involved in. 

Yeah, why wouldn't they? Didn't realize this was a thjng though.

-Don’t step on the pitcher’s mound.

I wanna say who cares but this does feel very easy to avoid and thus if you are the one guy who constantly does it then yeah I think I'd question if you were doing it just to be a dick. I think there's no real reason to do this so why do it? It's too random to ignore. It's like if I saw someone sitting on my front lawn, I would wonder why and be a little bothered. 

-Don’t walk in front of the catcher. (when walking to the batter's box on the opposite side go behind the catcher and ump not in front)

Like the one above this feels avoidable but I think I agree with this one more because it's just etiquette. It's like if you walked between two people who were in a conversation it's just rude like if you were looking for attention.

I don't mind this, its silly to think it matters but I do like when broadcasters mention it but purposely avoid actually saying "no hitter" because that feels like a good medium of letting the viewer know something big is happening but still respecting this rule. Like when they say "hey we cant say what's happening but check out the hits column, there's a zero there, they haven't gotten a base runner yet" etc etc. To me that's more like a tradition more than a superstition and I think it just works. I really don't like when broadcasters refuse to mention it at all because viewers may truly not have noticed and it would be nice to point it out the right way. As far as in the dugout yea maybe you shouldn't mention it just to not be the guy to ruin it, again more out of tradition and respect than superstition. Definitely don't purposely ruin this one though like don't be like HEY EVERYONE WE HAVE A NO HITTER GOING ON.

Many variables in this one and there are also different types of bunts. The inning and the score matter greatly here, also the type of hitter at the plate. Also there are some cheap bunts like when there's a shift on and a power hitter purposely bunts away from the shift to steal a hit omg don't do that or you deserve a beaning. Sacrifice bunts when you're down by one are fine. 

How is this a rule? I can understand a manager wanting to save the closer here but this shouldn't be an unwritten rule. If he's the right guy for the situation you use him. Is this supposed to upset people if it's done? I just don't see the issue here.

-Never make the first or third out of the inning at third base.

Agree but another one that isn't an unwritten rule this is just playing smart. It's just dumb to do, it's bad baserunning and hurts your team so don't do it. 

Agree. This one is low, very classless. 

Agree for the sake of coordinating plays and avoiding injuries but that CF better be very clear whether he has it or not. It's not the corner outfielders fault if a ball was not caught if the CF didn't announce that he needed help... and if the CF says he's got it he better have it. Also I think if you have a veteran or a team leader at a corner position and a rookie in CF I can see this rule being waived like let's say Ichiro is in RF maybe he gets priority over a rookie CF but the team and the outfielders need to decide this beforehand to be clear.

It probably depends on the pitch. If it's a soft plunking you ignore it as a way of accepting it and moving on but if you drilled me maybe it's understandable to check the hit but then again maybe sucking up the hard hits is a bit of a way to prove themselves too so maybe yea never do this just as a way of saying I'm ok no hard feelings let's move on. 

Not necessarily. I caught a foul ball once and immediately thought of my young nephew who was at home and so I said no to a kid that came and asked for it. It's ok to keep it but a huge no no is to not steal it from a kid that almost had it. I've seen that happen way more than I care to admit and that's not cool. It's nice to give it to a kid if you can but I have no problem if someone keeps it for themselves or for their own children. 

fuck off and just suck less, this wont be an issue anyway.

dont give up a home run.

dont groove a pitch and this wont happen.

define 'show up'. Express emotion, who cares its a sport, emotion should happen.  be a dickhead, you shouldnt.

agree

not in head.

agree

depends on superstition level

depends on if you are trying to prove a point or send a message.

i find this hilarious.

this is bush league to bunt, unless its a close game.  last 3 innings unless its a 1 or 2 run game and you legit bunt semi regularly for base hits (only those with over shifts even try this today)

so old and outdated.

usually a bad idea strategically.

total bush league.

should be but all about communication

be a fucking man

whatever.