Jarlin Garcia has a 0.00 ERA through 10 games

DTrain

1 hour ago, DTrain said:

Wish we had guys like that

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about the Marlins, in the last week especially, is that we could have a roster of the best pitchers in the world*, but if the batters can’t get hits at key moments of the game then it really would not matter very much at all.

*Come to think of it, technically we do have some of the best pitchers in the world, guys like Pablo Lopez, Sixto Sanchez, Elieser Hernandez, and Sandy at his best are probably like in the top 1% of all pitchers on the planet.

P.S. I was about to make another Robert Dugger joke here, but I’ll give it a break for a day or two. 😅

Edited by SirFishFan

12 minutes ago, Michael said:

Just the fact that they're in the Big Leagues makes them that.

To be fair. ❤️ 

That was the basic idea of the Robert Dugger joke I skipped. 😂

But you are correct. I was originally going to write in the top 1/10th of 1% but was afraid of coming across too hyperbolic, so wanted to generalize my statement. However with the way Pablo is pitching(6th best ERA out of all pitchers in MLB) I can feel comfortable saying that about him so far this season.

Edited by SirFishFan

17 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

That was the basic idea of the Robert Dugger joke I skipped. 😂

But you are correct. I was originally going to write in the top 1/10th of 1% but was afraid of coming across too hyperbolic, so wanted to generalize my statement. However with the way Pablo is pitching(6th best ERA out of all pitchers in MLB) I can feel comfortable saying that about him so far this season.

Nah. Top 1% of the top 1% of the top 1%. The literal best. Go all in, friend!

16 minutes ago, Michael said:

Nah. Top 1% of the top 1% of the top 1%. The literal best. Go all in, friend!

Hahahaha. Ok. So even though the Marlins have the top 1% of the 1% of the top 1% of pitchers on their roster, but when they are down one run and have runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and Corey Dickerson pops up the ball to the infield and Jorge Alfaro grounds out, then it makes a great pitching performances like last Friday and Saturday’s games extra painful to watch. 😂

10 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Hahahaha. Ok. So even though the Marlins have the top 1% of the 1% of the top 1% of pitchers on their roster, but when they are down one run and have runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and Corey Dickerson pops up the ball to the infield and Jorge Alfaro grounds out, then it makes a great pitching performances like last Friday and Saturday’s games extra painful to watch. 😂

Alright now you're getting crazy. This post implies Alfaro makes contact.

• Haha 2

Yeah, not sure Jarlin is the fella you wanna be opining over. He's walked more batters than he's struck out. That don't portend well for future success.

But if we're going to talk bullpen ERA, I'm not sure if we've got too much space to complain. This is the back end of the bullpen right now:

Brandon Kintzler: 2.51 ERA
Brad Boxberger: 1.64 ERA
James Hoyt: 2.16 ERA
Nick Vincent: 3.65 ERA
Josh A. Smith: 2.70 ERA

I mean... That's pretty darn good.

• Like 1

Just now, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Yeah, not sure Jarlin is the fella you wanna be opining over. He's walked more batters than he's struck out. That don't portend well for future success.

But if we're going to talk bullpen ERA, I'm not sure if we've got too much space to complain. This is the back end of the bullpen right now:

people care about ERA still?

8 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

I just watched Jarlin get absolutely rocked the other day. Unearned runs, but he was getting hit HARD. Dude's not that good at baseball*

*When compared to other players at his level

There was a Marlin reliever once (not him) who gave up unearned runs often so his E.R.A looked good, but he in reality wasn't good. I forget who it was. Was that Pinto?

12 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

If you look at xFIP, it's 3.88/4.54/4.05/5.28/5.37

That's pretty awful for a back-end of a bullpen. As an aside, I thought Boxberger had been better than Kintzler, but xFIP disagrees.

5 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

There was a Marlin reliever once (not him) who gave up unearned runs often so his E.R.A looked good, but he in reality wasn't good. I forget who it was. Was that Pinto?

The only time I want to hear "Pinto" is when I'm talking about beans. Those memories are too painful for a guy who doesn't have another therapy appointment for 10 days.

• Like 1

Just now, mystikol87 said:

The ones that blew up more than Renyel blew up innings and Chipotle blows up my belly?

Yep I remember when I was a kid, my mother told us how when she met my father he had a Pinto and she had a Thunderbird and she sold hers when they decided they only needed one car. She held that grudge for a long time and likely still does.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mystikol87 said:

If you look at xFIP, it's 3.88/4.54/4.05/5.28/5.37

That's pretty awful for a back-end of a bullpen. As an aside, I thought Boxberger had been better than Kintzler, but xFIP disagrees.

It's important to note xFIP can miss on guys in the bullpen a lot more often. Kintzler has an 83 ERA- and a 93 xFIP- on his career. Similar story with Boxberger and Vincent. Of course, the opposite has been true with Hoyt, these past two years aside.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

It's important to note xFIP can miss on guys in the bullpen a lot more often. Kintzler has an 83 ERA- and a 93 xFIP- on his career. Similar story with Boxberger and Vincent. Of course, the opposite has been true with Hoyt, these past two years aside.

Hoyt is fairly predictable with his pitching, too. Lots and lots of sliders. I was even calling his pitches one outing against the Mets when watching the game with my father. "Alright here comes a slider ... another one ... now a fastball ... another slider ..." Lol. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Interesting. Do you feel the same way about FIP? Those numbers weren't great either.

35 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

Interesting. Do you feel the same way about FIP? Those numbers weren't great either.

Sorry, I don't mean to suggest this is my opinion. It is a matter of fact. One cannot find in recent history a season in which relievers under-performed their FIP- or xFIP-. The 2018 season was the only season in recent history in which relievers did not, as a whole, outperform both FIP and xFIP:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2020&month=0&season1=1981&ind=0&team=0,ss&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=1981-01-01&enddate=2020-12-31&page=1_30

Why? Well there's a lot of reasons we could suspect. Matchups that favor the relievers, matchups that pit inferior relievers against the weakest parts of the lineup, hitter's lack of familiarity (i.e. only once through the order) leading to weaker contact, underlying miscalculations in FIP/xFIP that favor certainty with SP at the expense of RP. I'm not sure there's any one answer, but the reality simply is that many relievers (not all, mind you) perform a tick better or more than their peripherals would suggest. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael said:

Hoyt is fairly predictable with his pitching, too. Lots and lots of sliders. I was even calling his pitches one outing against the Mets when watching the game with my father. "Alright here comes a slider ... another one ... now a fastball ... another slider ..." Lol. 

Mariano Rivera was fairly predictable in what he was going to throw as well...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Mariano Rivera was fairly predictable in what he was going to throw as well...

Mo's cutter was so good it didn't matter, though. You know that. He changed speeds and movement with it very, very well.

I forget who it was exactly, but there was one pitcher who literally only threw a fastball, just at vastly varying speeds, and said, "they can know what's coming, that's fine, as long as they don't know how fast it's coming in." Exactly that for Mo.