9/21 - Marlins at Braves - 7:10 PM

Is this the most important series since 2003 for the Marlins?

Part of me says yes because we're presented with what may be the one clearest chance to winning the NL East for the first time ever. In that sense this may be their biggest series "ever" as I don't think the Marlins have ever had a real shot at actually winning the division based on one series. (anyone wanna confirm that?)

With that said, winning the division is a nice thing to reach for this week but I don't think it's the priority. The priority is making sure we clinch a playoff position of any variety so this Braves series might be important but it's probably not a do or die series unless the Phillies suddenly get red hot.

• Like 2

A thought on "strength of schedule" because I came across someone who said "Phillies have an easier schedule than the Marlins this week"... I know how strength of schedule is determined but it doesn't take into account how the actual team is playing. Yes the Marlins face opponents who have better records than the Phillies opponents but the Marlins have shown a better ability at winning games than the Phillies have so no matter the opponent I'm more confident in the Marlins pulling out a couple more wins than the Phillies this week. 

So shut up with strength of schedule. It explains something but I hate when people wanna use it as a definitive stat.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

I don't think the Marlins have ever had a real shot at actually winning the division based on one series

I checked on this quickly and the Marlins played the Braves Sept 19-22, 2003 but, if I read everything right, the Braves were about 11-12 games better than the Marlins that series and there were just six games left after that series. So if the Marlins had swept that series they would have still been about 8 games behind the Braves with six to go so I don't think first place was even possible for the Marlins that week.

So I believe this series beginning tonight is the first time in history that the Marlins are actually playing for a real shot at winning the NL East. 

Yes it would take a Marlins sweep and a bit of a Braves collapse for the upcoming weekend series but still, this is the first time this opportunity has ever existed for the Marlins. Amazing to even have this chance all things considered.

Edit: in 97 the Marlins and Braves last head to head regular season game was August 11th... wow that seems weird to me that they wouldn't have any games scheduled that Sept.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

I hope to eat crow tonight for saying this, but why the fuck is Matt Joyce still batting cleanup?

It’s probably because of his .308/5 HR/16 RBI in 104 career ABs in Truist park..

I might be wrong, but I have always thought that stats like that were so dumb..

But the dumbest one of all to me is a players career hitting stats vs. a team.

It’s so annoying during a broadcast when they bring up during a game, for example, Corey Dickerson’s career batting stats vs. the Mets while he is batting against a rookie pitcher making his major league debut..

And especially if the batter has had a lot of hits in his career vs that team, the announcers talk all excited about it as if that’s suppose to make a difference. 

But it means absolutely nothing if the batter has not faced the pitcher before, or has had like 3 ABs in his career against whichever pitcher he happens to be hitting against.

That’s why the batter’s career stats vs whichever pitcher he happens to be batting against is the only thing I pay attention to. Any other career batting vs team stats are just annoying.

*End of rant*

😂

Edited by SirFishFan
9 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Is this the most important series since 2003 for the Marlins?

Part of me says yes because we're presented with what may be the one clearest chance to winning the NL East for the first time ever. In that sense this may be their biggest series "ever" as I don't think the Marlins have ever had a real shot at actually winning the division based on one series. (anyone wanna confirm that?)

With that said, winning the division is a nice thing to reach for this week but I don't think it's the priority. The priority is making sure we clinch a playoff position of any variety so this Braves series might be important but it's probably not a do or die series unless the Phillies suddenly get red hot.

I just want playoffs lol.

• Like 1