$100 million payroll planned for 2021

Not sure how this money gets spread out but just to confirm that Giancarlo Stanton didn't opt out of his contract which means the Marlins now owe the Yankees $30 million towards Stanton's remaining contract. If Stanton had opted out the Marlins would have had no more money owed to him.

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Not sure how this money gets spread out but just to confirm that Giancarlo Stanton didn't opt out of his contract which means the Marlins now owe the Yankees $30 million towards Stanton's remaining contract. If Stanton had opted out the Marlins would have had no more money owed to him.

One has to assume that's not a lump sum, which at least helps a bit.

42 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

35 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

One has to assume that's not a lump sum, which at least helps a bit.

$10M in '26, '27, and '28.

• Like 4
On 11/2/2020 at 11:50 AM, SilverBullet said:

What does that have to do with this 100 million payroll unicorn of 2021?

3 hours ago, Das Texan said:

What does that have to do with this 100 million payroll unicorn of 2021?

Didn't think that tidbit needed a new thread and, not being sure of how the money would be spread out, I figured there was a possibility the payments could be happening in 2021 and thus may have affected the 2021 payroll. 

We have the top 5 farm system and the compete window is opening now, it's time to exchange the draft picks for some wins. It makes no sense to pass on the top FAs because of the draft picks now, the Nats to add Scherzer before the 2015 when they already have a great rotation and they become a great team since then, so what should we do ?

2 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

We have the top 5 farm system and the compete window is opening now, it's time to exchange the draft picks for some wins. It makes no sense to pass on the top FAs because of the draft picks now, the Nats to add Scherzer before the 2015 when they already have a great rotation and they become a great team since then, so what should we do ?

2019 Nats rotation is worse than our current rotation.  They had Scherzer and Strasburg,the same rotation that put them in last place this year.  Nats didn't do anything to improve before 2019, in fact they let go of Gio and Harper.

Phillies believed in the same philosophy trading for JT.  They could have had Sixto, Eflin and Wheeler next year, but now we get Sixto and Phillies have to go broke to retain Realmuto.  

If you want to add substantial pieces through FA,  I'm all for it as long as they value the farm system as an investment rather than just some inventory object.

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

2019 Nats rotation is worse than our current rotation.

If that's not a little homerism right there, I don't know what is!

Anyways Nats didn't have Strasburg this year.

6 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Just hope the vacancy in the GM/President of baseball operations won't damage the success of this off-season. 

Not at all, doesn't even look like this team really even needs to officially fill that role yet if they don't want to.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Not at all, doesn't even look like this team really even needs to officially fill that role yet if they don't want to.

Yeah, I believe the members of the front office would make the right moves. 

6 hours ago, Michael said:

If that's not a little homerism right there, I don't know what is!

Anyways Nats didn't have Strasburg this year.

Its not homerism, it's more an eye test of talent and projection.  

Scherzer, Strasburg, Aníbal, Corbin and Hellickson.  

Alcantara, Lopez, Hernandez, Sixto and/or the next 5th day starter that will emerge. 

Scherzer is the best of the bunch on both teams, Strasburg is a fringe ace, while and rest are garbage.

Alcantara is a fringe ace, Lopez is a young Aníbal, Sixto has Scherzer potential, Hernandez, well he is better than Corbin, Aníbal or Hellickson. 

Yeah, Strasburg went down early, which shows how bad that rotation is after Strasburg.

1 hour ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Its not homerism, it's more an eye test of talent and projection.  

Scherzer, Strasburg, Aníbal, Corbin and Hellickson.  

Alcantara, Lopez, Hernandez, Sixto and/or the next 5th day starter that will emerge. 

Scherzer is the best of the bunch on both teams, Strasburg is a fringe ace, while and rest are garbage.

Alcantara is a fringe ace, Lopez is a young Aníbal, Sixto has Scherzer potential, Hernandez, well he is better than Corbin, Aníbal or Hellickson. 

Yeah, Strasburg went down early, which shows how bad that rotation is after Strasburg.

If you think Corbin is bad ...

This year he was but that's a little bit of an outlier for him. Nats would have gone harder after Harper instead of signing him if he was bad.

Just now, Michael said:

If you think Corbin is bad ...

This year he was but that's a little bit of an outlier for him. Nats would have gone harder after Harper instead of signing him if he was bad.

He's not bad or garbage like I previously said but he is inconsistent.  

Anyways, if you think our current rotation doesn't compete with 2019 Nats....

13 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

He's not bad or garbage like I previously said but he is inconsistent.  

Anyways, if you think our current rotation doesn't compete with 2019 Nats....

I'm definitely not going as far as saying Elieser is better than him, though, because he isn't. Elieser is an 18-batter maximum pitcher until he gets that change-up working.

Our rotation could compete with them, sure.

19 minutes ago, Michael said:

I'm definitely not going as far as saying Elieser is better than him, though, because he isn't. Elieser is an 18-batter maximum pitcher until he gets that change-up working.

Our rotation could compete with them, sure.

I guess I have a crutch of not being meticulous when I post. I shouldn't have said our current rotation is better than 2019 Nats.  

I would agree that Corbin is better than Elieser.  He has high upside for sure while Elieser is a solid 4th or 5th. 

I should have said our rotation is comparable not better.  

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
9 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

In the past we have no the pieces to trade for a player like Lindor, now we have the pieces to get it done and it's just up to our decision. 

Cleveland would take our best prospects. They trade at high peaks and consume back with more investment. They are a blueprint on how to win consistently without spending or unloading top prospects.  They haven't had a losing season since 2012.

It's being done here so far.  If we start trading are TOP prospects, for me, it would be birth pains of Loria all over again.  

Sometimes the slow pace wins the race.

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Cleveland would take our best prospects. They trade at high peaks and consume back with more investment. They are a blueprint on how to win consistently without spending or unloading top prospects.  They haven't had a losing season since 2012.

It's being done here so far.  If we start trading are TOP prospects, for me, it would be birth pains of Loria all over again.  

Sometimes the slow pace wins the race.

And this I agree with.