4/8 Post Game Thread

Michael

1 minute ago, Hotcorner said:

if the Mets are smart they'll sit Conforto tomorrow cuz he's getting plunked.   and I endorse it.  also endorse a bench-clearing brawl.  and Matts to suplex Mr Met.

I mean.....technically they are sitting him tomorrow.....

...off day and all...

4 minutes ago, Hotcorner said:

if the Mets are smart they'll sit Conforto tomorrow cuz he's getting plunked.   and I endorse it.  also endorse a bench-clearing brawl.  and Matts to suplex Mr Met.

Hopefully Mattingly is visibly emotional about it in a presser.  That would be encouraging. 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry

This is directly from mlb.com:

image.png.338539123df49883d5eb611770640f80.png

Because the umpire was gesturing for strike 3, we know that he considered the ball to be in the zone. So this was literally in violation of the rules. It would be just as bad as an umpire ruling that a ball over the foul pole was foul and then awarding the home run any way.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Conforto is a bitch.

Any Mets fan calling that a legit win is a bitch.

Win the game with some honor.

Winners win.

No one will remember this when they are playing for a playoff spot. In fact, they'll probably praise him for being a grinder. 

This team has the stink of loser all over it.

4 minutes ago, Michael said:

That's exactly what happened. He double-switched in the fifth inning.

Mattingly earlier this year had an opportunity to double switch out of a LH matchup with Dickerson in the 8th.  Somehow Dick was able to get a hit with 2 strikes lucky.  

Pulling Jazz out in the 5th is bizarre.  

They put the rule up on the postgame.

"A batter becomes a runner when:

(2) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (A) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (B) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball;

If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball.  If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid getting touched."

image.thumb.png.3ad5ceb0882a153201601d8ca63865c7.png

How that could not be ruled any other way than strike 3 he's out, I don't understand when it was called a strike.

They ought to protest the result of this game if they can.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Major-Minor said:

Winners win.

No one will remember this when they are playing for a playoff spot. In fact, they'll probably praise him for being a grinder. 

This team has the stink of loser all over it.

This is a managerial problem.  I think he lost the teams respect personally.  

Here are the rules on protesting the game:

image.thumb.png.d33432b636ff40687a6a5c1bd4f8053b.png

They say no protest can be permitted on judgment decisions of the umpire.   But I'd protest anyway, as it was called a strike, then decided to be a HPB after called a strike.

A batter that's hit by a strike is not HPB.   They need to protest this.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Here are the rules on protesting the game:

image.thumb.png.d33432b636ff40687a6a5c1bd4f8053b.png

They say no protest can be permitted on judgment decisions of the umpire.   But I'd protest anyway, as it was called a strike, then decided to be a HPB after called a strike.

A batter that's hit by a strike is not HPB.   They need to protest this.

I've never understood what's the deal to even protest a game. It's not like they are gonna change the outcome.

4 minutes ago, Ema2R said:

I've never understood what's the deal to even protest a game. It's not like they are gonna change the outcome.

The only time I can think of it ever working was the pine tar game with George Brett in the 80s. Marlins can protest, but since both calls - ball being a strike and hitter making no attempt to get out of the way- are considered judgement calls, I doubt the league would overturn it.

• Like 1