4/8 Post Game Thread

Michael

The line says "Even if it is held that the protested decision violated the rules, no replay of the game will be ordered unless in the opinion of the League President the violation adversely affected the protesting team’s chances of winning the game"

I'd certainly say that losing the game on a rule violation of the last play of the game "adversely affected the protesting team's [Marlins] chances of winning the game."

--

Ultimately, I doubt the Marlins bother to protest because they probably don't want to rock the boat, nor do I see MLB doing anything about it because they're too busy moving ASGs and don't want to throw an umpire under the bus, but I believe they should.

• Like 1

Just now, FishFan95 said:

The only time I can think of it ever working was the pine tar game with George Brett in the 80s. Marlins can protest, but since both calls - ball being a strike and hitter making no attempt to get out of the way- are considered judgement calls, I doubt the league would overturn it.

I don't know if judgment applies to the strike in this case.  HPB yeah.

To me, the fact the umpire called strike 3 first, though, weighs in the Marlins favor.

• Like 2

if the team scored just a couple more runs than the whopping two they did get we might not be talking about this with such fervor.  Whoever said they hope this lights a fire under this teams ass is right though. I really hope they get pissed and hold a team meeting and come out on fire and then hug conforto so he's on fire, and dies.  our guys will have flame retardant suits on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Do we think Bass will get another shot at closing the next time there's a chance?  Honest question.  How many chances do we honestly believe he'll get before he gets bumped from his role.  I still don't understand why or how he was annointed closer in the first place but meh that's another discussion.

I think he gets one more shot but only if they're up by two, no one run save attempts.

Edited by hovertical

3 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Do we think Bass will get another shot at closing the next time there's a chance?  Honest question.  How many chances do we honestly believe he'll get before he gets bumped from his role.  I still don't understand why or how he was annointed closer in the first place but meh that's another discussion.

I think he gets one more shot but only if they're up by two, no one run save attempts.

Honestly... I think he gets 4 more chances. Why? MANGER OTY

On the all time Marlins gunna Marlin list where does this rank....?

Lesser then our beloved pitcher dying in a boating accident...and lesser than 2 and half fire sales...

but...

I gotta think higher than our manager being a Castro apologist, right?

They need to protest it to get at least get some positive publicity out of it...anyone who watches baseball is going to either laugh or feel sorry for this team...the Mets bullied a win, we just accepted it, and the rest of baseball will shrug because "the Marlins suck."

I wonder what Jeets is thinking?

18 minutes ago, Ema2R said:

So.... what could happen then? Play the same inning again? 🤣

They would start the game from where it left off. So if they ruled it a strikeout, it would start with the bases loaded and 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. In the redo of the Pine Tar game, Yankees manager, Billy Martin used a funky defensive arrangement in protest of the fact that the Yankees had to replay it, so both teams would probably be able to reset the lineups and pitching staffs. The Mets could let Lindor hit instead of Alonso and the Marlins could let Yimi pitch even though he was pulled earlier in the game.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

They would start the game from where it left off. So if they ruled it a strikeout, it would start with the bases loaded and 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. In the redo of the Pine Tar game, Yankees manager, Billy Martin used a funky defensive arrangement in protest of the fact that the Yankees had to replay it, so both teams would probably be able to reset the lineups and pitching staffs. The Mets could let Lindor hit instead of Alonso and the Marlins could let Yimi pitch even though he was pulled earlier in the game.

Interesting... thanks for the info!

8 minutes ago, Ema2R said:

Yeah right.... Poor guy was fooled.

Yeah, don't buy that.  He sure was jumping around all happy at the time for "not being proud of how it ended".  Maybe I'm weird, but if I knew I was getting wrung up and then suddenly got called HBP you win the game, I don't know if I go into full jump for joy mode.

• Like 1