4/30 Post Game Thread

1 minute ago, Erick said:

By the way, I’m obviously saying this because we lost tonight, but the extra inning rule stinks even if it makes me happier when we win. 

I guess if it makes you feel better, we would have lost even without it assuming all else stays equal? lol

Just now, Michael said:

Again, if they truly believe he improved his swing and his abilities at the plate, they need to prove it and let him take a shot.

By having him bunt, it seems like they don’t really believe that. They probably don’t believe in him all that much anymore, and wish he wasn’t on the team at all. He’s, what? 25 already, and couldn’t make the team? 

We had to sign Corey Dickerson and Adam Duvall because Lewis Brinson, Mags Sierra, and Monte Harrison don’t make up a good baseball player if you put all 3 of them together.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

I guess if it makes you feel better, we would have lost even without it assuming all else stays equal? lol

The runner at 2B for the Nats told Schwarber what was coming, so no. That’s what we’re going with tonight...

Not defending Don, but when your team and the opponents team score no runs through 9 innings, it makes it harder to trust that the bats will come through and score that run from second.   It also makes you believe that if you score one run you can hold the other team who hasn’t scored all game as well. 

Based on the TEMPO of the game it was the right call.  Score a run and send your closer out for the save.  

Let it be known that Don has let the batters hit in all the other games that went in extras.  He clearly made the decision based on the tempo which a manager is supposed to do. 

Having Harrison bunt with his speed is much more safe than him striking out.   No runs through 9 and we are supposed to believe that Harrison is going to plate in a run?  Anyway you look at it, other then the outcome justifies Don’s decision. 

Edited by FishFry
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Erick said:

Pablo Lopez has a better chance of getting a hit. 

Monte struck out in 51% of his plate appearances last year, we need to start being realistic about him being bad at baseball.

Even if Monte is "bad at baseball" he has a better chance of getting a hit by being allowed to swing than by being told to bunt. The problem is that Donnie gave him zero chance to get a hit there. The runner was already in scoring position, there was no reason to not at least give Monte a chance to swing. If he Ks then Devers is still in scoring position. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FishFry said:

Having Harrison bunt with his speed is much more safe than him striking out.   No runs through 9 and we are supposed to believe that Harrison is going to plate in a run?  Anyway you look at it, other then the outcome justifies Don’s decision. 

I can't believe anyone is ok with not giving the guy the chance to swing, no matter how bad he is. This is incredible. 

20 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I can't believe anyone is ok with not giving the guy the chance to swing, no matter how bad he is. This is incredible. 

What if his bunt ends up being a hit? I normally hate bunting, but the only thing Monte does well is run.

The big problem is that we don’t have an MLB caliber hitter on the bench.

21 minutes ago, Erick said:

What if his bunt ends up being a hit? I normally hate bunting, but the only thing Monte does well is run.

The big problem is that we don’t have an MLB caliber hitter on the bench.

Less likely for it to be a hit when they're making him show it from the get-go. Let him take a pitch or one hack and then bunt*. Make the defense think a little differently.

*Don't actually have him bunt.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Even if Monte is "bad at baseball" he has a better chance of getting a hit by being allowed to swing than by being told to bunt. The problem is that Donnie gave him zero chance to get a hit there. The runner was already in scoring position, there was no reason to not at least give Monte a chance to swing. If he Ks then Devers is still in scoring position. 

but if he K's then that requires one of the next two guys to get an actual hit barring some wild throw, passed ball, error,etc.  moving him to 3rd by using your first out opens up many more opportunities to at least FINALLY get something on the board - and if they string a couple hits together, and get a couple runs - awesome.  but with the way this team absolutely sucked and knowing how god awful monte is at making actual contact?  i think bunting was 100% the right call.

- in watching that game though, man, i think we all felt in our gut that we weren't going to come out on top.  Just like the game against the Brewers where all that weird shit just kept happening that was in our favor - this felt almost the opposite where Fish hit numerous balls 100mph+ that went right into someone's glove.  It just wasn't one of those nights.  I guess this is why they say things even out over the course of a year (so I'm hoping that means once everyone is back they stay healthy ' til the end).  We just expect more from them this year after being starved for playoff action for so damn long and whether that's fair or not - that expectation is there. 

Edited by hovertical

man, i just keep looking at that Yelich trade and it's really as if the Brewers offered some mystery storage locker full of "prospects" that we bid high on and it ended up being full of those hideous yellow bordered Fleer cards from '91 (minus the Uribe error card)

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

This isn’t all about Harrison. Im sure the call was situational based on the tempo of the game.  Like I said, Don has our boys swing in the other games that went into extras.  

Edited by FishFry

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Less likely for it to be a hit when they're making him show it from the get-go. Let him take a pitch or one hack and then bunt*. Make the defense think a little differently.

*Don't actually have him bunt.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I think what made it worse for me was his bunt attempt on the first pitch was at a ball literally in the dirt.  If you're told to bunt, ok.  But you're supposed to bunt at good pitches lol.