Dickerson and Cimber to Blue Jays

I can see them thinking that any value Dickerson had was gone now that he's injured so maybe there's something to that. Still think this could have been handled better. I'll wait to see what they do with the next trades but this is not a good start. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I can see them thinking that any value Dickerson had was gone now that he's injured so maybe there's something to that

Dick had no value, I don't think anyone is saying he had value. The issue for me and others is Cimber DID have value and they threw him in so that Toronto would pay Dick's contract. The Blue Jays wanted Cimber, even if some fans here found him useless. They wanted him and we gave him away to them just so the owners could have some extra spending money for themselves. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Ok so your theory is that Toronto offered to pick up the tab and it wasn't that the Marlins asked them to?  Got it. Though I completely disagree.

As for your last point, I'll believe it when I see it.

Not saying that it was Toronto's idea, but it wouldn't have made a difference. Maybe you go from a 1 in a million guy to a 1 in 900,000 guy. Doesn't move the bar very much. They guy we got is most likely not going to contribute. The guy we could have gotten would probably not contribute. You're splitting hairs on a meaningless difference.

• Like 1

Just now, FishFan95 said:

We weren't going to get a can't miss prospect for Dickerson and Cimber even if we paid the entire salary of all players in the trade. I don't know why people just assume that the other team will give up more prospect capital instead of just paying the salary themselves. This can free up resources to get a long term pick up at the deadline. Regardless of where the Marlins are in the standings, that is where they will attempt to go. They are not at the beginning of the rebuild. The system is rebuilt. Get guys who are ready now. McInvale may walk a lot of guys but he gets a ton of K's and limits hits. I thought that's what you guys wanted out of a BP pitcher. Complete opposite of Cimber who is a pitch to contact guy.

Dickerson is an overpriced injured bench player who wouldn’t land us crap even if we took his salary.   

This has nothing to do with the Marlins being cheap.  

Cimber isn’t an asset either.  He’s a decent mid inning reliever.  

Cimber is not worth anything via trade. Never has been. He’s a reliever who doesn’t miss bats. He had a nice ERA here which nobody cares about anymore, and wasn’t really one of our leverage relievers so nobody valued him for that either. 

I’d be more upset if we attached Dickerson to a Yimi or Floro trade, I think we can get a decent return if we traded those guys.

• Like 2

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Dick had no value, I don't think anyone is saying he had value. The issue for me and others is Cimber DID have value and they threw him in so that Toronto would pay Dick's contract.

Cimber had very little value. He is a pitch to contact guy. This is the exact kind of guy you folks have been complaining about in the bullpen the whole month. If he was in Floro's role with his same numbers, you guys would be complaining hard about all of the blown saves and his horrible numbers in leverage. Odds are he regresses with Toronto. But if they are smart, he won't even be in a very meaningful role to begin with.

• Like 1

Also, they had to attach Dickerson in a trade to get rid of him. Why wouldn’t they? He offers no value at the moment because he’s hurt (not their fault).

There’s no reason to keep him. I really don’t care that we dumped his salary, kind of wish we hadn’t paid it in the first place. That’s probably the bigger issue since he basically sucked here. I’m not sure why some people on Twitter, etc. think he’s underrated. I’m not sure he does anything above average anymore actually.

We may very well just be overreacting to the "salary dump" part of it all. It sucks to hear, really. But Dickerson heavily underperformed here. And as many stated Cimber isn't anything good.

Best part of this deal: we don't have a short bench anymore, guys!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Erick said:

Cimber is not worth anything via trade. Never has been. He’s a reliever who doesn’t miss bats. He had a nice ERA here which nobody cares about anymore, and wasn’t really one of our leverage relievers so nobody valued him for that either. 

I’d be more upset if we attached Dickerson to a Yimi or Floro trade, I think we can get a decent return if we traded those guys.

I'm not saying Cimber was gonna give us some major return but I don't know how you can say Cimber alone wouldn't have more value than Cimber plus salary relief for an injured player. 

"What can u give us for Cimber?"

"X"

"What if we throw in Dickerson and you eat his salary?"

"Well then we'll give you Z"

How can X not be greater than Z in that situation? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm not saying Cimber was gonna give us some major return but I don't know how you can say Cimber alone wouldn't have more value than Cimber plus salary relief for an injured player. 

"X"

X and Z are probably both bad anyways so it doesn't matter.

Let's move on, folks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Dick had no value, I don't think anyone is saying he had value

I would have to think healthy Dickerson has more value than injured Dickerson is my point. I feel like nobody is taking into account that Dickerson is probably out until August. If Dickerson was healthy now he could have been an addition to some contender. Right now he's not helping any team that gets him. 

• Like 1

Just now, SilverBullet said:

I would have to think healthy Dickerson has more value than injured Dickerson is my point. I feel like nobody is taking into account that Dickerson is probably out until August. If Dickerson was healthy now he could have been an addition to some contender. Right now he's not helping any team that gets him. 

He gets traded at the deadline if he was healthy. It took an injury to remove that particular bandage. Pun intended.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

This just explains how Z is greater than X. 

Toronto did us a favor 

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

"X"

We acquired Cimber for $100,000 not so long ago. He wasn’t even worth a player months ago. 

We acquired a player who probably won’t be that good by attaching Dickerson as opposed to acquiring a player who probably had a little better value and wasn’t going to be that good without attaching Dickerson.

7 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Additionally, this trade removes a reliever from the equation, so there is a reduced possibility that we will have to pinch hit a pitcher because we don't have enough bench players.

It's been a choice almost every time. 

Just now, SilverBullet said:

@Erick so you like this deal for the Marlins? If someone asks you why, what's your answer to them?

We have no use for Dickerson and his salary.

Cimber is highly replaceable.

Panik is whatever like Dickerson & Cimber but considering all the AB’s we’ve given Isan Diaz this year, it actually doesn’t hurt the organization to take a flier on some infield depth if we’re evaluating it from a player standpoint. 

Panik’s had some good years in the big leagues. Maybe he has a hot month and we can flip him too, who knows.

1 minute ago, Erick said:

Panik’s had some good years in the big leagues. Maybe he has a hot month and we can flip him too, who knows.

As long as the other team takes his whole salary!!!!!!1!!!!1!11!!!!!2

Mish says the Marlins are saying this is not a sell off and they're still going for it... obviously probably just PR talk but wtf? 

So what's the spin on this?

Trading Dickerson to keep Sanchez up and Panik is here to strengthen our bench? 

I guess that makes sense, they'll have to not shit the bed with the next trades to keep that narrative but if that's their spin they should have done this move a month ago. Feels like this same trade would have felt different when we weren't 11 games below 500 and in last place.

• Like 1