Marte Extension? (The Continuation)

Michael

Just now, rmc523 said:

Let's hope they revisit in the offseason.

He’ll probably cost more now.  There was no competition for his services at the time. I just don’t see him returning if they weren’t willing to pay what he was looking for before. 

• Like 4

Just now, SonOfJack said:

He’ll probably cost more now.  There was no competition for his services at the time. I just don’t see him returning if they weren’t willing to pay what he was looking for before. 

True.

It also leaves me less hopeful we're signing anybody worth noting if a 1 year/$5M gap was the breaking point for the team.

Its just going to cost us more in the long run, that is if they even do spend.  

Im pretty sure we will trade a few of our high end prospects, making it look like they are trying. 

We could be a very dee team if they just spend for a C, CF, 3B.  Brinson, BA as day off starts would be fantastic.  Heck, even if we keep Alfaro as a backup C, LF would be ok by me.  We would also have Cooper.  Our pitching would be best in the league, even Donnie couldn’t mess that up as long as they stay healthy.  

On 8/17/2021 at 3:57 PM, rmc523 said:

I am surprised the gap is so small, though - literally 1 guaranteed year and $5M is all that separates the sides.  You'd think he asked for 4/60 or something, which would've been 20 over the max the Marlins had offered - that'd be one thing.  But 5M?

Let's hope they revisit in the offseason.

Isn't it $8.5M, or am I misunderstanding?

3 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

Isn't it $8.5M, or am I misunderstanding?

Reportedly one offer they put forward was a 3 guaranteed years with 4th year option for $40M total.  If he wanted 45, that's a 5M difference.

You're also correct going off their 36.5 total, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Still can't accept it, you can easily extend him with 4/45 but didn't do it. Other teams would easily defeat our offers in the off-season if we try to sign him back, would lost some top pitching prospects if try to acquire a young CF, is it worth it ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Still can't accept it, you can easily extend him with 4/45 but didn't do it. Other teams would easily defeat our offers in the off-season if we try to sign him back, would lost some top pitching prospects if try to acquire a young CF, is it worth it ?

They made a big mistake.

• Like 1