Should Postseason Stats Count As Career Stats? Talk Amongst Yourselves.

SongInTheAir

20 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Surprised so many no's. Why not? They're still major league home runs vs major league pitching. I can see specifying the difference between regular season and postseason but not counting them for some totals seems weird. It's not like they didn't happen.

Because they get an unequal amount of AB. Look at a guy like Shohei Ohtani for example. Should his career HR total end up lower than other guys because his team annually sucked while theirs was a consistent playoff team? 

Why change it?

So two or three guys can reach milestones? Then you have the issue of whether you make it retroactive or not... in which case a lot of dead guys may have reached milestones, a lot of people who didn't make the HOF but were close, etc. 

Edited by Entendu
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Because they get an unequal amount of ABs. Look at a guy like Shohei Ohtani for example. Should his career HR total end up lower than other guys because his team annually sucked while theirs was a consistent playoff team? 

But we shouldn't penalize those in the playoffs. They're meaningful games. They happened. 

Just now, SilverBullet said:

But we shouldn't penalize those in the playoffs. They're meaningful games. They happened. 

We're not, though. Their season stats count the same as everyone else's. It's not like we're deducting the last 100 ABs from the regular season.

• Like 1

Just now, Entendu said:

We're not, though. Their season stats count the same as everyone else's. It's not like we're deducting the last 100 ABs from the regular season.

Yeah I think I'm in this camp.

We can certainly have a "TOTAL" for stats and such, as an aside, but not as the main point.

It'd be much more penalizing for players who didn't get chances in the playoffs like Ted Williams, who only got to play in one playoff series ever and hoo boy did the Cardinals make sure to not give him good stuff to hit.

Separate things. Keep em separate. It's fine.

• Like 1

The original tweet kinda lead me down the wrong path, made it sound like we never count postseason home runs. The postseason homers need to be recognized in career totals somehow as they definitely happened. For fairness, don't just squeeze them into regular season totals without specifying the differences.

If we do that though, I guess let's have some fun with it

Barry Bonds - 771 HR

Aaron - 761 HR

Ruth - 729 HR

Pujols - 717 HR

Rodriguez - 713 HR

Mays - 661 HR

Griffey - 636 HR

I think one thing that would really, really bug me with that would be, then, that milestone home run balls weren't actually the milestones anymore. For example, I believe they retroactively removed two hits from Ty Cobb, so Pete Rose getting hit 4,192 and breaking the record was actually not the record breaker, it was two hits earlier. Wouldn't that bug you if you bought one of these milestones and then it turned out, "nope, not really the milestone"?

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Surprised so many no's. Why not? They're still major league home runs vs major league pitching. I can see specifying the difference between regular season and postseason but not counting them for some totals seems weird. It's not like they didn't happen.

So are we gonna count spring training home runs if they're off guys who pitched in MLB the year before?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

The original tweet kinda lead me down the wrong path, made it sound like we never count postseason home runs. The postseason homers need to be recognized in career totals somehow as they definitely happened. For fairness, don't just squeeze them into regular season totals without specifying the differences.

This is already done though really. You can check a guy's regular season numbers and his playoff numbers. You're just proposing they do the math for us I guess instead of adding 523+25 ourselves.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

This is already done though really. You can check a guy's regular season numbers and his playoff numbers. You're just proposing they do the math for us I guess instead of adding 523+25 ourselves.

THEN WE'RE GOOD!

Yeah you're right. Again, my reading of the original tweet was as if nobody counts Pujols' postseason homers at all and that wouldn't be fair. 

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

As has been said, nobody is being penalized.

And then it's the postseason, the announcers always say "he hits .324 with 3 home runs in 10 postseason games".  So the stats ARE kept track of, they're just not lumped together with season numbers.

I'm with those that say keep them separate, for reasons of a more fair comparison for guys who played on bad teams.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

But then by this logic, we have to vote for MVP awards based on regular season and playoffs rather than just regular season (and I actually think that's more fair, seeing as how team performance typically plays a large role in MVP voting).

As others have already said, it's unfair to players stuck on perennially crappy teams. Mike Trout, for example, has made the playoffs once in his career and that came all the way back in 2014. Not his fault his organization stinks.