Everything posted by mountainfish
-
2009 Closer
If anyone has any doubts on whether or not he should be our closer... Just like in the vid, when he moves the fastball around and when he throws the slider for strikes he's devastating.
-
Best of reggae
I just found this version of this song which I thought was cool so I'm bumpin' dis tread mon. Nelly Furtado - Say It Right (Reggae Main Mix) 2007
-
Interesting numbers on the year
I don't get how they come up with the numbers for BA and OBP for Hits By Direction? Please explain. :confused Aren't those already hits? I dont get it either. I am guessing that not only the hits factor in but all the balls that were hitted in a certain direction regardless of being hits or outs. But then how do you get an OBP? None of those hit balls are walks.
-
2009 Closer
For some reason, our pitchers seem to throw way too many fastballs at times. Look at Nolasco. Usually the only time you see him in trouble is when he starts throwing the fastball too much. Same for Lindstrom. Same for Gregg. Same for a lot of guys. Even if you can't throw your other pitches for strikes, you still have to throw them. You simply cannot have the batter sitting on one pitch. On the other hand, the other night against the D-backs, I think, Lindstrom made one guy look ridiculously silly because he obviously couldn't catch up to his fast ball. Then Lindstrom tried to tease him with a few breakng balls and wound up giving up a hit or walking the guy, I forget, but the point the announcers made was that the hitter was obviously overmatched and Lindstrom didn't take advantage of it. He should have challenged the hitter who was on the ropes. Instead he let him off the hook. So either he out-thunk himself or didn't have enough confidence to throw the fastball again. I'm not a fan of power pitching, believe me, but you have to understand what advantages you have over a hitter in each situation. I appreciate that he was trying to avoid having the hitter sit on his fastball in that situation. It tells me he was at least thinking, but you have to be flexible in your approach to different hitters and you have to have confidence in your stuff. He should have blown one more by the guy. It was obvious he wasn't going to touch it. Two final points about Lindstrom: 1) if he can't throw his secondary pitch for strikes he won't be successful in the long run, unless; 2) he can locate his fastball consistently, then won't have to rely on his secondary pitch as much.
-
Interesting numbers on the year
I don't get how they come up with the numbers for BA and OBP for Hits By Direction? Please explain. :confused Aren't those already hits?
-
Tommy pissed
Tommy's right. You just can't keep rolling him out there. I just hope management doesn't get pissed at Tommy. I would hate for him to go.
-
Fredi 2009?
Fredi isn't going anywhere. Girardi has a better chance of losing his job in the next couple of years than Fredi does. At least once, the front office will be willing to change up the team to fit the manager. Maybe next time not so much but I suspect throughout the off-season Fredi is going to have huge input the reshaping of the 2009 Fish. That's an interesting point. Lets see if it bears out and if so how. Beinfest seems to have a lot of control over week to week personnel decisions if not day to day. I'm not saying he makes out the lineup but you know he has input. That's why Girardi had problems. I'm not one of those who called Fredi a yes-man but I don't see him being too assertive when it comes to personnel. Maybe I'm wrong.
-
Fredi 2009?
We're the dumbest team in the game continuosly making the same stupid physical and mental errors. Our players don't know what situational hitting is. They all have the same swing for every occasion. The manager gets some of the blame for all of this. I would dump him but I know there's zero chance of that happening. I would also dump Andy Fox and Pressley. I agree. The Twins, for example, run through situational hitting drills during batting practice before each game. There is a coach behind the BP cage saying "Runner on second, nobody out", and the hitter is trained to hit the ball to the right side. That probably is a big reason why the Twins are so successful this year. They play good fundamental baseball. As for the Marlins getting rid of some of their coaches, I wouldn't have any problem at all with getting rid of the 3rd base coach, Bo Porter. Every time I look up this guy is getting guys thrown out at home plate. Such as last night when he sent Paul LoDuca against one of the best arms in the National league, Jeff Francoeur. It's as though Porter doesn't know his own baserunners or the arm strengths of opposing outfielders Yeah, I used to blame the players for running through so many stop signs but now I think it's because they know Porter is clueless.
-
September call ups
To make room for Gaby, if we don't want to DFA somebody from the 40 man, the FO might just 60 day DL Pinto and shut him down for the season. With Coghlan probably coming up, I'm going to guess Carlos Martinez is the most likely to be DFA'd with how he's been this past year (got fat, the whole no ST cuz he didn't have a card, insobordination, plus the whole not pitching all to well) Martinez got promoted to Albuquerqe and in spite of his fatness has pitched well in short relief since moving up to AAA. I don't think it makes sense to DFA him. They've invested alot of time in him and we all know the upside is there even if he is a bit of a problem child.
-
Fredi 2009?
Fredi isn't going anywhere. Girardi has a better chance of losing his job in the next couple of years than Fredi does.
-
Dan Uggla
To say that Uggla is our best defensive infielder is not saying anything. And to say that he is one of the top three or four 2nd basemen in the game is ridiculous. There are like 15 regular 2Bmen with a higher BA, 7 with more RBIs, 8 or nine with better OBP, and 3 who slug better. On top of that he leads all 2Bmen in strikeouts, is tied for 3rd in errors and ranks way down in fielding percentage and range factor. And as LordMagnus alluded to , it's downright embarrassing that he (and Jacobs) are going to hit over 30 HR and have fewer than 100 RBIs. I don't hate Uggla. I just think that his value for what they will wind up paying him is low, as is Jacobs, so I would look very hard at moving him. Uggla hits .284/.417/.543 with men on base. Now tell me that's his fault. Ok fair enough. I can appreciate any argument backed up by facts. Point taken - not his fault, but what is his RISP the second half of the season and what was it last year (.199 I think). He is inconsistent enough to make me question commitiing to him long term. Again, I'm not saying he sucks but he's no HOFer either. I think in an arbitration year when he is set to make $4-5 million it's not a bad idea to shop him around. I think we have the ability to replace his production within the organization, and fill some needs by trading him (by addition and by subtraction). I just wish people wouldn't be so emotional about him. I like the guy. I do. But if dealing him is best for the team then I would do it.
-
Dan Uggla
To say that Uggla is our best defensive infielder is not saying anything. And to say that he is one of the top three or four 2nd basemen in the game is ridiculous. There are like 15 regular 2Bmen with a higher BA, 7 with more RBIs, 8 or nine with better OBP, and 3 who slug better. On top of that he leads all 2Bmen in strikeouts, is tied for 3rd in errors and ranks way down in fielding percentage and range factor. And as LordMagnus alluded to , it's downright embarrassing that he (and Jacobs) are going to hit over 30 HR and have fewer than 100 RBIs. I don't hate Uggla. I just think that his value for what they will wind up paying him is low, as is Jacobs, so I would look very hard at moving him. Uggla hits .284/.417/.543 with men on base. Now tell me that's his fault. Ok fair enough. I can appreciate any argument backed up by facts. Point taken - not his fault, but what is his RISP the second half of the season and what was it last year (.199 I think). He is inconsistent enough to make me question commitiing to him long term. Again, I'm not saying he sucks but he's no HOFer either. I think in an arbitration year when he is set to make $4-5 million it's not a bad idea to shop him around. I think we have the ability to replace his production within the organization, and fill some needs by trading him (by addition and by subtraction). I just wish people wouldn't be so emotional about him. I like the guy. I do. But if dealing him is best for the team then I would do it.
-
Can money buy happiness?
I don't think money can buy happiness but debt can ruin your life. Stay out of debt, do what you love and stop and smell the roses. The journey is the reward.
-
Dan Uggla
To say that Uggla is our best defensive infielder is not saying anything. And to say that he is one of the top three or four 2nd basemen in the game is ridiculous. There are like 15 regular 2Bmen with a higher BA, 7 with more RBIs, 8 or nine with better OBP, and 3 who slug better. On top of that he leads all 2Bmen in strikeouts, is tied for 3rd in errors and ranks way down in fielding percentage and range factor. And as LordMagnus alluded to , it's downright embarrassing that he (and Jacobs) are going to hit over 30 HR and have fewer than 100 RBIs. I don't hate Uggla. I just think that his value for what they will wind up paying him is low, as is Jacobs, so I would look very hard at moving him.
-
Dan Uggla
To say that Uggla is our best defensive infielder is not saying anything. And to say that he is one of the top three or four 2nd basemen in the game is ridiculous. There are like 15 regular 2Bmen with a higher BA, 7 with more RBIs, 8 or nine with better OBP, and 3 who slug better. On top of that he leads all 2Bmen in strikeouts, is tied for 3rd in errors and ranks way down in fielding percentage and range factor. And as LordMagnus alluded to , it's downright embarrassing that he (and Jacobs) are going to hit over 30 HR and have fewer than 100 RBIs. I don't hate Uggla. I just think that his value for what they will wind up paying him is low, as is Jacobs, so I would look very hard at moving him.
-
Makes me laugh every time
My son showed this to me a few months back and you're right I still laugh.
-
Dan Uggla
We have alot of players that are basically the same type of hitter. (Uggla, Jacobs, Ross, McPhereson, Hermida) Lots of power potential, high strikeouts, .240-260 batting avg., average defensively. We don't need all of them. Trade the ones who are the most expensive, oldest or least versatile. And take trade value into consideration. Jacobs and Uggla are the most logical choices.
-
Dan Uggla
We have alot of players that are basically the same type of hitter. (Uggla, Jacobs, Ross, McPhereson, Hermida) Lots of power potential, high strikeouts, .240-260 batting avg., average defensively. We don't need all of them. Trade the ones who are the most expensive, oldest or least versatile. And take trade value into consideration. Jacobs and Uggla are the most logical choices.
-
on a brighter note...
That was a great game.
-
Does Hanley Stealing Less Hurt the Offense?
Here's my point. Not only is he stealing at a slower rate than last year (by almost 10%) but he is 8% less succesful. He will wind up with 12-15 fewer SB this year yet he is second in the league in runs scored and is on pace to score 125 runs again this year. If the purpose of stealing is to get the runner in scoring position then you would expect that the more you steal (successfully) the more runs you score and vice versa. So you could argue that his lower SB numbers are not impacting the team significantly based on his runs scored. (And by the way, his run scoring rate is the same per at bat as last year.) On the other hand you could argue that he has the potential to score 135 runs per season this year if he steals 50 bases with a 78 SB% so is he underachieving? I don't know why I think about these things.( I guess I have to distract myself from our pitiful hitting.) The only explanation I can come up with for this is that we are hitting more home runs than last year.
-
Does Hanley Stealing Less Hurt the Offense?
Here's my point. Not only is he stealing at a slower rate than last year (by almost 10%) but he is 8% less succesful. He will wind up with 12-15 fewer SB this year yet he is second in the league in runs scored and is on pace to score 125 runs again this year. If the purpose of stealing is to get the runner in scoring position then you would expect that the more you steal (successfully) the more runs you score and vice versa. So you could argue that his lower SB numbers are not impacting the team significantly based on his runs scored. (And by the way, his run scoring rate is the same per at bat as last year.) On the other hand you could argue that he has the potential to score 135 runs per season this year if he steals 50 bases with a 78 SB% so is he underachieving? I don't know why I think about these things.( I guess I have to distract myself from our pitiful hitting.) The only explanation I can come up with for this is that we are hitting more home runs than last year.
-
Does Hanley Stealing Less Hurt the Offense?
Consistent with what Fredi Gonzalez said before the season Hanley has been stealing less in 2008. He is on pace to steal 38 bases after stealing over 50 his first two years in the majors. Do you think this has hurt the offense? On one hand he is still scoring runs at the same pace as 2007. On the other hand this may be because we've hit alot more home runs this year. Discuss.
-
Does Hanley Stealing Less Hurt the Offense?
Consistent with what Fredi Gonzalez said before the season Hanley has been stealing less in 2008. He is on pace to steal 38 bases after stealing over 50 his first two years in the majors. Do you think this has hurt the offense? On one hand he is still scoring runs at the same pace as 2007. On the other hand this may be because we've hit alot more home runs this year. Discuss.
-
Marlins @ Diamondbacks 08/23/08
so what do you guys think we can get for uggla? I'm sure teams are salivating for a guy who is hitting .193 since the all-star break.
-
trade ideas....
Why are there tons of threads about trade ideas?? The marlins are NOT making any deals... This threads are getting lame Amen. Its getting tiresome.