Everything posted by Mungo
-
Carroll sent to AAA...Hermida activated
I really don't get how you can dislike Hermida. Yeah he got hurt last year, but he played really well the second half of the season. And he is only 24. HRs aren't everything. He is a line drive hitter, not just a straight power guy like some of the guys in our lineup. He will hit around .300, take some walks, and hit a bunch of doubles and hit a few over the fence. To me, he is the epitome of a 2 slot hitter on a good team. I just am tired of him always being "The Promise". He needs to make it happen now, this time he is here, or you have to consider him to be a bust. He's had how many chances now ? 2005, 06, 07 and now 08....if someone doesn't turn into a star by then, chances are they don't ever live up the "supposed potential". Look at Hanley, David Wright, Prince Fielder, A-Rod, Miggy, or Ken Griffey Jr. They were all stars and everyone knew it. It shone right through from the start. People around the country knew who they were, and were talking about them, and players feared them. When have you heard Hermida's name on a list of up and coming players to be watched for ? Never ! Some folks here I think just tend to be too loyal, and don't take an objective look at the reality of the situation. The stats speak for themselves. He has had parts of 4 seaons to make an impression and has less at bats then Uggla in 2 seasons + 7 games, and Uggla (a 2nd baseman) has more than twice as many HR's. Hanley has almost twice as many with 48, Willingham has 50......so what gives ? When do you look at the stats and call him a bust ? One good half of last season, doesn't make him worth the high pick we wasted on him. He should have paid off with at least 70 HR's and won us some games carrying the team on his back. He just doesn't strike me as that kind of player. Yes some here think I am trolling because I dare to critizise a player. Big deal, its my opinion.
-
Carroll sent to AAA...Hermida activated
Right cause HR's are the be all end all of a players worth. Lulz I guess that isn't really fair huh. The guy can't stay in the lineup long enough to fairly compare him to Uggla. How about this bet. What will be the next Hermida injury ? a) hangnail b) ingrown toe nail c) 2 hangnails
-
Carroll sent to AAA...Hermida activated
Hermida is a colossal flop, and you folks just refuse to see it. You have been blinded by the teal. The man just is as fragile as a baby kitten. The organization should just cut its losses and move on. Give others who work hard and actually play & contribute in games a chance.
-
Carroll sent to AAA...Hermida activated
Anyone taking bets on how long til Jeremy "Body of Glass" Hermida goes back on the DL ? :whistle Carroll is back in less than a month. I'm tired of waiting for this dude to "break out". We need to cut our losses and move on. Cut our losses on a player that is this young and this good? "This good" ? Really ? Tell me...... Jeremy Hermida : 245 games 27 HRs Dan Uggla : 320 games 60 HR's And Dan Uggla is not in any shape or form a "great player" but just adaquate. Defensively he's actually a liability. Hermida has had 3+ seasons to prove he was worth the high draft choice and in my opinion he has fallen quite a bit short. Time to move on..... :cool
-
Carroll sent to AAA...Hermida activated
Anyone taking bets on how long til Jeremy "Body of Glass" Hermida goes back on the DL ? :whistle Carroll is back in less than a month. I'm tired of waiting for this dude to "break out". We need to cut our losses and move on.
-
WOW...we've allowed 40 runs in 6 games.
The only reason we're 3-3 is because we have played the Pirates for 50% of our games. Just wait until we play more teams that overmatch us... This is going to be a LONG season. I agree, we'll be longing for our "Salad Days" of 3-3 when in July we are 25-50. Ahhhhh the magic of being a Marlins fan :thumbup
-
Helms returns to the Fish!
I like this move. Question: Is Helms a less or greater liability at third than Cantu? I'm not liking what I see at third thus far. Is is possiblt that by the end of the year we'll see Cantu coming off the bench and either Helms or McPherson taking over at third? Not sure if Cantu can keep the job. What are you seeing at 3rd that you don't like, Cantu's 1 error? What I haven't liked from Cantu, was his inability to get outs on bunts in the 1st game. IMO it showed us its not just errors but his defensive liabilities are also his fielding is just not up to ML par.
-
The Orange Bowl Demolition Thread
Sad to see. I saw well over 500 events in that stadium, from my 1st High School Game (1961) when I was 1 ? and my parents took me to the Miami High vs Coral Gables football game, to the last game I was at in 1991 which was the Hurricanes vs U of Houston. I was a Dolphins season ticket holder 1978 to 1986 in the old bowl, and a U of Miami student 1978-82 and then season ticket holder til 1991. (Had to give up my season tix because my Multiple Sclerosis was too advanced by then - I was wheelchair bound) I also saw many U of Miami games before I was a student, including when Miami beat Southern Cal in 1966, the Great Gator Flop in the 1971 Florida vs Miami game, and when Miami beat then preseason # 1 Texas 20-15 and then proceeded to lose 8 games in a row in 1975. I will miss her more than a lot of you, because a great deal of my childhood & young adult memories were made there.
-
Helms returns to the Fish!
My point is that I've never seen so many people so excited about a marginal upgrade over Jason Wood. :lol Whatever makes you happy, I guess. When you are a Marlins fan this is like a three way 10 man blockbuster trade.....c'mon we are THE MARLINS ! :lol
-
Helms returns to the Fish!
By the way, I really think we are turning into one of the better teams in the NL East. Dude, we just took two from the Pirates, the same team that hasn't had a winning season in 16 years. Did you miss the two losses to the Mets ? :blink: Especially that 3rd game ? We looked like a little league team next to the Mets. This team is what it is, a team that can strive to be .500 at best. :confused
-
Helms returns to the Fish!
Interesting. Especially considering he was not exactly full of nice things to say about the Marlins, and especially the fans when he left and was introduced by the Phillies. I wonder if people will remember or not. I wonder if he'll retire or come back, it would take him eating some crow to come back. :mis2 yeah he said some stuff, even though it was totally warranted, about scotty o. after one of his tantrums on the mound Oh it was more than that, it was directed at the fans, or lack therof. It is what it is, why do the players have to talk crap about it. It isn't going to change until this management shows a commitment to the community. IIRC there also was a verbal exchange or two on the field 2 years ago in a game in Philly. Is my memory right or not ?
-
Helms returns to the Fish!
Wood was sent down.
-
Helms returns to the Fish!
Interesting. Especially considering he was not exactly full of nice things to say about the Marlins, and especially the fans when he left and was introduced by the Phillies. I wonder if people will remember or not. I wonder if he'll retire or come back, it would take him eating some crow to come back. :mis2
-
Some News From Loria
Miami has a long history of getting projects done on time and on budget. Just look at the airport. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
-
And we get less respect from the Media
And the headline wasn't "Marlins win" - it was "Mets lose in 10th" ESPN sucks... it'll just make shocking the world even sweeter! Actually it was: The only one that called it in 2003 on ESPN was Jeff Brantley. He was on us from late July through August & September. Of course ESPN has rewarded him with his pink slip. :whistle PEDRO INJURED AGAIN!!! Mets lose in 10 to other team
-
Opinions on Glenn Geffner
I've never understood the animus towards Rich Walz, he sounds pretty good to me. Then again growing up in Miami I've no one to compare him too from childhood, like the Angelinos have Vin Scully. As for Roxy, I think the reason the Marlins let him go, was because he wanted to put his duties with the U of California football, baseball & basketball ahead of the Marlins. Didn't he also do Golden State Warriors basketball too ?
-
Today's game and Jorge Cantu.....
After watching his performance today on SNY (DirecTV channel 625) I get very nervous. Yes he hit the HR, and it was a BOMB, but did it make up for the lack of infield play that earlier help put up the Mets 2-0. You can't hit a HR every game, or even get and RBI, but can stink defensively and cost your team runs every game or just about every game. I'm just very nervous about this guy :blink:
-
Awesome news for Fish fans in Gainesville
Could the reason to add Gainsville be, because Andrew Miller is from Gainsville, and has a following from that area ? Just throwing this idea out there :whistle
-
The Orange Bowl Demolition Thread
*sobs* okay granted it was definitely time for the OB to be put out of it's misery. Still lots of memories there. Some of them are a little fuzzy actually.... apparently I drank a lot there too. I'm with you Hotcorner. Maybe a lot of people here will cheer, but I have 40+ years of memories in that old lady. Its a sad day for me. :confused
-
Marlins ballpark in jeopardy once again
Give me a break. 40 games to the city forces, 40 games to the county. Flip a coin as to who gets the first half of the season. 41st game is split juristiction, as are all special events that require more personnel (ASG, post season, etc.) The second year (and all folowing years,) flip the order, whoever had the second half the first year gets the first half the second. Everybody wins. But I know this will NEVER happen. It makes too much sense CGator, that's why it will never happen :thumbdown
-
Stadium and that 30 day negotiation period
How many days left before the 30 days are up ? Have all the issues, and I know Miami/County were fighting over the security detail, been resolved ? How about the Brahman lawsuit ? Did it quietly go away ? Why the silence ? Even the Stadium forum is gone from the site, what is going on ???? :banghead
-
Opening Day
Baserunning may have cost the A's the game. Definitely cost them at least an 11th inning. It sure did, whoever that was that got caught off 2nd, lost them the game. The next two batter hit safely, and that "got-caught" was the tying run.
-
Opening Day
DirecTV has Red Sox Nation in an uproar this morning. This is not going over well. I read a blog that was asking for Red Sox Nation to turn to pitchforks and torches and to close in on DirecTV HQ and burn it to the ground. Eventually DirecTV put the HD signal on channel 623 (NESN) so all could see. But they are still in a crapload of trouble with those New Englanders. :lol :
-
In the "You Never Really Know What's Going on Behind
Maybe they like Cantu's offensive upside and are willing to give up some defense for it. We had loads of offense last year, and not much defense. We won 71 games. :thumbdown We had pitchers that couldn't get outs, 16th out of 16 in pitching. If we had flawless defense we MIGHT have won 80. We lost a huge number of games in which we scored at least 4 runs. True, but I still feel that if we had played some better defense, the pitching would not had been as important, and not as much pressure with close games. The offense got us leads in games, that we'd just give right back with lousy defense. The pitchers tightened up, instead of relaxing and getting guys out. I'm not a "stathead" so I can't prove any of my theory, but it just comes from watching a lot of the games, it seemed as though many of the pitchers felt they had to press more than they should have, and of course that leads to more pitching mistakes. Isn't this just common sense ? :shifty
-
In the "You Never Really Know What's Going on Behind
Maybe they like Cantu's offensive upside and are willing to give up some defense for it. We had loads of offense last year, and not much defense. We won 71 games. :thumbdown