Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

fishheatcats

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by fishheatcats

  1. I have one like that actually, but it has "Marlins" instead of the MLB logo on the back. Once I saw the MLB logo, my mind started wondering if this is part of the change in idenity for the marlins. Remember, they are changing from Florida to Marlins on the road jerseys, and potentially dropping the black jersey. This would probably be part of a new alternate jersey. Who knows. I saw it with the MLB logo. It was actually on someone's head at the time, this was just recently. Also, I don't buy that they're dropping the black jersey, which sells great. And I don't think they'll add a new alternate, as I believe the rules are they have to send the new designs like a year before to the commissioner's office (which is how the current Rays jersey leaked so early.) Now then, it's perfectly possible that it just hasn't leaked, but it doesn't makes sense for them to drop a jersey they like for a color they don't. They aren't doing either of those things. The uniforms will be exactly like they were from last year except for the changes they've announced in regards to the road script and the "F" being removed from the sleeves. White pinstriped home, gray road, black alternate, all with all-black caps. It's a good bet they'll remain that way until 2012. I've always liked the black with teal brim combo, wish it was an alternate cap, but alas that will probably never happen(unless I somehow become a billionaire and buy the team and keep the proper Marlins colors forever )
  2. I think it makes it look far more like a soccer stadium that you would find over here in Europe. Yeah it does. I kinda like the design(especially the new seats). I just wish $250 million(or even half that) could be put out there for an ACTUAL soccer stadium to get MLS back in town... By the next Super Bowl(and surely the World Cup if the US gets 2018 or 22), the stadium will be a dinosaur compared to other venues around the country. I agree it needs upgrades but unlike the Marlins, I don't see why any public money has to be used. Let the NFL and Ross pay for it. If they wanted an entirely new stadium(perhaps coupled with the World Cup or maybe a future summer Olympics) I'd be more willing to support that idea. The ballpark however was something new that the team actually needed(and has needed since day 1) and has kept baseball in South Florida. Looks like a bit of work to move the current score boards, or get new ones, and semi-demolish the upper deck stands in the corners to fit them in. Could force the football team(s) to move out for a season and play at the new ballpark. If that happens I hope the Marlins turn the tables and hit them with a crappy lease lol. I actually think this would be a pretty good use of public money. Once this is done, the stadium would basically be brand new and it would attract a lot of events like the Super Bowl and the World Cup (which the stadium is currently bidding on) which bring in hundreds of millions of dollars into the local economy. In the case of the Super Bowl, it brings that money into the economy on a fairly consistent basis. I can see the local governments, in return for the funds, requesting the NFL assure that Miami gets the game on a regular rotation. Just like the Marlins deal, people will whine and complain about this, you'll probably get lawsuits, but in the end, the Dolphins will get this money and the renovations will get done. I agree to a certain extent. After two Super Bowls the renovations will probably pay for themselves. The event pumps so much into the local economy. But the NFL and Dolphins aren't exactly strapped for cash. The NFL wants to play the game here, they're just trying to get off without having to pay for the upgrades. If they can guarantee in writing that the game will return on a very regular basis, at least every 5 years, it's a good deal. I also agree that this will happen eventually, probably sooner rather than later. The city/county will bend over backwards for the Dolphins and NFL. I find it crazy that the roof doesn't cover the field though. What happens when it rains and their half time show gets ruined? I guess they'll just come begging for more money to complete the roof.
  3. I think Alomar didn't get in because of a handful of baseball writers who are tools and don't like to induct "just anybody" on the first ballot. Blyleven was damn close and he'll probably make it next year. Major congrats to Hawk though. The 400 HR/300 SB club, that only Hawk, Mays and Bonds are members of, seals the deal for me. That's a damn good ballplayer no matter how you slice it. If not for the invention of AstroTurf, and the damage it did to his knees, Andre probably would have had even more stolen bases. ...and if not for that bogus policy of not letting the player decide which cap goes on his plaque, who knows, he just may have gone in with a "F" on his cap. I hope they make him an Expo.... Maybe Hanley gets in years from now and has a good 'ol "F" on his cap. That "bogus policy" is the reason Wade Boggs doesn't have a Devil Rays cap in the HOF. It would be stupid for Hawk to go in wearing our cap. I agree it wouldn't be quite right for Hawk to go in as a Marlin, but if anyone wanted to use a team they only played for for a few seasons, he might have the best case, being born and raised in Miami and all. Shame about Boggs, would have been awesome to see that horrible gradient-oval cap logo the Rays had back then in the Hall lol.
  4. I think it makes it look far more like a soccer stadium that you would find over here in Europe. Yeah it does. I kinda like the design(especially the new seats). I just wish $250 million(or even half that) could be put out there for an ACTUAL soccer stadium to get MLS back in town... By the next Super Bowl(and surely the World Cup if the US gets 2018 or 22), the stadium will be a dinosaur compared to other venues around the country. I agree it needs upgrades but unlike the Marlins, I don't see why any public money has to be used. Let the NFL and Ross pay for it. If they wanted an entirely new stadium(perhaps coupled with the World Cup or maybe a future summer Olympics) I'd be more willing to support that idea. The ballpark however was something new that the team actually needed(and has needed since day 1) and has kept baseball in South Florida. Looks like a bit of work to move the current score boards, or get new ones, and semi-demolish the upper deck stands in the corners to fit them in. Could force the football team(s) to move out for a season and play at the new ballpark. If that happens I hope the Marlins turn the tables and hit them with a crappy lease lol.
  5. Don't know if anyone has seen this yet: Herald Article If the team/NFL/SB Host Committee get what they want, approximately $250 million in renovations, Dolphin(and yes that is now officially the name again), there will be a partial roof on the place(pretty sure it's Gate D in the foreground in the picture, since the new Dolphins headquarters that is currently under construction at E is in the shot). It will only cover the seats, so I guess if the next Super Bowl that comes along has rain and the halftime show is ruined, they can campaign for more renovations . Also I wonder what they would do with the video boards? Also it's kinda funny that the clown vomit on the helixes and escalators is still there in the future. Even though it would have been useless to the Marlins since rain delays would still happen with the hole in the middle, it's hilarious that they'll probably end up with a roof after the Marlins leave...
  6. I think Alomar didn't get in because of a handful of baseball writers who are tools and don't like to induct "just anybody" on the first ballot. Blyleven was damn close and he'll probably make it next year. Major congrats to Hawk though. The 400 HR/300 SB club, that only Hawk, Mays and Bonds are members of, seals the deal for me. That's a damn good ballplayer no matter how you slice it. If not for the invention of AstroTurf, and the damage it did to his knees, Andre probably would have had even more stolen bases. ...and if not for that bogus policy of not letting the player decide which cap goes on his plaque, who knows, he just may have gone in with a "F" on his cap. I hope they make him an Expo.... Maybe Hanley gets in years from now and has a good 'ol "F" on his cap.
  7. Video of the HR art piece, pretty cool imho. Def something new and unique, since well our stadium is probably going to be one of the most unique in baseball. Realistcally how many stadiums have been built since Camden Yards was opened that were just basically replicas of Camden Yards. Thank god we dont have a brick neo-classical ballpark. Sun Sentinel Story I agree, a retro ballpark wouldn't work in Miami, we are a relatively new market for MLB baseball and a modern stadium fits the team and market well . That thing planned for center field, however, doesn't fit anywhere IMO. Something like the Broward County Convention Center fountain would have been nice(these are sailfish but you get the idea):
  8. The "Florida" script was one of the best in MLB IMO, very sad to see it go, especially for such a pointless change as this one. And why remove the "F" from the sleeves if it's still on the cap? Makes no sense. Everyone and their cousin knows the team is changing names in 2012, there is no need to jump the gun and ruin the last few years of one of the best visual identities in baseball... For posterity's sake I guess I'll go pick up one of the "Florida" road uni's at a discount..
  9. There is not one park in MLB where that contraption would "fit." I especially don't think that it would fit in Camden Yards. The beauty of OPACY is that it is a "no frills" venue, despite being a "new" stadium. It pays tribute to the blue collar and indsutrial history of Baltimore by featuring the warehouse and that's mostly it. My biggest complaint is that the seating layout is the worst of any MLB park I've been to (arguably worse than Fenway's) but that has nothing to do with aesthetics. I also think it is very "big" in the corridors and it feels odd when you walk through the stadium concourse. I also think the tribute outside the park player numbers is a little blah and doesn't have a nice feel. Nationals Park isn't much better. When you enter through the outfield entrance it is just too open and doesn't feel like a ballpark. It feels more like an outdoor shopping mall. I would take National Park over Camden Yards---I also think if they develop the whole Navy Yard area it would be a really nice area (not sure if they have last time I was there was beginning of 08 season). Nationals Park should be the model for the Marlins' ballpark as far as aesthetics go IMO. I went there this past September(ended up with Hanley's 99th career HR ball, thanks Lindstrom!) and I was impressed. Modern and sleek but nothing over the top. It has some weirdish art too, those statues at the center field entrance saluting the DC players from years past, but they still mesh nicely with the design of the park. They're bronze(I think) so they don't stand out too much, unlike the seizure inducing calamity proposed for our center field. I hope at the very least it gets toned down. In the end regardless of the crazy art installations and potentially horrible uniforms, I'm sure I'm gonna love the new place because I've only seen baseball in 4 venues(The Shark, Tropicana Field, Shea and Nationals Park) and from the looks of it ours will easily be the best I've ever been to.
  10. I like the Orange Bowl letters. That's actually a nice aesthetic touch. That Red Grooms thing is an absolute monstrosity. I'll second that. Love the OB letters layout, my only beef is that it's on the wrong side of the ballpark. If the concept is supposed to be that they "fell off the old stadium", then they should be on the west plaza, not the east. This drawing places them on what was the open end of the OB. Okay. If we are going to be so picky.... A "Hurricane" blew them off the old stadium and over to that side. That better? Works for me lol
  11. I like the Orange Bowl letters. That's actually a nice aesthetic touch. That Red Grooms thing is an absolute monstrosity. I'll second that. Love the OB letters layout, my only beef is that it's on the wrong side of the ballpark. If the concept is supposed to be that they "fell off the old stadium", then they should be on the west plaza, not the east. This drawing places them on what was the open end of the OB.
  12. As much as I dislike the home run celebration contraption(as it is now), that's how much I absolutely LOVE the OB tribute outlined in that blog: a concrete version of the "MIAMI ORANGE BOWL" sign, as if it fell off of the old stadium and onto the west plaza, creating a sculpture/seats for fans to enjoy. Very cool idea. That concept is more in tune with the overall look of the ballpark. The Grooms artwork really doesn't fit at all, at least not on that grand of a scale.
  13. I'm pretty sure that it will change by 2012. This is just a concept. I hope so. I'd like to see a more realistic marlin, maybe with light up eyes or something, rise out of REAL water, with some fountains around it. Still a bit over the top, but it be more traditional and certainly not as gaudy as this concept video.
  14. Sarah Talalay's blog has a video of what this will look like. Looks pretty cool. http://blogs.trb.com...ntinel+Blogs%29 Man, people are really generous with the term "art" these days. After seeing that piece of "art", my 2012 Uniform/Logo Fear-O-Meter has just moved up a few notches from "Uneasy" to "Absolutely Mortified". Ugh, why couldn't we have a normal sports team owner, you know, a crooked businessman or something who lets actual professionals, and/or the fans, make decisions on the look of the team and it's stadium?
  15. The Rowdies arrrrrrre... a kick in the grass! :mischief I assume your the same Orlando Rays from BigSoccer? I'm drSoFlaFan over there. I'm glad the Rowdies are coming back and have joined the NASL. Should make for a good road trip(hoping for a MFC game up there while the Fish are also in town to play the Rays, kill two birds with one stone ).
  16. Hey folks, I'd just like to bring to the attention of anyone here who doesn't know, and is interested, that we do have a pro soccer team in South Florida, Miami FC.They have recently, along with several other clubs, broken away from the USL-1 and have formed a new league, which will be called the North American Soccer League(obviously named after the original). They've applied for sanctioning as a D2 league with the USSF and CSA and that's probably coming soon. They'll probably be replacing USL-1 as the US and Canada's 2nd division since USL-1 doesn't have enough teams at the moment to play next year with all the defectors jumping to NASL.Also of note, Miami FC, known as the "Blues" since they were founded in 2006, may end up becoming the 4th incarnation of the Fort Lauderdale Strikers. They could also become the Miami Strikers. It all depends on the venue they choose. The rights to many old NASL names were recently bought up by the new league and it probably just for merchandise sales for most of the teams but Miami has struggled pulling in fans in their existence and a rebranding is likely.They probably play at either FIU Stadium in Miami, Lockhart in Ft. Lauderdale, or the Cricket Stadium in Lauderhill. The feeling right now is that it's going to be one of the two Broward venues since turnouts have been horrible in Miami for the first 3.5 seasons. This past season some of their home games were played at Lockhart to slightly bigger crowds than Miami produced.Anyway they need all the support they can get, and if there are any soccer fans out there I invite you to come out next season.Check out www.miamifc.com and the site of the Miami Ultras, the supporter's group of which I am proudly a member,  at www.miamiultras.comYeah there is better soccer out there to watch, but this is our team and if we ever want to see MLS come back, which I do, supporting our D2 team won't hurt.
  17. Since when were hits, OPB, OPS, and battle average considered old school stats? I must need to get with the times or something.. Both are plenty deserving and congrats to both of these guys, especially Chris. I know it's kind of ridiculous. Average, hits, OBP... these aren't "old school", they are the core of the game. What's next ERA and K's become "old school" stats? Coghlan was the best rookie, hands down. Hell he was statistically the best leadoff hitter all year and the best hitter in general in the second half, not just out of rookies but the whole MLB. This kid hit like a madman and played respectable defense in a new position. Congrats Cogs you earned this honor!
  18. Does anyone have a timeline of what will happen until opening day or so? it looks like it is really coming along lately and you can tell the bowl is starting to be made but i want to know what will be coming up next and what it should look like by april By April they will be working on the upper bowl on the west side, all the super columns and the track for the roof will be done, and the roof itself will start going up. Very exciting!!
  19. We had the lowest payroll in baseball and finished with a better record than the winner of the American League Central Division. I think Fredie did a damn good job! I agree. He may not be the most in your face kind of manager, but he does a good job, and is liked by his players. Would I like him to show a little more fire once and a while? Sure. Did I groan every time he brought in Pinto in a key spot? You bet. But overall he has done a fine job. Like Beinfest, he works miracles with the resources at his disposal. I'd be excited to see a big name manager come to town, but Fredi has done nothing to deserve getting replaced. And on a side note, that AL central fact is exactly why I dream for a day with full interleague play and no divisions, and the top 8 get into the playoffs. Home and home 3 game series versus everyone else for 174 games. Oh if I were lord of the baseball universe lol.
  20. Except the "Every so and so years trend" doesn't always work, or else we'd be playing next week Beat me to it :lol We've lost our 6 year playoff bid, but we still have our 3 year ROTY bid! Maybe not... perhaps the pattern is 6 years after the "firesale", which last happened after '05, so that means 2011 is our year!! lol
  21. What a moron lol. I mean seriously what has it been, 2 years since the OB started to go down and since then everyone anywhere near the Canes, Marlins or South Florida in general, knows they are building the ballpark there? College football just became a little bit more of a joke to me than it already was lol.
  22. I know the track record and all, and the team's current economic situation at >insert sponsor< Stadium, but I just can't see the Fish dumping more than 1 "big name" guy this winter. I think they'll take the relatively small financial hit to keep guys like Uggla, Cantu and/or Nick Johnson and avoid the PR mess that will come from "dismantling" again. The new ballpark is going up now, no more excuses. People will have even more of a fit about the ballpark then they already are if payroll goes down or stays the same. They've got to keep as many guys as possible and then add a starter or two. They simply cannot continue with business as usual anymore. I expect Hermida to be gone(which I have no problem with), and one of Cantu/N. Johnson(tougher loss to accept). Trade/lose anyone after that(without replacing with a major league ready equivalent) and the team will have some serious explaining to do.
  23. It will take longer than projected because they will have to remove all those royal blue seats and replace with the correct color. They are going to realize that they put the seats in for Mets fans to blend in and not the Marlins mini-nation (Loria's mistake...New York guy at heart.....hahahaha). :lol
  24. Michael Tejera. He had the best NLCS Sidewaysball I've ever seen. That's a great pitch if you can master it lol.
  25. Ya know, you guys could just spend the $$$ and get a Media Guide. A list of all past Marlins are in there by their numbers. And for alot less you can buy Media Guides from years past at the Community Corner. If you have never had one you may be surprised at all the info contained in them. ... or we can not be dumbasses and just look up the all-time rosters on marlins.com This is more fun though lol Jacque Jones

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.