Everything posted by fauowls44
-
Marlins and Pavano begin talks
i always liked pavs, but he's still not a proven commodity to offer him anything over 7 or 8 mil, and even that seems high ...he was ok in 2003; very good in 2004 and had a nice post season in 2003, and is only 28...that's it. before that he had been an injury plagued bright prospect with dismal stats my question is i was wondering why the marlins didnt offer him a multi year deal last year when he was arb eligible? 608195[/snapback] I think the reason he wasn't offered a mult-year deal last year is because of all the reasons you stated. He had a decent 2003 and before that he was an injury plagued bright prospect with dismal stats. As much as i would love Pavano back, I think the bidding for his services will go very high, very quickly. When you have the Yankees desperate for pitching and the Red Sox in the mix, it will be very hard for the Marlins to compete. 3 year, $21 million is a fair offer for Carl, but I don't think it will end up being enough. The good news is that there is a lot of other good options on the free agent maket,s hould Pavano sign elsewhere. One guy I don't think any of you mentioned is Russ Ortiz. He's a very solid #2-#3 starter and he's absolutely owned us. We'd have the added bonus of not having to face him anymore. After him, I'd look at Clement, Lowe, Morris, Perez, Carpenter, Milton, Millwood, and Wright. Someone in that group i'm sure would jump at an offer similar to the one made to Pavano, if not come cheaper.
-
Around the horn with Berardino
BERARDINO: Around the Horn Published October 31, 2004 BYE-BYE: Nice to see the Marlins do the right thing and guarantee the last three years of Mike Lowell's contract. Lowell is a winning player and class through and through. But the news almost certainly means free-agent closer Armando Benitez won't return, with career setup man Guillermo Mota forced to take over. One scout says Mota was "horrible" in September but would likely hold up better if allowed to go an inning at a time. GETTING CREATIVE: While the market for staff ace Carl Pavano could quickly get out of hand, the Marlins would be wise to make a multiyear offer to catcher Paul Lo Duca, whose arbitration number could climb close to $7 million. Lo Duca, who has the same agents as Lowell, might be willing to backload the deal and keep his 2005 salary at, say, $4 million. That could leave roughly $4 million under a projected $60 million budget to wedge in a No. 2 starter or even a backloaded deal for Pavano. Trading Juan Encarnacion and his $4.4 million obligation isn't practical until the spring with him coming off shoulder surgery and a down year. HUTCH ON ICE: Marlins pitching prospect Trevor Hutchinson was shut down after two starts in the Arizona Fall League with muscle spasms in his throwing shoulder. An MRI was negative, and Hutchinson was sent home to get ready for spring training. Depending on what happens with Pavano and fellow free agent Ismael Valdez, Hutchinson could get a shot at the back end of the rotation. If Valdez will sign for another year at around $1.2 million, the Marlins would be interested. OPTIONS APLENTY: Stone's departure probably doesn't help the Marlins' chances of landing Joe Girardi as their bench coach. Girardi lives year-round in Chicago with his young family and will likely be a prime target as Stone's replacement. The Yankees will also consider Girardi as a bench coach if Willie Randolph is hired as Mets manager, while the Cubs could find an on-field role for Girardi as well. Staying with YES, the Yankees' TV network, is another possibility. CF Pierre 2B Castillo CA LoDuca LF Cabrera 3B Lowell 1B Conine RF Encarnacion SS Gonzalez BN Aguila, Mordecai, Wilson, Treanor, Willingham, Wathan/Harris SP Burnett SP Pavano SP Beckett SP Willis SP Wayne/Bump/Kensing BP Mota, Spooneybarger, Howard, Bump, minor leaguers and spring training invites Anyone think we can win more than 80 games with this team? Winning teams don't have below-average production from half their lineup and no bench or bullpen. We need to let either Pavano or LoDuca go to afford a lefty slugger and reliever (and a replacement SP). 605057[/snapback] Still too premature, I don't think anyone has any real good estimate as to the market is going to offer Pavano except that it's going to be over 7 million a season. With the Yanks and Sox more than likely interested, it'll be hard to keep him here and it won't make any sense getting into a bidding war with those two evils. Beinfest should try to package in LoDuca and trade Encarnacion for a modest prospect, and if there is enough money left go for a bit name hitter if not go for Dellucci/Aguila in right and make the bullpen a real strength, sign a couple of long middle relief. We'd be competitive but we won't win more than 82 - 84 games next season if we don't seriously add a big name bat. After this season we have no more obligations to Pudge and Hampton that frees up 10 - 11 million a season. If Drew or Delgado wouldn't mind taking a bit of deferred money we should try for that. 605071[/snapback] I'd let Pavano walk, as long as we offer him arby, I don't really forsee myself losing sleep over it...that's if we upgrade our offense. I don't really see us being able to fit Delgado in simply because Conine's making too much money to be moved to the bench, and his defense is good enough at first to not warrant us needing a new first baseman. Ideally, I'd like to see the $24-28 million over 3 years it's going to take to get Pavano (who may get as much as a five year deal considering his age) and reinvest it in any of the average starting pitchers available, Valdez, and then take the money we're supposedly going to have left over and get a premium bat. Let's start this thought: Who would you trade (Lo Duca exempt because I know you're all going to name him, but I think it's pretty darn obvious that we're keeping him) to get or create room for an offensive powerhouse? Encarnacion will likely be dealt, but he won't bring much in return...so someone else has to go too... 605082[/snapback] You say LoDuca is going to stay but who else on this team do you think has any trade value and whose certainty as far as staying on the team is in doubt? If I a priority list for trading players: (who have value) LoDuca Pierre Castillo Lowell Conine, and Enc don't really have any value and the market wouldn't be gracious with Beckett, he hasn't done enough to draw as much value as he is capable of doing. 605093[/snapback] Josh Beckett would have the most trade value of any of our players with the exception of Cabrera. With that said I wouldn't trade any of the players you mentioned except Encarnacion. There are ways to trade him, but it will cost some prospects.
-
FAU only winner in state!
UM, FSU, UF, UCF, and FIU all lost yesterday, but the Owls moved to 6-1! They beat the FAMU Rattlers 38-8 in Tallahassee. Next week's game at Troy will be a good challenge and a good measure to where FAU stands. After that game the Owls will finish out the year with 4 straight home games. Get out to Lockhart (and PPS for the FIU game) if you can. GO OWLS!!
-
Stadium deal and Lowell in limbo
This article paints a very bright future for the stadium deal. 1) The big issue remaining is the guarantee of overruns which can easily be solved by giving the county a letter of credit or a lien on the franchise. 2) The land acquisition payments still have to be worked out, but that is not a major issue compared to the credit of overruns. 3) Morales has backed off his strong veto saying it will happen as long as the county gets a guarantee and the Marlins don't return to the county for more money. 4) They all have agreed to get started and campaign the state for the remaining $30 million. 600009[/snapback] I was going to write the same thing. Despite the gloomy looking headline, the article is actually pretty positive. The fact that Morales is backing off gives the impression that he knows that there isn't much he'd be able to do to stop the deal even if he is elected. Also, it is encouraging that none of the issues seem to be looked at as deal breakers. I just wish they would hurry up and finish this thing already.
-
SVG talks about how college sports are a joke
Gotta love SVG. He's right about this and about Dan Miceli being a jerk.
- FAU 5-0!
-
Season Ticket Prices Skyrocket
Now I know those are individual ticket sales and a lot of you hate the new season ticket stuff. But in all seriousness. PB your family/friensds last year got to go to 20 games at $4.75 per game per person. Next year it will be $10.50 per game per person. To me that still sounds like one hell of a deal to go see a baseball game. It was just the fact ownership spoiled the fans with their low prices because no one came to the games. I understand that people liek Juanky will no longer be able to afford the games, but you cannot expect ticket prices to stay for an average of less than FIVE DOLLARS a game. You just cannot make money that. You want a good team on the field, yet complain about ticket prices. Which would you prefer? 590709[/snapback] Great point. $4.75 per ticket for Major League Baseball is so low that it is almost funny. College and Minor League teams around this area charge more than that(some significantly more). I know that whenever any team raises prices there is outrage, but the fact remains that the Marlins prices are still very cheap when compared to other entertainment options.
-
Offseason Targets
Ok.? Let's kick this off right away as this will be talked about all offseason.? Who do we keep, who do we let go?? Who do we replace and with whom?? Who are the targets? I am just going to throw this out there - the Carl Pavano Situation. I dont think we need to re-sign him.? Call me crazy, but he is going to be commanding big time money.? Some estimates right now are at $7-8M per year.? As good as Carl has been for us this year and as solid as he has been, I dont think we can afford to re-sign him and dedicate such a large portion of our payroll to a guy who doesnt play everyday.? Not right now.? I would rather earmark that money for Beckett or Burnett down the road.? Besides, there are cheaper alternatives available that could replace Pavano.? For example, Matt Clement, I believe, is a free agent.? We could sign him for cheaper than Pavano - and he has nastier stuff.? Could be very productive here and would probably love to come back to be with this team (you never know).? Currently making $6M. This is just a start of this debate.? Basically, I think we could find someone to replace Pavs for cheaper and then use the 'extra' money to sign someone else at another position of importance.? That is kind of what I would like to see talked about in this thread. 580265[/snapback] Great topic. There are a number of quality starters available this offseason, should Pavano sign elsewhere. Here is a quick list: Jaret Wright, Paul Wilson, Esteban Loaiza, Brad Radke, Odalis Perez, Matt Morris, Kris Benson, and Derek Lowe.
-
WTF!?!?!?! ROSEY WON'T BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!
Something else that I found ineteresting was that Rosenthal was offered a job as pitching coach in AA next year, but would be paid his current salary.? The pitching staff in AA is going to be made up of many of the starters from Jupiter this year, all 5 of which are considered major league prospects.? It will be a very important year for those guys.? I think this shows the respect that the organization has for Rosenthal. 580264[/snapback] But why wouldnt they want him back as pitching coach for the parent team? Personality conflicts? Could this even extend to McKeon somehow - who is returning and wants to call the shots on his coaching staff as a stipulation of that return? :whistle 580271[/snapback] I think it has a lot to do wih McKeon and him wanting to bring in his own staff. There's nothing wrong with it. And appearently there were conflicts with some of the pitchers. Add that with pitchers that didn't perform well enough this year, especially the bullpen, and the guy loses his job.
-
WTF!?!?!?! ROSEY WON'T BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!
Something else that I found ineteresting was that Rosenthal was offered a job as pitching coach in AA next year, but would be paid his current salary. The pitching staff in AA is going to be made up of many of the starters from Jupiter this year, all 5 of which are considered major league prospects. It will be a very important year for those guys. I think this shows the respect that the organization has for Rosenthal.
-
WTF!?!?!?! ROSEY WON'T BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!
Admin Bowa for new bench coach please. 580228[/snapback] I actually agree. While he lost the faith of his players as a manager, as a Bench Coach I think he would be solid. He could light a big time fire under Beckett's ass. But PLEASE get me Peterson. 580233[/snapback] I agree. I think bringing Bowa in actually makes sense. Despite what went on in Philly, he's always been well regarded around baseball and you can never have too many good baseball people around.
-
WTF!?!?!?! ROSEY WON'T BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!
Pierre Arsenault!!!!!!!!! how does a bullpen catcher get dumped? this is shocking and dissapointing 580196[/snapback] Again, I think Jack wants to bring in his own people. He couldn't have made these changes last year coming off a championship, so he's doing it this season. You can't blame him for wanting to bring in people he is more comfortable with.
-
WTF!?!?!?! ROSEY WON'T BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!
if he is clashing with pitchers, it's better off him not being there 580148[/snapback] Yup If the man does not get along with the pitchers how can you expect him to help them. How much has he really even helped anyways? Dontrelle has improved but not that much. Beckett was not good this year. Burnett was average this year. Pavano many have credited his studying to his success so Rosenthal didn't have much to do with that. He has not helped a bullpen pitcher whatsoever. Nate Bump will often be wild(although he has been pretty good in the second half) Ben Howard is still wild as anything. Penny had improved int he beginning of the season but sucked in June and July. 580174[/snapback] I wouldn't say that Burnett was average for a pitcher coming off tommy john surgery, but I agree with everything else you said. Outside of Benitez, and until recently, Mota, the bullpen was a disaster this year.
-
WTF!?!?!?! ROSEY WON'T BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!
One of the worst front office decisions ever. 580134[/snapback] I think that's a little exaggerated. There was obviously problems between the pitchers and Rosenthal that led to him not being brought back. Plus, you have to remember, McKeon never chose to hire him, and he couldn't make any major changes to the staff after winning a World Series. Perhaps Jack wants to bring in some of his own people.
-
WTF!?!?!?! ROSEY WON'T BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!
From the Palm Beach Post: Decisions on the Marlins' coaching staff will be made today. There's speculation that at least one coach, possibly pitching coach Wayne Rosenthal, will be fired. Rosenthal has clashed this season with several pitchers, including starters with whom he hasn't spoken with for the past two weeks. Link
-
Marlins could be moving to AL East
I'm sure that under that scenerio it would be the DC Expos playing in the AL East, not the Marlins.
-
FIU Football game postponed
FAU's game was postponed as well. This could impact the FAU-FIU later on. One scenerio is that game will be moved to Dec. 4 to accomidate makeups of this weekend.
-
Miami Heat Training Camp
I don't think they are still at FAU. Last year they were at Palm Beach Atlantic which is in West Palm I believe.
-
Heat Tickets
Heat tickets go on-sale on Oct. 2 at 10AM according to the Heat Website. Through internet and phone only.
-
Was this season a disappointment?
After a World Championship, anything less would have been a let down. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good year. It's OK not to win a world championship every season and unrealistic to expect that. The only thing that we as fans can ask is to be competitive and play meaningful games at the end of the year, and that's exactly what happened. In the end, they fell short, but that doesn't make this season a disappointment. The fact that I keep reading that people are upset and ready to give up their season tickets is the reason that people always look down on the fans in South Florida.
-
Lowell's last season in Marlins uniform?
What may work in the deal's behalf is a commitment by MLB to forgive the Marlins debt (from acquiring the team) which would offset the $30 million the deal needs from the State. I thought that only occured if the team moves after a "good faith" attempt to get a stadium here. :mischief2 568519[/snapback] MLB recently (last four weeks) ammended their position and commitment to the Fish staying in South Florida. 568521[/snapback] Marlins2003, That sounds like good news. MLB knows that they would be crazy to lose a large market like South Florida when they are considering at the likes of Portland and Northern Virgina for the Expos. So what would your best guess on the outcome of all of this be? Do you think that a deal will be in place by November?
-
Josh Wilson
Trading Castillo is a bad idea, a .300 hitter who wins gold gloves. Between him and Pierre I'd trade Pierre who is over rated defensively. Although I'd rather keep Pierre. But in reality the player to trade is Gonzalez (packaged with Encarnacion). As much as I like his defense he can't hit consistently and never will. If we could upgrade Encarnacion at RF then you could keep him. Otherwise, the 7-9 batters are outs. Right there you save about 7-8 M. Play Easley or a rookie at SS. Keep in order of importance Pavano, Lo Duca, Benitez. Have to keep the starters together. 566914[/snapback] I couldn't agree more. The priority for this offseason is to re-sign Pavano and Lo Duca. I think we can agree that it is important for this team to have production from the catcher position. It would be great to bring Benitez back, but I don't know how realistic that will be. I also highly doubt that Castillo will be traded, nor should he be. If there is a player that Josh Wilson is going to replace its going to be Gonzalez. He's great defensively, but Wilson is supposed to be very solid in the field and i'm guessing you can get similar production offensively(not as much power, but a more consistent hitter) from him. Packaging him with Encarnacion is one way in which you may be able to unload that contract.
-
FAU 3-0
27-20 over Middle Tenneessee after trailing 17-6 at the half. Pretty incredible feat for the Owls to go 3-0 on the road to start the year against all established I-A programs, 2 of which were bowl teams last year. The home opener is this Saturday against Illinois State at Lockhart, so all you Owls fans out there get out and support them. Even if you are just a football fan, they have an explosive offense and put on a good show, so go out and see it!
-
City,County managers huddle with baseball official
The second team thing is BS. I mean, who do you move? Not the Twins because they are getting a new stadium, not the Devil Rays because of Tropicana, not Oakland (although someone should do something about giving them a brand new stadium). So who do you move? No one. :plain 560690[/snapback] I agree. Look how hard it has been to move the Expos, a team that MLB owns. The 2nd team threat is something that they will use a leverage. Still a pretty positive article.
- FAU 2-0