Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lowell's last season in Marlins uniform?

Featured Replies

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins

 

This could be it for Lowell

 

By Craig Barnes

Staff Writer

Posted September 22 2004

 

It wasn't lost on third baseman Mike Lowell that he could be beginning his final home series in a Marlins uniform Tuesday.

 

Lowell's four-year, $32 million contract is tied to the Marlins' stadium plans, and the plans still need financial help from the Florida Legislature. If the plans aren't in place by Nov. 1, Lowell can opt out of a contract that would pay $7.5 million next year.

 

Although Lowell recognizes what a stadium would do, he is more concerned about the team's competitive approach. He doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract. He isn't likely to stay with the team unless he is guaranteed that he won't be traded, and the team will remain at a competitive level.

 

"No doubt, it could be my final series in this clubhouse," Lowell said. "I hope that it isn't, but you never know. My next decision will be more of a long-term one, and I'll be interested in being somewhere where we have as much of a chance to win as we have had in the last two years."

 

In addition to himself, Lowell will want to know what the team's position is regarding high-profile free agents such as right-hander Carl Pavano and closer Armando Benitez.

 

After winning the World Series last year, the Marlins didn't re-sign first baseman Derrek Lee and catcher Pudge Rodriguez.

 

Damion Easley replaced Lowell, whose slugging percentage has dropped 68 points in the second half from .571, in the starting lineup. It was the fourth time Lowell hasn't started in 150 games.

 

He has three homers in 176 at-bats since July 28, and he hasn't had one since Sept. 1, 68 at-bats ago. He has two RBI and four extra-base hits since Sept 2.

 

Still, Lowell needs three extra-base hits to give him the most for a season, and he has 40 doubles for the first time. Lowell doesn't attribute the drop in homers to a change in his batting stance.

 

"I'm not unhappy with my power numbers," Lowell said. "I make changes in my batting stance through a season. Most of it is with legs, either widening or closing my stance."

 

Manager Jack McKeon told Lowell he would be getting a day off because he looked tired. He had a six-game hitting streak snapped in the doubleheader split with the Chicago. He went 0 for 8.

 

Lowell entered the game in the seventh inning as a pinch hitter for Alex Gonzalez, but he struck out with the bases loaded.

This team will get that stadium deal done. I have no doubts in my mind :thumbup

568498[/snapback]

 

You should know that Commissioner Jimmy Morales is doing everything possible in County Hall to make sure a deal is not in place BEFORE the election in November and his avowed first action as new County mayor, if elected, will be to kill the deal for a new Marlins stadium. His opponent, Alvarez, is in favor of the stadium deal.

 

Morales is owned lock, stock and barrel by powerful interests who want the Marlins for their own and want to drive Loria out of town in hopes of acquiring the franchise. All of Morales talk about not wanting to help out "millionaires who don't need the money" really should be translated as "I don't want to help out THAT millionaire" because he'll be more than obliged to help out HIS millionaire buddies and campaign contributors.

 

What may work in the deal's behalf is a commitment by MLB to forgive the Marlins debt (from acquiring the team) which would offset the $30 million the deal needs from the State.

 

Stay tuned.

What may work in the deal's behalf is a commitment by MLB to forgive the Marlins debt (from acquiring the team) which would offset the $30 million the deal needs from the State.

 

 

I thought that only occured if the team moves after a "good faith" attempt to get a stadium here.

 

:mischief2

What may work in the deal's behalf is a commitment by MLB to forgive the Marlins debt (from acquiring the team) which would offset the $30 million the deal needs from the State.

 

 

I thought that only occured if the team moves after a "good faith" attempt to get a stadium here.

 

:mischief2

568519[/snapback]

 

MLB recently (last four weeks) ammended their position and commitment to the Fish staying in South Florida.

What may work in the deal's behalf is a commitment by MLB to forgive the Marlins debt (from acquiring the team) which would offset the $30 million the deal needs from the State.

 

 

I thought that only occured if the team moves after a "good faith" attempt to get a stadium here.

 

:mischief2

568519[/snapback]

 

MLB recently (last four weeks) ammended their position and commitment to the Fish staying in South Florida.

568521[/snapback]

 

Well, that's certainly encouraging news.

 

Plus, you have to figure that if the Marlins are forced to leave over $30 million, MLB will have an awfully hard time awarding an expansion franchise to South Florida.

Marlins2003 is absolutely correct about Morales. I rarely vote on one issue alone, but I voted for Alvarez based solely on his support of the stadium deal. You can argue about whether public money should be used for it,,,,,,but on this issue, I am simply selfish. I want a new stadium and I want the Fish to stay in S Fla.

 

Please vote for Alvarez. If you are not old enough to vote, please engage your parents in conversation and convince them that Carlos Alvarez is the man for the job.

What may work in the deal's behalf is a commitment by MLB to forgive the Marlins debt (from acquiring the team) which would offset the $30 million the deal needs from the State.

 

 

I thought that only occured if the team moves after a "good faith" attempt to get a stadium here.

 

:mischief2

568519[/snapback]

 

MLB recently (last four weeks) ammended their position and commitment to the Fish staying in South Florida.

568521[/snapback]

 

Marlins2003,

 

That sounds like good news. MLB knows that they would be crazy to lose a large market like South Florida when they are considering at the likes of Portland and Northern Virgina for the Expos. So what would your best guess on the outcome of all of this be? Do you think that a deal will be in place by November?

What may work in the deal's behalf is a commitment by MLB to forgive the Marlins debt (from acquiring the team) which would offset the $30 million the deal needs from the State.

 

 

I thought that only occured if the team moves after a "good faith" attempt to get a stadium here.

 

:mischief2

568519[/snapback]

 

MLB recently (last four weeks) ammended their position and commitment to the Fish staying in South Florida.

568521[/snapback]

 

Marlins2003,

 

That sounds like good news. MLB knows that they would be crazy to lose a large market like South Florida when they are considering at the likes of Portland and Northern Virgina for the Expos. So what would your best guess on the outcome of all of this be? Do you think that a deal will be in place by November?

568532[/snapback]

 

Alvarez does not have anywhere near the financial resources that Morales and his political backers bring to an election. Whether Alvarez can afford to wage a competitive campaign remains to be seen. Compounding the problem for Alvarez is his political affiliation - he's a Republican in a predominantly Democratic county.

 

That said, Alvarez is perceived as less of a politician than Morales, who is a career pol. His time as head of the Miami Police Department gives him an edge in many parts of the county. Time will tell but it's too early to pick a winner.

Marlins2003 is absolutely correct about Morales. I rarely vote on one issue alone, but I voted for Alvarez based solely on his support of the stadium deal. You can argue about whether public money should be used for it,,,,,,but on this issue, I am simply selfish. I want a new stadium and I want the Fish to stay in S Fla.

 

Please vote for Alvarez. If you are not old enough to vote, please engage your parents in conversation and convince them that Carlos Alvarez is the man for the job.

568526[/snapback]

I couldnt agree with you more

Morales stated that he doens't believe in a Stadium, but will act on the comission decisions. I think it is a bunch of BS, and he is trying to buy some votes with those comments. If I was a dade county voter, I wouldn't risk a vote for Morales.

Read Alvarez's letter to the community. He mentions the Marlins.

 

I don?t believe you can be an elected official all of your life and not compromise every value and every ideal that you have ever had. You can not be a career politician at least without becoming beholding to special interests.

 

To run for office, at least in this county, you need a lot of money. And special interest groups are giving the money in exchange for access. That?s what?s occurring in Dade County.

 

But let me tell you something: There isn?t one single special interest group that?s backing me. Not one. And when I?m elected, I will be beholding to you, the citizens of Miami-Dade County, I will be beholding to all the citizens for being elected. I will not be beholding to any special interest group.

 

My career has been in law enforcement in public service. I just want to continue serving our community, which I know so well, in a different capacity. I want to represent you without the influence of special interest money.

 

Money doesn?t always prevail. Remember the World Series when the Florida Marlins beat the New York Yankees. The New York Yankees have a payroll of $180 million. The Marlins have a payroll of $50 million. The Marlins had the desire and determination to win. They won. I have the desire, the determination and enough money, so together we will win on August 31, 2004.

 

http://carlosalvarezformayor.com/promise.htm

 

I will vote for Alvarez in November. You can count on that. I have a bad feeling about Morales if he gets elected.

Morales, if elected, has made it clear (100% clear) that upon becoming mayor he will immediately fire the current county manager, Burgess, who has been the driver and the architect of the current Marlins stadium financing plan.

 

I didn't feel like paying the Herald to retreive the full article but here's the lead from a piece that ran on Sept 14, 2004:

 

Source: Jim Defede, jdefede@herald.com

 

"George Burgess was home when his phone started ringing with one caller after another telling him that Jimmy Morales was on TV saying he would dump Burgess as county manager if he won the Miami-Dade County mayor's race. ``I was kind of surprised,'' Burgess recalled. ``I've always gotten along well with him. I wish he would have told me before he announced it.''Morales, a county commissioner for eight years who had praised Burgess' hiring 18 months ago..."

morales isn't going to win he is known as a "gangster" and has his own agenda are some of the comments i've heard on him.

So the Nov 1st date is what exactly?

 

The team has to have plans in place for a stadium or Lowell is a free agent? How concrete do the plans have to be? Everything's gotta be finalized?

 

Nov 1 is right around the corner...

You're kidding yourself if you're not worried

568609[/snapback]

well we got Cabs

 

:plain

I don't want Mikey to go!!!!

 

The "Go Mikey" under my avatar doesn't mean to actually go ! :(

dont worry people this guy is gonna stay until he retires....stadium is gonna be built sooner or later.

put the no trade clause in the contract!

*Yawns*

 

OK, for those of you in Dade County, when do you vote for county mayor? (Dade County's executive is a strong mayor for those who do not know)

 

Miami-Dade County Mayor Primary Election Results

 

7.5% difference between Alvarez (zombie...) and Morales (yuck!) so the Marlins should feel safe because the ballpark is not a huge issue to drive people away from Alvarez. Personality, budget issues, and vision should be Alvarez's major issues, but he is/was the Police Chief for MDPD. He will be similar to Penelas as a big social liberal with a more conservative position on crime.

you know what?.. at this point it wouldnt be so bad if Lowell leaves

 

*note: i havent really thought about it, just throwin it out there*

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.