Willis or Oliver to pen

legacyofCangelosi

The thought of sending willis to the pen after burnett returns has been brought up, but I dont think thats a good idea. He may be effective there, but although inconsistent, willis has shown signs of being a very solid pitcher. And his bad starts are due to control problems which can be worked out, in fact Penny, dempster and many others had control problems early on in their careers and were able to work on it to become good pitchers. Oliver has been damn near terrible for all but like 2 of his starts. We cannot keep a terrible 5th starter in the rotation when we can have a talented all be it inconsistent young pitcher instead. Thoughts?

Oliver, no doubt! Dontrelle Willis has had more good outings than bad and when he's on...well he's on. However Darren Oliver hasn't had very many good starts and has struggled for most of the season.

Expect to see Oliver sittin in the pen when AJ returns :D

I have a feeling oliver may be released when burnett returns, he is good for long relief but I dont know how useful it will be to have him in the pen

The ideal situation right now would be to keep Willis in the rotation.....and give him a chance to work things out.

Pick up Helling for long relief, and release Oliver.

I have a feeling oliver may be released when burnett returns, he is good for long relief but I dont know how useful it will be to have him in the pen

The ideal situation right now would be to keep Willis in the rotation.....and give him a chance to work things out.

Pick up Helling for long relief, and release Oliver. If we get Helling, if I were Jack I might just try Dontrelle out in the pen see how he does, because I think he could be an awesome reliever, and ideal setup guy. He's way to inconsistent as a starter, and doesn't have that third pitch.

I have a feeling oliver may be released when burnett returns, he is good for long relief but? I dont know how useful it will be to have him in the pen

Pick up Helling for long relief, and release Oliver. If we get Helling, if I were Jack I might just try Dontrelle out in the pen see how he does, because I think he could be an awesome reliever, and ideal setup guy. He's way to inconsistent as a starter, and doesn't have that third pitch. Not a bad idea....but I still cringe at the thought of keeping Oliver in the rotation.

Another spin on the idea would be to send Dontrelle to the pen, and get Helling for the 5th spot in the rotation.....a scenario Rick would find more attractive.

I have a feeling oliver may be released when burnett returns, he is good for long relief but? I dont know how useful it will be to have him in the pen

Pick up Helling for long relief, and release Oliver. If we get Helling, if I were Jack I might just try Dontrelle out in the pen see how he does, because I think he could be an awesome reliever, and ideal setup guy. He's way to inconsistent as a starter, and doesn't have that third pitch. Not a bad idea....but I still cringe at the thought of keeping Oliver in the rotation.

Another spin on the idea would be to send Dontrelle to the pen, and get Helling for the 5th spot in the rotation.....a scenario Rick would find more attractive. yeah that was what I was thinking, if we get Helling I would think Oliver would be released. That would be a great day. :)

what i would like is if some reason we do end up with helling(very unlikley)is put him in as the 5th starter keep willis in the rotation and release oliver and add another arm...when AJ returnes put helling as long relief and insert aj as 5th starter.....imo

This shouldn't even be a question. You don't send a 22-year-old lefty who has great stuff and has the endurance to go late into the game to the pen. You send the 32-year-old crafty left-handed guy with average stuff that goes 6 innings to the pen. That's just a given.

There's no way we can keep Oliver in the rotation and send Willis to the bullpen. Wayne Rosenthal can work these things out...hopefully while keeping Willis' delivery the same. I think we should keep Willis in the rotation...he started the season 3-0.

This shouldn't even be a question. You don't send a 22-year-old lefty who has great stuff and has the endurance to go late into the game to the pen. You send the 32-year-old crafty left-handed guy with average stuff that goes 6 innings to the pen. That's just a given.

are you saying oliver goes 6 innings?

no question...oliver will go to the pen. Once in the pen, he can catch for the other pitchers, hand out treats, give them plenty of Gatorade, throw foul balls at fans, call his mom on his cell, pick up the equipment after the game is over....wow, he'd be a hell of an asset to our bullpen!! :D

are you saying oliver goes 6 innings? When he's at his best? Maybe.

:lol

I'm not suggesting, that Dontrelle should go to the pen. I'm just saying if we do somehow end up with Helling. I think it would be something I'd like Jack to try. I think Dontrelle has the making of a dominant set up man, because of his delivery and talent. If nothing happens, from now until AJ comes back of course Oliver goes to the pen. I don't want to see him in the rotation.

Guest Juanky

How about we cut DO fat do nothing ass and we bring up an arm when the time comes for The AJ to return. If Dontrelle struggles, have someone else move to the 5th rotation slot and send Willis to the pen.

Honestly, I know he can be amazing sometimes. But he is a two pitch pitcher. Endurance or not, two pitch pitchers are not successful major league pitchers 9 times out of 10. When he can me an amazing reliever, why not give it a shot? Until he works out a third pitch when one fails he is just going to have to throw fastballs. You can get away with that for an inning or two at a time (pen), but as a starter you are going to get your brains whacked like a fat kid who just bought his first playboy. That's just the nature of the beast.

How about we cut DO fat do nothing ass and we bring up an arm when the time comes for The AJ to return. If Dontrelle struggles, have someone else move to the 5th rotation slot and send Willis to the pen.

Honestly, I know he can be amazing sometimes. But he is a two pitch pitcher. Endurance or not, two pitch pitchers are not successful major league pitchers 9 times out of 10. When he can me an amazing reliever, why not give it a shot? Until he works out a third pitch when one fails he is just going to have to throw fastballs. You can get away with that for an inning or two at a time (pen), but as a starter you are going to get your brains whacked like a fat kid who just bought his first playboy. That's just the nature of the beast.

I agree with most of what you state here. However, it is so puzzling that he can be so dominating that I'm not sure what to make of it. So far, If his location and control is good he has success.