Willis

Das Texan

if i remember correctly wilis was effective during the playoffs when he was moves to the pen right? so i guess thats the best choice, but what happens to that open spot in our starting pitching? or will they go w/ a 4 man rotations when DO is replaced by burnett

if i remember correctly wilis was effective during the playoffs when he was moves to the pen right? so i guess thats the best choice, but what happens to that open spot in our starting pitching? or will they go w/ a 4 man rotations when DO is replaced by burnett

Nope. You can't chance a 4-man yet with Burnett. Either Oliver or Willis are moving to the bullpen. And as much as Oliver has done to basically secure that role he's atleast shown promise in his last few starts between Beckett and Penny. Willis has been surrounded by major leaguers for 12 months now and hasn't picked up that third pitch.

After batters have seen Willis he turns into a Darren Oliver.

It has nothing to do with the other team seeing Dontrelle. The D-Backs have seen him once before today.

It has EVERYTHING to do with Dontrelle not able to locate his pitches.

People forget that when Dontrelle came up to the majors, in his first few starts he got roughed up. Colorado, San Diego, and Montreal all did pretty well and they had never seen anything like his funky delivery. But then he started pitching more accurately, and untimately improved.

Guest Juanky

You guys really want to move the guy who lacks consitency and has already had two first innings where he had 0 control to the bullpen.

I don't think he's suited for the pen at all.

Two pitch pitchers don't survive as starters in the majors. He either gets a new pitch or off to the pen with him. One or the other.

You guys really want to move the guy who lacks consitency and has already had two first innings where he had 0 control to the bullpen.

Two pitch pitchers don't survive as starters in the majors. He either gets a new pitch or off to the pen with him. One or the other. Yeah, I agree with the fact that 2 pitch pitchers can't last as starters.

I'm not sure how much he'd help us in the pen when he doesn't have control 2 out of every 5 appearances.

[blasphemy]

Maybe he could learn that new pitch as an Isotope.

[/blasphemy]

I'd move Willis to the pen before Oliver as well. I think he has a brighter future as a closer rather than a starter. Having Willis/Fox/Wayne in the bullpen would be enough set-up men before Armando.

I'd like to see what Tejera can do in the starting rotation. That's grounds for a hanging around these parts.

I have a feeling some of that is because he gets so pumped up. Perhaps he'd be calm when he comes in to a game after being on the bench for 5-7 innings. The only drawback is losing his bat as a starting pitcher. If he gets another pitch or two this offseason, he could move back into the rotation next year.

I'd move Willis to the pen before Oliver as well.? I think he has a brighter future as a closer rather than a starter.? Having Willis/Fox/Wayne in the bullpen would be enough set-up men before Armando.

I'd like to see what Tejera can do in the starting rotation. That's grounds for a hanging around these parts. He's got a 2.50 ERA in hitter friendly Albuquerque. Enough said.

unbelievable...talk about being spoiled. you guys already want Willis demoted after a couple of bad starts? The damn kid is 22 YEARS OLD, what the hell do you guys expect? a cy young? He doesn't have Beckett Stuff, or Penny stuff,He's doing a good job with what he has and will only get better, but he needs the experience and that DOESNT mean throwing him into the bullpen after every slump. Once AJ returns he'll be our #5...not many teams can have that luxury.

I have a feeling some of that is because he gets so pumped up. Perhaps he'd be calm when he comes in to a game after being on the bench for 5-7 innings. The only drawback is losing his bat as a starting pitcher. If he gets another pitch or two this offseason, he could move back into the rotation next year. Fair point.

Despite all this talk, he's not going anywhere for a while. It's going to take several bad starts in a row for him to lose his spot in the rotation.

Willis is still >>>>>>> Oliver

Two pitch pitchers don't survive as starters in the majors. He either gets a new pitch or off to the pen with him. One or the other. And starters that traditionally struggle in the first inning are very well suited for the bullpen.

Guest Juanky

Two pitch pitchers don't survive as starters in the majors. He either gets a new pitch or off to the pen with him. One or the other. Yeah, I agree with the fact that 2 pitch pitchers can't last as starters.

I'm not sure how much he'd help us in the pen when he doesn't have control 2 out of every 5 appearances.

[blasphemy]

Maybe he could learn that new pitch as an Isotope.

[/blasphemy] The only reason I disagree with the notion of sending him down for a little while is that we don't anyone that can do a decent job replacing him. If we did, I would be all for it.

Guest Juanky

unbelievable...talk about being spoiled. you guys already want Willis demoted after a couple of bad starts? The damn kid is 22 YEARS OLD, what the hell do you guys expect? a cy young? He doesn't have Beckett Stuff, or Penny stuff,He's doing a good job with what he has and will only get better, but he needs the experience and that DOESNT mean throwing him into the bullpen after every slump. Once AJ returns he'll be our #5...not many teams can have that luxury.

Since when is moving a starter to the pen a demotion? So I guess Eckersley, Gagne, and Smoltz were all demoted?

Hmm, you know what those three have in common? They are three of the most dominant closers of all time. Hell, Eck and Gagne are both Top 3 All Time. Period.

Since when is moving a starter to the pen a demotion? So I guess Eckersley, Gagne, and Smoltz were all demoted?

Hmm, you know what those three have in common? They are three of the most dominant closers of all time. Hell, Eck and Gagne are both Top 3 All Time. Period. Does Willis have the stuff that those 3 have? Not even close...he gives up hits and lacks control, the last thing you want from your "closer"

If Willis is moved to the Pen, It wont be to close and thus it IS a demotion, his lack of control and inconsistency don't suit him to be a setup man, either.