Marlins @ Braves 7:05 PM EDT 6/30

-- vs. --

Burnett (0-3, 4.30) -------- Byrd (1-1, 2.02)

On TV: FSN Florida, FSN South, MLB.tv

On Radio: 560 WQAM/Marlins Radio, 1140 WQBA/Espa?ol, 750 WSB/Braves Radio, MLB.com Gameday Audio

Time: 7:05 PM EDT (Most of Florida)/6:05 CDT (Panhandle)

Date: Wed., June 30th, 2004

Weather Forecast, Current Conditions, and Radar

*Anti Jinx Engaged From Now Until The End of This Game*

Cape's Prediction: Marlins win it dammit!

Pitcher vs. Batter: Burnett vs. ATL -- Byrd vs. FLA

Courtesy of: MLB.com, Weather.com, and ESPN.com

Lets run the pitch count up early on Byrd so we can get to the Braves bullpen. He'll probably be on a pitch count since he's just comin off of surgery

that's a great idea :cool

make byrd work so we make bobby use that bullpen again....hopefully AJ will put out a good enough performance so he can get that 1st win.....i see easley playing in this one.

Lets run the pitch count up early on Byrd so we can get to the Braves bullpen. He'll probably be on a pitch count since he's just comin off of surgery

that's a great idea :cool

make byrd work so we make bobby use that bullpen again....hopefully AJ will put out a good enough performance so he can get that 1st win.....i see easley playing in this one. Are you kidding? The Braves bullpen has killed us.

Yahoo! Sports Game Preview

Florida's A.J. Burnett and Atlanta's Paul Byrd each had their careers derailed by Tommy John elbow surgery. Now, they're both trying to get back on track.

Burnett and Byrd square off as the Marlins and Braves continue their four-game series.

Burnett underwent reconstructive elbow surgery in April 2003 and did not return until June 3, when he allowed two earned runs and five hits in four innings in a 4-1 loss to the New York Mets.

The right-hander, who won a career-high 12 games in 2001, has allowed two or fewer runs in four of his five starts this season, but is getting only 0.86 runs of support per nine innings.

``I feel better each time out,'' said Burnett, who tossed a no-hitter on May 12, 2001. ``I'm getting more comfortable. I'm tweaking my delivery, and I feel like I'm getting better and better each time out there.''

Burnett allowed two runs and three hits in eight innings of Friday's 2-0 loss to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, the 10th complete game of his career. Burnett, who threw just 89 pitches, including 61 strikes, retired 14 straight at one point, but was outdueled by Dewon Brazelton, who took a no-hitter into the eighth inning.

``I think that's three starts in a row for him that he was great, but we don't get him any runs,'' Marlins third baseman Mike Lowell said. ``I think it's encouraging again that it looks like he's in top shape.''

Burnett has not won in the majors since Aug. 18, 2002, going 0-5 in 13 appearances, including 11 starts, since then -- the longest winless stretch of his career.

Byrd has had better luck since returning to the mound. The right-hander, who underwent elbow surgery on July 1, 2003 after signing a two-year, $10 million deal in Dec. 2002, pitched seven innings in a 4-0 win over the Cleveland Indians on June 19 for his first victory since Sept. 19, 2002.

However, he was charged with the loss Friday, when he gave up three earned runs and six hits in 6 1-3 innings in a 5-0 defeat to the Baltimore Orioles.

``I'm here to help us win and turn it around,'' Byrd said. ``Tonight, I had to go out there and not give up any runs. That's just the fact of the matter. I didn't do it. So it's disappointing.''

The Marlins beat the Braves 5-4 on Tuesday, snapping Atlanta's three-game winning streak. Eli Marrero homered and went 3-for-4 for the Braves.

Lowell and Miguel Cabrera hit back-to-back homers for the Marlins, who scored three runs in the first inning off Mike Hampton. Florida is 2-4 in its last six.

Lineups

FLORIDA

CF Pierre

2B Castillo

3B Lowell

RF Cabrera

LF Conine

1B Choi

SS Gonzalez

C Redmond

P Burnett

ATLANTA