Who will we land?

Stag5

With about a week to go who do you think we will land? Not who do you want ...who do you think we will get?

OF Admin Walker - too much talk. I think this is happening. Lefty, power, lives in WPB, It seems they are working out financial arrangements.

CA Brent Mayne - This year he has thrown out 47% of the runners trying to steal. I don't expect that but he is very solid behind the plate and also a decent LH pinch hitter.

Setup - Jorge Julio - The Os want to deal him. I think Rosey would love this young arm.

To obtain these three guys will probably cost us Stokes, Conine, Murphy, Wayne or Bump, another couple of ML'ers and possibly Koch just to move $300k.

Pierre

Castillo

Lowell

Walker

Cabrera

Choi

Gonzalez

Mayne

The Pen becomes Benitez, Julio, Manzy, Howard, Perisho and Bump, Wayne or Koch.

You guys have it mixed up..BJ Ryan is not going anywhere. The O's are looking to move Julio. The problem is that with so many stoppers on the market his value is not quite what they would like. But my guess is he willl be moved.

You guys have it mixed up..BJ Ryan is not going anywhere. The O's are looking to move Julio. The problem is that with so many stoppers on the market his value is not quite what they would like. But my guess is he willl be moved.

473271[/snapback]

Why the hell would the O's trade a 25 year old closer who throws 100 MPH and is cheap.

473271[/snapback]

Why the hell would the O's trade a 25 year old closer who throws 100 MPH and is cheap.

473277[/snapback]

my thoughts exactly

I think that we're not going to end up with a whole lot. Here're my predictions:

We give up on Finley because we don't want to move Pierre for him and meet the asking price for a 39 year old rent-a-player who really shouldn't play against lefties. He ends up going to San Diego because they have the best offer on the table because the Phils refuse to part with Hamels or Floyd for Finley.

We focus on Walker only to have him decide that he wants to stay in Colorado, and the Rockies realize that they aren't going to be getting enough financial relief to justify trading their most recognizable franchise player.

Trying to do something to jumpstart the offense, Beinfest makes a minor move or two, but nothing that clearly sends Conine to the bench or Cabrera to left.

However, nobody in the NL East makes a move of significance (Benson ends up in Anaheim), and we end up getting the most significant additions for the stretch run in Cordero and Spooneybarger recovering from injuries (there, I said it). :cool

I doubt Arizona wants Jay Payton(and prospects) in return for Steve Finley and thats why it seems that SD has backed out of the race for him

anyway, what was SD's offer for Finley(including prospects)

473291[/snapback]

The article I read seemed to say that Finley was the one pushing for San Diego, and that San Diego was open to a trade, but that they were waiting for the D'Backs to make them an offer. Supposedly, Payton, and any of their outfield prospects were available, but the Padres really have an underwhelming assortment of tradeable prospects. However, they don't need financial support from the D'Backs, so that's a big plus.

The Phillies were told that to get Finley they'd need to deal Gavin Floyd or Cole Hamels and they refused. Sexson's presence makes Ryan Howard undesireable to the D'Backs, and the Phils seem to think that Howard is their key to Benson.

Really, we've continually been in the best position to offer the most for Finley, but it seems we've cooled to him because we need a right fielder, not another centerfielder.

I doubt Arizona wants Jay Payton(and prospects) in return for Steve Finley and thats why it seems that SD has backed out of the race for him

473291[/snapback]

The article I read seemed to say that Finley was the one pushing for San Diego, and that San Diego was open to a trade, but that they were waiting for the D'Backs to make them an offer. Supposedly, Payton, and any of their outfield prospects were available, but the Padres really have an underwhelming assortment of tradeable prospects. However, they don't need financial support from the D'Backs, so that's a big plus.

The Phillies were told that to get Finley they'd need to deal Gavin Floyd or Cole Hamels and they refused. Sexson's presence makes Ryan Howard undesireable to the D'Backs, and the Phils seem to think that Howard is their key to Benson.

Really, we've continually been in the best position to offer the most for Finley, but it seems we've cooled to him because we need a right fielder, not another centerfielder.

473302[/snapback]

I also read that the D-Backs were very reluctant to trade Finley to a team he may possibly resign with like San Diego, and that they would have to overpay for the D-Backs to trade Finley to them.

473291[/snapback]

473302[/snapback]

I also read that the D-Backs were very reluctant to trade Finley to a team he may possibly resign with like San Diego, and that they would have to overpay for the D-Backs to trade Finley to them.

473306[/snapback]

Yeah, I read that too. They seem pretty reluctant to deal with anyone in their division.

The Orioles are not sold on Julio as a closer worth paying $3MM which he will probably receive in arbitration. If you look at this past off-season, experienced closers such as Benitez and Looper were signed for $3.5M. If Julio is traded, BJ Ryan will be given a shot at the closers job.

Julio has fared much better away from Camden than at home. He is a flyball pitcher and that has hurt him. He also has walked too many which makes him a perfect fit for the Marlins pen :)

we need a right fielder

473302[/snapback]

Can we please stop with this 'Cabrera should be in left' stuff?

Miggy didn't play gold glove defense in left last year. He's only playing a little worse in right this year than he did last year in left. Cabrera's future is in the right field. He's got an arm that can't be wasted in left.

If you move him, what happens next year? Does Conine/Willigham/Aguila take over right? Yeah right. The only guy we have in the system who could play right, Jeremy Hermida, isa few years off and may not even pan out. Cabrera's going to have to learn to play right field, and moving him to left for 2 months isn't going to help.