Ashlee talks about the Orange Bowl

MiRi

Ashlee's Deep Denial

Jan. 12, 2005

Ashlee Simpson is fast becoming an expert at the blame game. After her lip-synching, square-dancing meltdown on "Saturday Night Live," she was quick to fault both the band and her pesky acid reflux.

Now, days after she received a resounding chorus of boos following an eardrum-shattering half-time performance at the Orange Bowl, she's once again running plays from the excuses handbook (a tome we're guessing was penned by dad Joe Simpson), and she's pointing the fickle finger of responsibility at everyone but herself.

"If they didn't like the performance, and that's what it was about, then sorry to them," a deep-in-denial Ashlee pouts to MTV. "Maybe they were booing at me, maybe they were booing at the half-time show 'cause the whole thing sucked. I was facing [the Oklahoma Sooners], and I was rooting for USC, and they played a clip of it, so maybe it was that those people didn't like me. You never know. But I can't make everybody happy."

As for her much-mocked, off-key rendition of "La La" (its screechy denouement of "you make me wanna scream" is forever seared in our brain), Simpson blames that old-standby -- the sound equipment.

"There were no ear monitors when we went onstage," she complains. "No floor monitors. And trying to sing in a stadium where you can't hear yourself is kinda hard. My sister [Jessica] was like, 'I don't know how you just did that! I performed in stadiums, and if I didn't have my ears, I would have freaked.'"

But Ashlee says her recent trials and tribulations have helped her grow as a person, and she channels both Stuart Smalley ("I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me") and a popular bumper sticker ("Mean people suck") in dismissing her troubles.

"I go from having a No. 1 album ["Autobiography"] and things going great and all of a sudden something like 'SNL' happens and boom! You're faced with how mean people can be and criticizing you and stuff," she tells MTV. "But I've learned a lot about myself through all of this. It's like, I'm not perfect and I'm not going to be perfect."

For now, Simpson remains unconcerned about her seemingly shaky future. "I'm still 20, and a new artist, and I will only grow," she says optimistically. "And I look forward to continuing to not listen to what one person says and making good music." Good luck with that, sweetie.

http://entertainment.msn.com/music/hotgossipB

ok she sucks & all that, & yeah the lip sync bit was funny, but really who gives a crap?

was everyone in the world a huge fan before & now is heartbroken all of the sudden?

please... I didn't listen to her before, & I won't listen to her tomorrow. has no effect on me whatsoever. let the kids have their pop stars.

we have this need to tear people down.

besides, if we ran everyone out of hollywood who didn't have any talent, there'd be precious few people left there.