Miggy > Beltran?

prinmemito

I'll take Miggy because you just don't perform like that at 21 years old.

658259[/snapback]

Both of their stats in their first full seasons in the show, Beltran was 22 and Cabs was 21:

Beltran's stats at 22 years old: 22 HR, 108 RBI, .293 BA, . 337 OBP, .791 OPS

Cabrera's stats at 21 years old: 33 HR, 112 RBI, .294 BA, . 366 OBP, .878 OPS

Also, Cabs had 3 less errors than Beltran and only 1 less OF assist in their first full seasons :D .

Cabs' defense will improve over time, don't worry. Those couple of diving catches he made against the Astro's last year were just a preview of what's to come.

If I was playing one game and I needed to pick one then Beltran.

He can bunt for a hit or a runner over. Can get me an extra base or two and steal. Also has the glove. Also Cabs will chase pitches.

If I am starting a franchise than Cabs, his ceiling in the long run may be higher.

I don't usually play homer, but I'm taking Miggy.

For one thing, we know Miggy can perform in the prime time. We'll see how Beltran handles the pressure of playing in New York and making a bajillion dollars.

658492[/snapback]

So you'll junk Beltran's playoff experience but count Cabrera's playoff experience? Nice homerism.

At any rate, I'd be curious if someone posted SB and CS stats for both.

For one thing, we know Miggy can perform in the prime time.? We'll see how Beltran handles the pressure of playing in New York and making a bajillion dollars.

658492[/snapback]

So you'll junk Beltran's playoff experience but count Cabrera's playoff experience? Nice homerism.

658512[/snapback]

Cabrera hit an oppo home run against Roger Clemens in the world series against the New York Yankees.

You tell me when Beltran does that.

Anyway, I take Cabrera. I don't think twice when I say he should be one of the greatest hitters ever.

For one thing, we know Miggy can perform in the prime time.? We'll see how Beltran handles the pressure of playing in New York and making a bajillion dollars.

658492[/snapback]

658512[/snapback]

OK, I forgot about Beltran's playoff success. He had 8 HR in 46 ABs. That's pretty good. Cabrera succeeded on a bigger stage, but whatever... We'll call it a wash.

I don't really think stolen base numbers are going to add much here. We all know Beltran's a better base stealer.

You can't compare Beltran and Cabrera because they are two entirely different players. Plus he is much younger then Beltran he more then likely has yet to show his full potential yet (which is hard to believe I know.) Both are good players. IMO Cabrera is better Offensively but if you want the more well rounded player in terms of defense Beltran is the man. Just remember. Every other fan in baseball is jealous of what a good thing you have in Cabrera.

but you also have to take into account what Beltran's salary was before FA this year. I guarantee you Cab's will be an expensive player too, once he hits the market. It wont be $400,000...

658726[/snapback]

That's a bit absurd. Was Beltran putting up these kind of numbers at 21? And by the time Cabrera hits the free agent market, he'll be putting up .300, 50 and 130.

We are talking about a 21 year old who just hit .290 with 33 HR and over 100 RBI in his first full season. If that isn't impressive, what is?

I didn;t say it wasn't impressive. In fact, Miggy is one of the few players on the Fish I actually really like. However, I think when comparing the two, you can't fairly compare present salaries. One is basically entering his second full year and the other is about to enter his 6th. When Miggy hits the FA market, he won't be this bargain that you're praising about him. Up until this offseason, Beltran was a bargain as well.

I'm not arguing talent here... just the whole salary argument. No other team has had a chance to have Miguel, so of course his salary is low. Beltran was there... but now had the opportunity to bargain for more.

How bout we do it this way:

Miguel Cabrera 1st full season:

AVG .294 HR 33 RBI 112 $320,000

Carlos Beltran's 1st full season:

AVG .293 HR 22 RBI 108 $200,000

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.