BBTN

i've seen plenty of nats coverage when they were winning against the phils

735045[/snapback]

Nats beating the Phils is surprising.

Marlins beating the Nats, not at all.

National shows cater to the national audience. And this may come as a shocker, the nation does not care about the Marlins! And with attendance down around 19k again tonight you wonder if even S. Fla cares.

735045[/snapback]

National shows cater to the national audience. And this may come as a shocker, the nation does not care about the Marlins! And with attendance down around 19k again tonight you wonder if even S. Fla cares.

735048[/snapback]

There's too many god damn games in the baseball season for everyone to show up. 19k is a lot anyway.

I was upset about the attendance during the Braves series. Opening night was awesome but then we dropped off to 20,317 and 19,108. I was hoping for atleast 25-30k a night. Hopefully the upcoming Phillies series will be better because the Nationals right now wont. They will maybe if they are in contention later but it's too early for FLA fans to care about us playing them right now.

We will still draw 2 million fans. No worries :) .

735045[/snapback]

735048[/snapback]

There's too many god damn games in the baseball season for everyone to show up. 19k is a lot anyway.

735049[/snapback]

Compared to other games held today, in places not called Tampa Bay, it was towards the lower end.

Tonights games attendance (that were not home openers because that will not be fair):

Nyy-Balt: 43,128

Houston-Cincy:36,382

Det-Clev: 23,294

LAA-KC: 39,167

Ari-LAD: 25,813

Sea-Tex 29,652

All other games were either played in Tampa Bay, or opening days/nights, or did not have information in yet.

Seems to me the Marlins had the second to worst attendance in the league tonight, and you wonder why the national shows might not care.

19k is a pretty sad # on a friday night with one of the more popular arms throwing

last year was horrific for the d-backs and they still put up 31k per game on average

the marlins 26th in the league with 22k a game .. only 2 teams averaged below 20k

in 2003 the fish averaged 16,290 on their way to win the world series (28th in the league)

2002 they were 29th in the league with just over 10k a game (barely edging the expos)

2001 was another banner year as 15k showed up and the fish were 29th in the league

attendence is up all across the boards league wide, so i'm not so excited to see the fish climb from 15k in 2001 to 22k in 2004 (after winning the WS in 2003)

in the same time the phillies average attendence jumped 18k, the angels 17k, san diego 8k, while many other teams were stable

another stable is that the marlins are in the bottom 5 in attendance, despite fielding a fun, competative team in a decent sized market

it is really mind boggling ... maybe the new stadium would make the differance to add another 10k a game into the #s

maybe the new stadium would make the differance to add another 10k a game into the #s

735054[/snapback]

How? By building a stadium in a place surrounded by people who won't be able to afford the tickets?

The prices went up this year, I would put money down if and when the Marlins move into a new building tickets will cost more again. And there aren't many people in that hood who will be able to afford too many games, even if they don't have to drive to the stadium.

You cut some of the WPB and Northern Broward population out. If the Panthers get competitive again, which they seemed like they were going to this year, they panthers will syphon off some of the northern fans because those games will be more convienient. The heat will have a good fan base by '09, eating into Marlins April-June attendance.

I think 10k is too big of a jump to expect.

probably .. wishful thinking i suppose

the padres added on 12k with the new stadium (and a boost of winning)

the phillies also added on about 12k

then again pittsburgh really didn't do much and cincy made a modest gain from medium low to medium high in attendence

a stadium doesn't need much in the surrounding community to do well if it is put up right

the location of the stadiums in philly is a pit ... but with good highway and train access it's easy enough to get in and out ... but you aren't doing much there after the game

downtown phoenix is a joke and the stadium can be a pain the butt to get to and there are few options after the game, but it still strives

with a new stadium comes construction, the buildup that brings, about a 2 year buzz which if met with winning could make it the trendy place to be instead of just going to a dump

it's now acceptable to take a non-baseball fan date to a game in philly .. back in the days of the vet chances are you'd sit that one out

casual fans will come to check out the new digs and if they see a product they like maybe they will come back

But I think in Phillies case the Vet was a bad bad bad stadium. People didn't want to go to that.

Dolphins stadium is a bad "baseball stadium" but its not a pit, because heck, a lot of Marlins fans go to that stadium with no problems in the winter for Dolphins games.

Another reason for the jump, maybe:

the 4 years before the new stadium the Phillies were a collective: 13 games below .500. Last year they finished 10 over .500.

In the 4 years before the Pirates moved into the new stadium they pushed 100 loses nearly twice. Last year they were nearly at .500 in the start of the second half, obviously getting people excited, before they just fell apart down the stretch.

the vet actually wasn't that bad to watch a game in .. it just wasn't very exciting, had poor concessions, etc

however, for select games they would turn the concourses into a giant cookout and do other fun things to help make up for that

winning is a huge part of the equation

that is probably why competative teams don't have as strong as a raw #s jump ... but they do firm up their position some

there is little reason why the marlins, playing in that large of a market, with a competative team and a stadium designed to enhance the experience can't be in the top 15 in attendance

however, asking anything more than 20th seems to be a stretch

just frusterating ... especially since i'm not an in market fan ... who knows how many games i'd actually go to if i did live there though

last year I went to 4 non marlins games in AZ

in philly it was a rare occasion to catch someone other than florida .. but i probably caught 3 non fish games a year in the vet

this year is also disapointing because i will be out of town when they come to AZ and probably won't be able to afford a road trip to SD/LA (although i'd love to catch them at either park.........)

Gas prices aren't helping those of us who aren't close to the stadium. Gas is up to 2.35 cheapest near me. Nonetheless, I will do my best to make it to 5-7 games, even though I'm 1h or so away. Just hope gas doesn't get too bad.

735059[/snapback]

Gas prices should not be an excuse. The prices are higher everywhere. That excuse just makes Miami fans look bad. 19 K is awful this early into the season on a Friday night.

735045[/snapback]

735048[/snapback]

The Nats (Expos) just don't generate a lot of excitement. Last year we opened with them. We are still ahead of last year's total attendance after 4 games:

2004 - 113,981

2005 - 116,157

However, that will likely change after tonight as there was 46K for the Saturday game last year, and we'll be doing good to get over 30K tonight.

Gas prices aren't helping those of us who aren't close to the stadium. Gas is up to 2.35 cheapest near me. Nonetheless, I will do my best to make it to 5-7 games, even though I'm 1h or so away. Just hope gas doesn't get too bad.

735059[/snapback]

And is gas any cheaper in the rest of the country? That's the sort of excuse that gives Marlins fans a bad name.

WHERE THE HELL IS THE RESPECT?

all they show is the DP...

thats it, i'm officially selling my stock in espn

did they even say dontrizzle was 2-3 with 2 rbi's CG?? rediculous 5 hit shut out?

735039[/snapback]

its a 20 minute show..

By the time the new Stadium is built, the area around it will have been bought out and rebuilt with new houses with People who have the MONEY to buy tickets.

The fact is Miami will always be a Football town. If two championships in 6 seasons isn't enough, then nothing is. The marlins still have a young organization that not many people grew up watching, like Dolphins. Unless the Dolphins become a low-tier team for years to come the Marlins are going to have to wait until atleast one generation grows up watching baseball in Miami.