Two biggest surprise Marlins so far

CanadianFishFan

For me I have to say Moehler and Bump.

Moehler has been awesome. To come in as a replacement starter and post the numbers he has is incredible. I hope he continues his success.

Bump made me nervous everytime he entered the game last year. This year he seems to be settling down. He has only given up 2 walks in almost 17 innings and hasn't had any outings that made me hold my breath. The whole bullpen has made me happy compared to what I expect, but especially Nate.

It's nice to have surprise players like this especially when some players like Lowell and Leiter are playing below their standards.

I'll have to agree on bump and moehler. Enc seems to be slowing down to his normal pace (meaning 03 form, not injured 04 form). I think we can pull off a trade now for bullpen help and perhaps someone for the bench. We can trade enc, start the niner, and perhaps bring sumone up to play off the bench

770812[/snapback]

yo what the hell is up with you..."we can pull of trade"...will you stop saying we need to trade him already...DAMN it man we're winning and he's part of the reason why we're winning and you wanna give him up??will you just please stop this trade enc garbage already...face it man conine is not going to start over him this year..GET OVER IT....

Bump has been surprising but I still don't trust him in tight spots, and I am sure most of you feel the same. As for ENC I always knew he had it in him, and for Moehler, before his inuries he was a solid starter, and work ethic proves winners, look at Roger Clemens, his ethic and how he wins, same thing w/ Moehler although they don't compare EVER talent wise it's a great example, Moehler is a gamer, he has pure heart, and he had a desire to be back in the bigs pitching in the nl, and facing one less batter than in the AL could have had the Mark Redman effect on him, and will continue to dazzle although I expect him to have his off-days. But my yet Marlins most improved player which is scary is Dontrelle Willis, he is having a great run like in 2003 when we won it all, hope someone else goes on one of these little hot streaks, it can easily place us at the top! Once Lieter and Lowell come around our team will be the X-Factor of the NL itself!

Moehler. Hands down. He's actually only a few innings short from qualifying in the ERA leaders. If you counted Moehler, we'd have 4 of the top 10 pitchers in ERA for the National League. (and top 14 in the majors)

Second biggest surprise has got to be Dontrelle, who I really thought would be a good #3 starter for years, but has looked just ridiculous thus far.

Enc having a good start is a nice surprise, but I expect things will average out. Give him a full season & he'll hit .270 with 20 or so homers. If there's anything that's shocked me about him it's his patience at the plate & getting on base via taking walks.

I'll have to agree on bump and moehler. Enc seems to be slowing down to his normal pace (meaning 03 form, not injured 04 form). I think we can pull off a trade now for bullpen help and perhaps someone for the bench. We can trade enc, start the niner, and perhaps bring sumone up to play off the bench

770812[/snapback]

yo what the hell is up with you..."we can pull of trade"...will you stop saying we need to trade him already...DAMN it man we're winning and he's part of the reason why we're winning and you wanna give him up??will you just please stop this trade enc garbage already...face it man conine is not going to start over him this year..GET OVER IT....

770814[/snapback]

Its not about conine starting, its about whats good for the team. First of all arent you the one jumping the gun about al leiter? The enc trade will benefit us in several ways. first it cuts payroll, second what we acquire from the trade, be it bullpen help or otherwise is more useful than having a streaky OFer with a history of having an unusually poor OPS and OBP. Furthermore, it will also allow us to call up an OFer from the minors to be on the bench. Perhaps Willingham? Thats why trading enc is a good idea, if we wait too long his value will decrease when he gets back to normal. Get the most out of him now.

I'd go with Willis and Encarnacion as my biggest surprises so far. Juan for the much improved plate discipline, and Dontrelle for his consistency.

Moehler has been better than I expected, but I remember him from Detroit so I was pleased to hear he would be picking up Valdez' starts.

For me, and not to take away from anyone else, I'd have to say it's Brian Moehler first and foremost, and a tossup between Dontrelle, who historically starts hot, and Jim Mecir, who, in the last year of his career seems ready to go out on top at what he does. That said, I could also of named a handful other pleasant surprises so far this season.

Mecir and Willis are a dichotomy. One is old, disabled, his career virtually over. The other is in the infancy of his career, with years of success ahead of him. I don't think anyone (except Admin Beinfest) expected as much from either as they've provided.

But in the end, what Brian Moehler has provided, for me, is the biggest surprise.

770812[/snapback]

770814[/snapback]

Its not about conine starting, its about whats good for the team. First of all arent you the one jumping the gun about al leiter? The enc trade will benefit us in several ways. first it cuts payroll, second what we acquire from the trade, be it bullpen help or otherwise is more useful than having a streaky OFer with a history of having an unusually poor OPS and OBP. Furthermore, it will also allow us to call up an OFer from the minors to be on the bench. Perhaps Willingham? Thats why trading enc is a good idea, if we wait too long his value will decrease when he gets back to normal. Get the most out of him now.

770889[/snapback]

yea i'm the guy that said that about leiter...ok supposing they trade him and he does really well in the other team we trade him to and conine becomes inconsistent, who are you gonna start then??don't tell me some one you just called cause that's bull...again i say trading enc to play conine is just plain dumb...

For me I have to say Moehler and Willis have been my two big surprises. I thought D-trizzle was good but wow i never thought he'd start like this, and Moehler has been a great addition to that rotation. I give credit to ENC and Bump too because they have played well. In all honestly i'm impressed with everyone with the except of Lowell(who I know will turn it around)and Leiter

While this thread is getting off-track last night's game should be a good example of why you need BOTH Encarnacion and Conine on your team.

It's a long season and players are going to get dinged up, pull a muscle (or worse) and you need an effective bench to get your team through those kinds of events.

If we weren't a contender it might be that the team would trade BOTH veterans and bring up some kids to get some experience and allow the front office to evaluate them. But we ARE a contending team and so even a kid like Chris Aguila is going to take a backseat to the guys who have ML experience when it counts.

Now, can we get back to the subject of this thread?

i may take a slightly different angle

i'm most suprised my moehler .... the guy has had arm problems in the past and was a big question mark ... I was once concerned if he could if he could be a good fill in 5th starter ... now I have full confidence in the guy

willis, although suprising, is someone you expect good things out of .. i expect him to continue to get better ... i wasn't expecting this much .. but still have high hopes for the kid

the guy who really suprises me as my #2 is mike lowell ... his bat has been cold for a lot longer than I thought possible ... i fully expected him to continue to rip balls down the line and flourish in this new lineup ,especially with how enc has been hitting

to me his slump is very suprising

While this thread is getting off-track last night's game should be a good example of why you need BOTH Encarnacion and Conine on your team.

It's a long season and players are going to get dinged up, pull a muscle (or worse) and you need an effective bench to get your team through those kinds of events.

If we weren't a contender it might be that the team would trade BOTH veterans and bring up some kids to get some experience and allow the front office to evaluate them. But we ARE a contending team and so even a kid like Chris Aguila is going to take a backseat to the guys who have ML experience when it counts.

Now, can we get back to the subject of this thread?

770923[/snapback]

point taken...my suprise is moehler and dontrell.....cause no one expected moehler to pitch this good..and willis is flat out amazing right now..