Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jack was outmanaged

Featured Replies

First with the two runs because the infield was back. Then Cox forces him to put Andrew on knowing he'd change for the Loogy. Then he puts the old man in to counteract the move....GAme Over. Cox > McKeon

can't disagree

 

Cox is a sure HOF, you don't win 13 straight division tittle by not knowing how to manage a team

can't disagree

 

Cox is a sure HOF, you don't win 13 straight division tittle by not knowing how to manage a team

828867[/snapback]

Could you imagine if he managed our team. Man we would sure be in first place in our division by a lot.

So what happens if someone singles with the infield in.. then people would question why Jack had the infield playing in. If Jones hit a homer then people will question why Jack didnt walk him :confused

So what happens if someone singles with the infield in.. then people would question why Jack had the infield playing in. If Jones hit a homer then people will question why Jack didnt walk him :confused

828872[/snapback]

The life of a manager :confused

As a Braves fan, I have liked McKeon over the years back to his Reds days..

 

But enough's enough. He's not a better manager than Cox .. he doesn't relate to the players as well as Willie Randolph. Frank Robinson perenially gets more out of his kids than does McKeon.

 

It's time for you guys to cut ties - you thought you'd never get another Jim Leyland, but another gem will be found. What old man wouldn't go to Miami given the chance?

 

Looks like 2005 is a distant memory. Just build the team around Burnett and Cabrera and see where it goes - why you're trying to cut him is beyond me.

As a Braves fan, I have liked McKeon over the years back to his Reds days..

 

But enough's enough. He's not a better manager than Cox .. he doesn't relate to the players as well as Willie Randolph. Frank Robinson perenially gets more out of his kids than does McKeon.

 

It's time for you guys to cut ties - you thought you'd never get another Jim Leyland, but another gem will be found. What old man wouldn't go to Miami given the chance?

 

Looks like 2005 is a distant memory. Just build the team around Burnett and Cabrera and see where it goes - why you're trying to cut him is beyond me.

828892[/snapback]

and what about willis?

wait a minute...

 

are you trying to tell me bobby cox is a better manager than jack mckeon?????

 

Ha!

 

Can't fool me!

 

I'll never believe that...

I'm soaked, I'm p*ssed off and I'm almost embarrassed I went to tonight's game.

 

I'll tell you one thing, Messenger's mechanics are all screwed up as is his complete ignorance of what's going on around him. Both Lowell and Delgado came over to talk to him because he was somewhere other than where should have been, focused on the game, but to no avail.

 

Wiley went out there to fix his stride, and he does for two pitches and back to the same thing, putting his foot down about ten inches too soon. He could add 2 mph to his fastball if he'd just stride properly. Perhaps what's wrong with him is he is uncoachable.

  • Author

As a Braves fan, I have liked McKeon over the years back to his Reds days..

 

But enough's enough. He's not a better manager than Cox .. he doesn't relate to the players as well as Willie Randolph. Frank Robinson perenially gets more out of his kids than does McKeon.

 

It's time for you guys to cut ties - you thought you'd never get another Jim Leyland, but another gem will be found. What old man wouldn't go to Miami given the chance?

 

Looks like 2005 is a distant memory. Just build the team around Burnett and Cabrera and see where it goes - why you're trying to cut him is beyond me.

828892[/snapback]

 

Jack in Florida has not affected the Braves at all. I believe they owned us in 2003 and we didn't face in the playoffs...

Not to mention Jack should have left Messenger in the game instead of bringing in Valerio De Los Perisho.

I'm soaked, I'm p*ssed off and I'm almost embarrassed I went to tonight's game.

 

I'll tell you one thing, Messenger's mechanics are all screwed up as his complete ignorance of what's going on around him. Both Lowell and Delgado came over to talk to him because he was somewhere other than where should have been, focused on the game, but to no avail.

 

Wiley went out there to fix his stride, and he does for two pitches and back to the same thing, putting his foot down about ten inches too soon. He could add 2 mph to his fastball if he'd just stride properly. Perhaps what's wrong with him is he is uncoachable.

828950[/snapback]

 

that's a shame, because it looks as if he's got a decent fastball and a nice little offspeed pitch (or whatever that was he got Andrew Jones to swing through...)

I'm soaked, I'm p*ssed off and I'm almost embarrassed I went to tonight's game.

 

I'll tell you one thing, Messenger's mechanics are all screwed up as his complete ignorance of what's going on around him. Both Lowell and Delgado came over to talk to him because he was somewhere other than where should have been, focused on the game, but to no avail.

 

Wiley went out there to fix his stride, and he does for two pitches and back to the same thing, putting his foot down about ten inches too soon. He could add 2 mph to his fastball if he'd just stride properly. Perhaps what's wrong with him is he is uncoachable.

828950[/snapback]

 

that's a shame, because it looks as if he's got a decent fastball and a nice little offspeed pitch (or whatever that was he got Andrew Jones to swing through...)

829066[/snapback]

 

The guy is the size of a house with legs a mile long (not that I like to exaggerate lol), if he used his body the way he should and got his head in the game the kid could be something special.

 

One of things that made Randy Johnson (and I'm talking about the RJ of the last few years) overpowering was that with his enormous stride hitters felt like he was throwing the ball from thirty feet away, not sixty. But Messenger drops his stride foot almost straight down, well short of where he should, both from the windup and from the stretch, and in doing so give hitters way too long to see his pitch coming.

The guy is the size of a house with legs a mile long (not that I like to exaggerate lol), if he used his body the way he should and got his head in the game the kid could be something special.

 

One of things that made Randy Johnson (and I'm talking about the RJ of the last few years) overpowering was that with his enormous stride hitters felt like he was throwing the ball from thirty feet away, not sixty. But Messenger drops his stride foot almost straight down, well short of where he should, both from the windup and from the stretch, and in doing so give hitters way too long to see his pitch coming.

829091[/snapback]

 

Have faith that Wiley can straighten him out. He seems to do a very good job with young pitchers.

Turner South, on MLB Extra Innings.

 

I have that along with MLB TV and I switch between the two once in a while.

829297[/snapback]

 

Ah, I only have MLB TV... However, the game is on TBS on Thursday, so those will be Braves announcers.

Jack has been outmanaged by alot of managers this year. Look at what Willie Randolph has done when the fish have faced the Mets. For almost the entire season, every other team is coming in aggressive and Jack is just sitting with his legs closed and that perplexed look on his face, while he forces all of us to just wait around for a 3-run homer. The 3-run homer usually comes in the third game of a series when we have already lost the first 2 because we can't score.

 

Hey Admin, don't give up on the season; make the change now!!!

Jack has been outmanaged by alot of managers this year. Look at what Willie Randolph has done when the fish have faced the Mets. For almost the entire season, every other team is coming in aggressive and Jack is just sitting with his legs closed and that perplexed look on his face, while he forces all of us to just wait around for a 3-run homer. The 3-run homer usually comes in the third game of a series when we have already lost the first 2 because we can't score.

 

Hey Admin, don't give up on the season; make the change now!!!

829347[/snapback]

 

 

out of all the jack gets outmanaged posts this is the only one i agree with. Jack has never really been that aggressive of a manager and that is one thing i don't like. maybe he's better suited in the AL rather than the NL where you can just sleep for 6 innings and then just manage the bullpen. I don't think he got "outmanaged" tonight as drastic as you guys think. how was he supposed to know messenger would have such a bad outing. he should have brought de los santos in earlier. the only gripe i have about jack is that he doesn't push for runs. not enough sac bunts on nights that were in a tight ball game. not enough hit and runs (which many managers are strictly against). it seems like we're trying to ride on the coattails of cabrerra and delgado.

 

Why don't we talk about delgado leaving the bags juiced in the 4th inning w/ 2 outs? that isnt the first time hes done that. :mad

Why don't we talk about delgado leaving the bags juiced in the 4th inning w/ 2 outs? that isnt the first time hes done that.

 

Or Gonzalez striking out with bases loaded and 1 out, when a fly ball would have scored a run...but I guess it's expected from AGon...even when he's "hot".

I'm soaked, I'm p*ssed off and I'm almost embarrassed I went to tonight's game.

 

I'll tell you one thing, Messenger's mechanics are all screwed up as his complete ignorance of what's going on around him. Both Lowell and Delgado came over to talk to him because he was somewhere other than where should have been, focused on the game, but to no avail.

 

Wiley went out there to fix his stride, and he does for two pitches and back to the same thing, putting his foot down about ten inches too soon. He could add 2 mph to his fastball if he'd just stride properly. Perhaps what's wrong with him is he is uncoachable.

828950[/snapback]

 

that's a shame, because it looks as if he's got a decent fastball and a nice little offspeed pitch (or whatever that was he got Andrew Jones to swing through...)

829066[/snapback]

 

The guy is the size of a house with legs a mile long (not that I like to exaggerate lol), if he used his body the way he should and got his head in the game the kid could be something special.

 

One of things that made Randy Johnson (and I'm talking about the RJ of the last few years) overpowering was that with his enormous stride hitters felt like he was throwing the ball from thirty feet away, not sixty. But Messenger drops his stride foot almost straight down, well short of where he should, both from the windup and from the stretch, and in doing so give hitters way too long to see his pitch coming.

829091[/snapback]

 

 

You're completely right. I thought his release point was way too far back. He didn't hide the ball at all. I was looking at it on TV and you could see the ball coming from a mile away. Also seemed that he doesn't have as much control on ANY of his pitches. He just lets them go and prays they hit the zone. On the plus side his pithces seem to have a LOT of movement. I was watching his 2 seem fastball, being released way too early, you could see it move a lot on the way to the plate.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.