Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Huizenga taking note.

Featured Replies

HUIZENGA TAKING NOTE

 

The Marlins' recent success has not escaped former owner H. Wayne Huizenga. During a visit to Dolphins camp Tuesday, Huizenga said: "I've been out of town for about five or six weeks, but I watch every time I pick up a USA Today or something. I'm happy they're doing well. It's great. They've got a chance to make the wild card here. I think it would be fantastic if they did that."

 

Huizenga added that the increased attendance should also help the team's bid to secure financing for a new ballpark.

I cant complain about what he does with the Dolphins, but I dont want to hear Wayne say another word about the Marlins. I dont care if its positive, what he did to this team and the market still hasnt been fixed and will be a long time until it does. I hope the Marlins win the WS just to stick it to him and make him sit on that pointy trophy.

I hope the Marlins win the WS just to stick it to him and make him sit on that pointy trophy.

 

Unfortunately, he'd be crying all the way to the bank.

I don't want to hear Huizinga EVER talk about the Marlins again. I'm glad he's decided to put lots of cash into the Dolphins, but he betrayed all of us fans. I will personally never forget that. Even now, he is cheating the Marlins out of stadium revenue. :thumbdown

I always hate him because of the Marlins, and love 'em because of the Dolphins. But you know, he's just another guy on the bandwagon.

 

You know for a fact that Wayne is up in his skybox watching Marlin games every chance he gets.

You know for a fact that Wayne is up in his skybox watching Marlin games every chance he gets.

Ugh, I know... :angry :angry :angry

It's easy for Wayno to be magnanimous right now because, between parking, rent, and concessions, he's making more $$$ on the Marlins success than the Marlins.

 

And in a couple of weeks the Dolphins will be tearing up the sod at PPS, making it troublesome for baseball. Remember the atrocious condition of PPS after Sunday football last season?

Another reason to hate football. :angry

here we go with the football bashing again

Another reason to hate football. :angry

Don't forget,

To the football fans the Marlin's mess up the football field...Another reason why we need a new stadium.

 

Baseball is meant to be played in a baseball stadium, not a football stadium.

Don't forget,

To the football fans the Marlin's mess up the football field...Another reason why we need a new stadium.

 

Baseball is meant to be played in a baseball stadium, not a football stadium.

I'm a Dolphins fan...

 

And by tha clay being on the field, we kinda screw it up for the Dolphins. It is, in fact, their stadium.

Baseball is meant to be played in a baseball stadium, not a football stadium.

Oh yeah. Amen!

 

Stupid PPS... :banghead :banghead :banghead

i know all Marlins fans love the fact that we dont even get money off of concessions and parking. We really only get about 1/2 (at the most) of what we should based on our attendance.

I love that last line there...

 

Huizenga added that the increased attendance should also help the team's bid to secure financing for a new ballpark.

 

Hey that's great Wayne. You know what else would help?

 

First, you kissing my a** would help.

 

Second, how about easing up on your stadium lease agreement for the time being and stop raping this ownership of the parking & concession proceeds for Marlins games you little puke?

 

Not gonna happen, but it's amusing to hear him pretending to cheer with one hand while holding them back with the other hand.

Not gonna happen, but it's amusing to hear him pretending to cheer with one hand while holding them back with the other hand.

More like flicking us off with the other hand. :cool

Put em back in the orange bowl

excuse me? last time i checked Joe Robbie... THE DOLPHINS ORIGINAL OWNER... built that stadium.

I love that last line there...

 

 

 

Hey that's great Wayne. You know what else would help?

 

First, you kissing my a** would help.

 

Second, how about easing up on your stadium lease agreement for the time being and stop raping this ownership of the parking & concession proceeds for Marlins games you little puke?

 

Not gonna happen, but it's amusing to hear him pretending to cheer with one hand while holding them back with the other hand.

Great post!!! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

What has he done to the Marlins? :blink:

I truly hope your joking. :plain

 

But seriously,you don't know what Insane Wayne did to the Marlins?

Could someone tell me why Wayne sold the team? He owned the stadium and fans were going out to see the team so why did he do what he did?

Read this article.

 

 

 

MIAMI - The above advertisement is fictional. The details are fact. In a baseball world gone mad, the Florida Marlins have bought the pennant and decided to sell.

 

Wayne Huizenga, who made his fortune by disposing of garbage, is now trying to dump his diamond empire. The Marlins started their first World Series Saturday night as a stunning artistic success and a staggering financial flop.

 

Huizenga claims to have lost $30 million on the Marlins this season, and insists he is not willing "to sustain the losses any further." If he does not sell his stake in the ballclub - an intention he announced in June - he may pare his payroll to a point where the playoffs are unattainable.

 

"We're losing our a** here," Huizenga said Friday. "Before we started in sports, I thought we could buy the team and maybe make a little money with it. I soon found out that wasn't possible. Then our goal was, 'Let's just try to break even.' We haven't been able to do that."

 

Huizenga invested $89 million in the free-agent market last winter - acquiring such notables as Moises Alou, Bobby Bonilla and Alex Fernandez. The spending spree stimulated season attendance by 600,000, but the big-bucks Marlins drew 700,000 fewer fans in 1997 than they did in stumbling through 1993. The novelty of a contending club was not enough to overcome the location, configuration and precipitation of Pro Player Stadium - built for football; crow-barred for baseball.

 

"It doesn't have the atmosphere," Huizenga said. "You come here and you can have 30,000 people here and it's like drinking in an empty bar. A new stadium does more. A new stadium creates an atmosphere that you can't create here."

 

You know the routine. There's nothing wrong with any sports franchise that a new, tax-subsidized stadium won't solve.

 

Huizenga has made this power play work before, on behalf of his hockey franchise, the Florida Panthers. Yet he doubts he can do as much for the Marlins. As the adjective "billionaire" has become attached to Huizenga's name, the public has become wary of bailing him out. Already, the Florida legislature has refused to grant Huizenga $60 million in tax breaks to make Pro Player Stadium more conducive for baseball.

 

"I don't believe that anyone will build a new stadium for the Marlins," he said Friday, "as long as Wayne Huizenga is attached to the team."

 

Yet in another interview, Huizenga said he was starting to hear from politicians and business leaders, urging him against acting hastily. Though Marlins President Don Smiley continues to work on developing an investor group to buy the ballclub, Miami Mayor Joe Carollo is exploring the idea of building a retractable-dome ballpark in downtown Miami.

 

Theoretically, the World Series should serve to build support. Presumably, the big push to get there this year was a part of Huizenga's master plan. A man doesn't often make a billion dollars by accident.

 

"I like Wayne Huizenga as the owner," said Marlins slugger Gary Sheffield. "If we go out and win the World Series, he might change his mind. That's been the attitude of the whole team. If we can do something to make him feel special around here, he might reconsider."

 

A man doesn't often make a billion dollars through sentiment. While Wayne Huizenga calls this cost-uneffective Marlins' season his "contribution to South Florida," it might mean more money in the long run.

 

While the baseball owners were unable to achieve realignment last month, they did agree to allow clubs to sell stock to the public. Conceivably, initial public offerings could be a bigger bonanza than new ballparks.

 

Last year, Huizenga sold off less than half of the equity in his hockey team for $70 million - an amount greater than the estimated worth of the franchise. You would think stock in a World Series team might command a larger premium.

 

"I'm not going to tell you that I'm going to sell the team," Wayne Huizenga said. "Maybe we will keep the team. And maybe we'll change our mind. Maybe we'll try to figure out something else. I don't know what that is right now. But whatever that is, I don't want the fact that I'm a billionaire to hurt the Marlins."

 

A man doesn't often make a billion dollars without recognizing the time to sell.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.