Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Manager

Featured Replies

Who do you think realistically will coach the Marlins next season(assuming Jack retires or leaves)? There are many candidates out there such as,Lou Pinella, Grady Little, Jim Leyland, Admin Bowa(if he leaves ESPN),Art Howe,etc. Also who do you think will take this Franchise in the right direction? :mischief2

Need to go younger than this crowd. There is not much that differentiate these guys styles with McKeon.

 

GarNYdi, Pena, Ozzie (coming home)

I don't think any of those guys will be hired as the Marlins' next manager. From what we've heard, the top candidates are Davey Johnson and Joe Girardi. A lot of us would like to see Tony Pena and perhaps Gonzalez (third base coach of the Braves) interviewed as well. I think any of those guys would do better than McKeon. Also, it sounds as if Ozzie Guillen will be leaving the White Sox after this year... I think we should go with him if he's available.

it is a little tougher than you think. A manager has to manage the game, manage the EGOs, manage the FO and deal with the day to day issues in/around the clubhouse. Insiders suggested early that this team had issues in spring training.

I am pretty clueless about those guys.... Are they pretty good managers? And info about them?

 

Thanks

 

:shrugs

 

 

Davey Johnson managed the Mets to the World Series title in 1986 and he managed the Orioles in the 1990's when they were making the playoffs year in and year out.

 

Joe Girardi has never managed, but is Joe Torre's bench coach right now. He was the catcher for the Yankees during the mid 1990's and also caught some during their run of four world series titles.

 

Tony Pena managed the Royals for two seasons. He did a fine job of managing that team the first season and I believe they even had a winning record. The second season the Royals sucked a**, but that was mostly because they were fielding a triple A team... not really his fault the players didn't have the talent.

 

Gonzalez is currently the Braves' third base coach and he's been there for a while I believe. I get the feeling he's picked up a few tricks from Bobby Cox... I think he would be an outstanding manager.

 

Grady Little managed the Red Sox for a few years and left after the 2003 season. He is blamed for the Red Sox's meltdown against the Yankees in the 2003 ALCS for letting Pedro stay in to pitch when he was clearly tired. Pedro told Little to let him pitch one more inning and I believe the Yankees scored 3 or 4 runs off him and tied the game. In extra innings, Boone hit that walk-off series ending homerun.

 

You know Ozzie, Leyland, and Bowa. Ozzie is well liked in the Marlins organization... the main question with him is whether he'll be available at all. Sounds like he might be out in Chicago after this season. Would like to see him in So. Florida again.

  • Author

Wasn't Davey Johnson involved with the Olympics for the U.S. baseball team?

How did Mordecai do as a coach in the minors?

 

 

Record was dismal. Something like 27-43. Don't know exactly, but I do now they were definitely a losing team.

I hear Kevin Kennedy might be interested in taking a managerial job. He only managed a few years in the bigs, but had success with both the Rangers and Red Sox, and a successful minor league managing career.

 

Kennedy, 534-373 from 1984-91 as a manager in the Dodgers farm system, led the Texas Rangers to first place in the American League West in the strike-shortened 1994 season, and the Boston Red Sox to the '95 AL East title.

 

Year Team G W L Pct Rank Playoffs 
1993 Texas Rangers 162 86 76 0.531 2 --- 
1994 Texas Rangers 114 52 62 0.456 1 --- 
1995 Boston Red Sox 144 86 58 0.597 1 Lost in 1st Round (Indians) 
1996 Boston Red Sox 162 85 77 0.525 3 --- 

Totals:  4 year(s) 582 309 273 0.531 

 

  • Author

Does anybody want to see Jim Leyland reunite with the Marlins? Remember he was our first successor.

I am pretty clueless about those guys.... Are they pretty good managers? And info about them?

 

Thanks

 

:shrugs

 

 

Davey Johnson managed the Mets to the World Series title in 1986 and he managed the Orioles in the 1990's when they were making the playoffs year in and year out.

 

Joe Girardi has never managed, but is Joe Torre's bench coach right now. He was the catcher for the Yankees during the mid 1990's and also caught some during their run of four world series titles.

 

Tony Pena managed the Royals for two seasons. He did a fine job of managing that team the first season and I believe they even had a winning record. The second season the Royals sucked a**, but that was mostly because they were fielding a triple A team... not really his fault the players didn't have the talent.

 

Gonzalez is currently the Braves' third base coach and he's been there for a while I believe. I get the feeling he's picked up a few tricks from Bobby Cox... I think he would be an outstanding manager.

 

Grady Little managed the Red Sox for a few years and left after the 2003 season. He is blamed for the Red Sox's meltdown against the Yankees in the 2003 ALCS for letting Pedro stay in to pitch when he was clearly tired. Pedro told Little to let him pitch one more inning and I believe the Yankees scored 3 or 4 runs off him and tied the game. In extra innings, Boone hit that walk-off series ending homerun.

 

You know Ozzie, Leyland, and Bowa. Ozzie is well liked in the Marlins organization... the main question with him is whether he'll be available at all. Sounds like he might be out in Chicago after this season. Would like to see him in So. Florida again.

 

 

Wow thanks so much :) That was really nice of you.... Davey Johnson is my kind of manager.. Playoffs year after year :)

Does anybody want to see Jim Leyland reunite with the Marlins? Remember he was our first successor.

 

 

Leyland will probably go to the Pirates if he decides to manage this year. But sure, I'd like to see him back.

  • Author

Which manager will command the most money from your perspective? Also which of these managers were actually successful in the playoffs, how many titles?

I don't care who we get as manager, as long as its soon after the season, or I'm afraid we'll be seeing threads like this every day (isn't this like the fourth one in the past week?).

I would love to see Fredi Gonzalez back with the Marlins. He knows the NL east and has been learning from the best manager in the Majors.

 

I do not understand the obsession with Ozzie. I see a guy who is burned out in his second year as manager. To even suggest that the White Sox might not make the playoffs after the fast start they had shows how poorly they handled success.

To even suggest that the White Sox might not make the playoffs after the fast start they had shows how poorly they handled success.

 

 

Or it shows how well the Indians have performed the last few months, kind of like the Marlins in 2003. I mean, the White Sox are 94-61... if they play one game under .500 ball the rest of the way, they'll finish at 97-65. That's damn good.

Sweet Lou would be more of the same for this team.....not what we need.

 

I'd like Pe?a, Ozzie, maybe Fredy (gotta think about that one), and possibly Davey Johnson (same).....not necessarily in that order.

 

But the question about all of these guys is, can they handle pressure? Pe?a would be managing a big team for the first time, Ozzie has been managing in a town where his team wasn't even the most important baseball team let alone team period, and Fredy has never managed. Could either of these three handle the fact that Miami is not only a win now town but the Marlins if they field a similar team to this year's will again be expected to secure a playoff spot? Johnson has been in that position before, but I'm worried he might keep some of McKeon's cronies (who should all go except Perry Hill and possibly Mark Wiley - Mr. I'd put the stop sign on Michael Johnson and Bill I couldn't even hit on my wife Robinson need to GTFO).

 

Sigh.

Which manager will command the most money from your perspective? Also which of these managers were actually successful in the playoffs, how many titles?

 

 

You might be my favorite new poster. You make good topics and ask good questions.

 

 

I'd love to see Lou Piniella, he's like Jack but with more fire. I don't know why everyone's in Davey Johnson's pants on this board...I think there's probably a reason he hasn't managed lately.

 

If not Lou, I'd love to see Grady Little. Girardi is too young and inexperienced. I also wouldn't mind Fredi Gonzalez, who I wanted as a manager after Boles/Perez instead of Torborg.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.