Mike Jacobs

Lefty

Uh, maybe it's just me, but he seems like a very good player.

25 years old

30 games, 100 ABs last year, 11 HR 23 RBI

.310 BA

1.085 OPS..

I mean, 100 AB's is a pretty big sample size.

And he's a lefty.

I don't know much about him other than those stats, but can he put up big numbers in the future?

30 HR, 100 RBI?

I like Mike Jacobs a lot. He's got massive power. Hit 36 HR in AA and MLB last season. He's gonna strike out a lot, but that comes with the territory.

This is why I

I like Jacobs a lot more than Petit. I'd like to see him put up those numbers consistently for more than 100 ABs. But I will admit I had high hopes for him as a Met. But essentially we're getting what he could be in 3 years, best case scenario. Petit doesn't impress me at all. I'm glad we got something of value for him.

I like Jacobs a lot more than Petit. I'd like to see him put up those numbers consistently for more than 100 ABs. But I will admit I had high hopes for him as a Met. But essentially we're getting what he could be in 3 years, best case scenario. Petit doesn't impress me at all. I'm glad we got something of value for him.

Mets_bs, were the Mets going to use Jacobs at catcher eventually or only at 1B? I'm reading that he still would like to play catcher, unless they felt his injury would limit him there? I would think he'd be much more valuable as a catcher, unless his defense is really subpar.

His sample size only included 5 AB vs Lefties. That is my only worry for him. I wonder if they can pull up stokes to split time at 1B with him?

He had an .896 OPS vs. LHP in AA.

Also, Stokes is garbage. He's a bust. Don't mention his name around here ever.

I remember Mets_bs downplaying Kazmir's talents after he got traded to TB.. so I'm not reading to much into his opinions towards Petit.

Link

Especially when he held Petit so highly back at the trade deadline.

I don't know how you can classify the Mets losers for turning down a deal where they deal their 2 best prospects, starting right fielder, and take on 20 mil a year over the next 3 seasons. Red Sox were asking too much from the Mets. And Soriano is the most overrated player in the league, he's s*** outside arlington. The best thing the Mets could have done with the demands that were made would be to stand pat.

Mets_bs, were the Mets going to use Jacobs at catcher eventually or only at 1B? I'm reading that he still would like to play catcher, unless they felt his injury would limit him there? I would think he'd be much more valuable as a catcher.

A Platoon at first with Nady. I think his catching career is all but over. He was given a chance to play there when we brought him up and he opted for first.

I remember Mets_bs downplaying Kazmir's talents after he got traded to TB.. so I'm not reading to much into his opinions towards Petit.

Link

I didn't say anything there about Petit being a great player. He's a highly regarded prospect, but so was Geoff Goetz. I've always been a bit leary about his potential at the ML level.

Also he's known to contradict himself.

Trading Petit and Milledge is hard"]

and then when it didn't happen on August 1

I don't know how you can classify the Mets losers for turning down a deal where they deal their 2 best prospects, starting right fielder, and take on 20 mil a year over the next 3 seasons. Red Sox were asking too much from the Mets

Seems like he is the Mets equivalent of WildMarlinMan2003

Link

I didn't say anything there about Petit being a great player. He's a highly regarded prospect, but so was Geoff Goetz. I've always been a bit leary about his potential at the ML level.

Lemme guess, Kazmir was a highly regarded prospect, but lefty high school SPs with suspect control never pan out.

:rolleyes:

Also he's known to contradict himself.

Trading Petit and Milledge is hard"]

and then when it didn't happen on August 1

I don't know how you can classify the Mets losers for turning down a deal where they deal their 2 best prospects, starting right fielder, and take on 20 mil a year over the next 3 seasons. Red Sox were asking too much from the Mets

Seems like he is the Mets equivalent of WildMarlinMan2003

How? I said I was fine dealing Petit and Milledge. The Mets offered Milledge, Petit, AND Cameron ... and the turned it down. If it was Milledge and Petit I'd still do it.

Link

Lemme guess, Kazmir was a highly regarded prospect, but lefty high school SPs with suspect control never pan out.

:rolleyes:

First, I'd like to see a quote from me downplaying that trade when it happened. After they rushed him the majors and he looked shakey I said they were ruining him, a Brazelton Redux. But on the right team and in the right system he could be (still probably will be) lights out.

Jacobs Trying To Catch On At First

by: Joe McDonald | Publisher and Editor-in-Chief | Sunday, April 17 2005

BINGHAMTON, NY - Going into last season, Mike Jacobs was the big catching prospect for the New York Mets. After being named 2003 Mets Minor League Player of the Year by hitting .329 with 17 homers and 81 RBI for AA Binghamton, the San Diego native moved up to AAA and was primed to make his Major League debut in late 2004.

Unfortunately, Jacobs?s season was ended on June 14 when he underwent surgery to repair his right labrum. It was a setback and put the catcher into a situation he never experienced.

"It was scary," Jacobs told NY Sports Day. "After never being hurt before, even as a little kid growing up, the first thing that enters your mind is ?Am I going to recover from this? How long is this going to take??"

It?s taken almost a year, but the 24 year-old left-handed hitter is now back to full strength. After being in Major League Spring Training, Jacobs took a step back and was sent back to Binghamton to split time between catcher and first base. He is learning how to play the new position and feels that this move is the best for his career.

"After talking with our coaches and front office, they reassured me that it?s not a demotion, but they want me to save me my arm and work at first," Jacobs said. "They didn?t have any at bats at first base in AAA."

With Craig Brazell, Brian Daubach and Luis Garcia splitting time at first base in AAA, Jacobs has found everyday play for the BMets and is finding the transition going smoothly. He had some experience at first, but this is the first time he played the position on a regular basis.

"I feel comfortable, since I played some first base over the last three years, since I was at St. Lucie," Jacobs said. "It?s not really a tough position to play."

Jacobs still looks at himself as a catcher and is behind the plate three or four times a week. With Doug Mientkiewicz solidifying the first base position and Mike Piazza in his last year of his contract, being a backstop is still his ticket to the Majors.

"If this was a move strictly to first base, I would probably be against it, but I am still catching," Jacobs explained. "I am still on the roster and still one step away. If someone gets hurt, I can get called up."

"I need to go out and have another solid year," Jacobs added. "And just show [the organization] that I am still the same guy who tore it up here two years ago."

If he does, the Mets may have their catching heir for Piazza.

That article was from April of this year, obviously before the Mets called him up. This is why I keep wondering if he's not still a possibility at catcher too. Looks like the Mets talked him into switching to 1B more than it being his idea. Both because it worked better for them, & to ease the wear on his arm after the injury. Dunno, just something to keep in mind.

Well he was set to debut in '04 apparently when he tore his labrum & had to go back to the minors to rehab & learn 1B.

2005 New York Mets 100 at-bats: .310/.375/.710

2005 AA Birmingham 433 at-bats: .321/.376/.589 - and named MVP of the Eastern League.

2004 AAA Norfolk only 99 at-bats: .177/.245/.271 during his injury-shortened season

2003 AA Birmingham 407 at-bats: .329/.376/.548

Those numbers don't appear to suck. Although I understand that no one can be any good if they haven't torn the majors apart by the age of 16. :rolleyes: