Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fish eyeing Astros Willy Taveras

Featured Replies

Sorry if posted:

 

The Marlins have not abandoned the notion of acquiring Tampa Bay center fielder Joey Gathright, but the two teams are having trouble matching up. The Devil Rays are believed to have requested two of the Marlins' premium pitching prospects, more than the Marlins have offered.

 

Houston center fielder Willy Taveras also is being monitored. He could become available if Jeff Bagwell proves healthy enough to play first base. It would move Lance Berkman back to the outfield and make Taveras expendable, particularly for young, major league-ready pitching. Source: Sun-sentinal.com

 

I really like this option. There asking price is reported to be less than what the Rays want for Joey. Although this deal probably wont be made by opening day, the Fish are still looking at it. We will get a first look at him opening day in Houston. I would prefer him over Joey. Comments? Thoughts? What do you guys think?

i like it but i donthink the astros woul give him up for less than what TAmpa wanted for gathright

If they don't require Olsen or another one of the Top Tier guys that are ready to go, do it. Maybe a Nolasco for Taveras would be a coup for Beinfest.

 

With that said, I can't fathom any reason why the Astros would be trading him. He's a prototypical leadoff guy who has good range and a cannon for an arm. Not to mention, he just won RotY. Seems cooked up to me.

Not to mention, he just won RotY. Seems cooked up to me.

 

 

Ryan Howard?

 

Taveras should have won, but Howard won. Kind of like Podsednik/Willis in '03.

Err, that's right. My bad.

 

Still, point remains.

If they don't require Olsen or another one of the Top Tier guys that are ready to go, do it. Maybe a Nolasco for Taveras would be a coup for Beinfest.

 

With that said, I can't fathom any reason why the Astros would be trading him. He's a prototypical leadoff guy who has good range and a cannon for an arm. Not to mention, he just won RotY. Seems cooked up to me.

 

 

If I'm not mistaken, Ryan Howard won ROY.

Anyway, Taveras isn't that great. Look at his home/away splits. His road stats are horrible, with a pitiful OBP and SLG. Plus, his home games are a very hitter friendly park in Houston. Imagine him in Dolphins Stadium. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him if the price was right. He has potential for upside obviously. But those road stats scare me. He's a bit overrated in my opinion.

 

Road: .252/.282/.289

Now we are wheeling and dealing! Although I am sure that the guy we'll end up with is Joey Gathright, I am extremely high on Willy Taveras.

I don't like neither of the two but if I had to chose I would go with Joey Gathright based on talent, potential, tools. Now, knowing Tampa Bay they will ask for 2 top prospects, which is why I rather give Abercrombie, Reed and Aguila a shot first.

Now we're talking! Taveras is a stud I rather have him on his worse day than Gathright on his best...Taveras is much better with the leather and has a infinitely better arm! Taveras is a much better hitter as well...Make it so!

I don't like neither of the two but if I had to chose I would go with Joey Gathright based on talent, potential, tools. Now, knowing Tampa Bay they will ask for 2 top prospects, which is why I rather give Abercrombie, Reed and Aguila a shot first.

 

I'm proud of you! But yes, two prospects? PPPSSSSHHH. If their names are Pinto and Tankersly sure. But somehow, I doubt it's those two.

Go For it. He'll add some veteran leadership. He has more major league starts all by himself than the total combined starts of our catcher, first baseman, second baseman, shortstop, right fielder, and left fielder, all put together. And he still has upside potential.

Go For it. He'll add some veteran leadership. He has more major league starts all by himself than the total combined starts of our catcher, first baseman, second baseman, shortstop, right fielder, and left fielder, all put together. And he still has upside potential.

 

It is his second year. Yeah he has started more games then the rest of the OF combined, but he is by no means a vet.

Go For it. He'll add some veteran leadership. He has more major league starts all by himself than the total combined starts of our catcher, first baseman, second baseman, shortstop, right fielder, and left fielder, all put together. And he still has upside potential.

 

It is his second year. Yeah he has started more games then the rest of the OF combined, but he is by no means a vet.

I know it's just his second year. He's a vet compared to the rest of the team. And he's started more games than the rest of outfield AND infield combined, with the exception of Cabrera.

Now we are wheeling and dealing! Although I am sure that the guy we'll end up with is Joey Gathright, I am extremely high on Willy Taveras.

 

Taveras had a hell of a start to his season last year and had a pretty good year all the way through the break. He would be a good addition to these young Marlins.

 

No reason not to be high on him.

 

 

 

Go For it. He'll add some veteran leadership. He has more major league starts all by himself than the total combined starts of our catcher, first baseman, second baseman, shortstop, right fielder, and left fielder, all put together. And he still has upside potential.

 

It is his second year. Yeah he has started more games then the rest of the OF combined, but he is by no means a vet.

I know it's just his second year. He's a vet compared to the rest of the team. And he's started more games than the rest of outfield AND infield combined, with the exception of Cabrera.

Two years doesn't make you a veteran. He's more experienced but, like someone else already said, by no means is he a veteran.

the astros have a couple of other guys they like even more that are a year or two away for center field.

 

 

god Das Biggio looks so young there

 

Who can believe Avery, Smoltz, Griffey JR and Biggio, Bagwell all came out then in that Upper deck set lol.

 

 

I remember when Avery was the big thing lol

i like Taveras i'd much rather have him than someone like Gathright. If the Devil Dogs are asking for two top tier pitching prospects they are out of their mind

Two years doesn't make you a veteran. Except in comparison to the rest of the team. At least he's played 1 whole season. He actually played 152 games in one year. We have starters that haven't played one whole inning! We have NO starters that have played anything close to even 1/2 of one season, except for Cabrera! We have some interesting prospects. But none of them have ever experienced what it's like to play the marathon of an entire 162 game season. Tavares has done this. Even though it's just one. And the starters are considered the strong point on this young team. Don't get me started on the great potential but horribly MLB inexperienced pitching and the challenge they'll face when they get extended into trying to pitch 6-7 innings....against real major leaguers....and having to throw over 100 innings in a season for the first time, against major league teams. And the pitching is most important.

Now we're talking! Taveras is a stud I rather have him on his worse day than Gathright on his best...Taveras is much better with the leather and has a infinitely better arm! Taveras is a much better hitter as well...Make it so!

 

 

Woah Woah Woah, there partner. I don't think we have seen Gathright on his best day yet. There is no doubt that Tavera's has the talent but don't judge Gathright until you have seen him play everyday for an entire season like Taveras last season. I am still gonna say that I would rather have Taveras over Gathright but only from an experience and outfield arm standpoint but I refuse to compare them as equals until they both are playing everyday at the same levels.

Tevares can be a potential all-star CF as opposed to Gathright who is struggling to retain a 5TH OF spot on a sh*tty team.

 

I'd rather see what Aguila/Reed/Abercombie than trade anything of value for Gathright. Unless this team is absolutely DYING for a pinch runner, I don't see any reason for him to be on the team even in a fair or bargain trade.

I don't like neither of the two but if I had to chose I would go with Joey Gathright based on talent, potential, tools. Now, knowing Tampa Bay they will ask for 2 top prospects, which is why I rather give Abercrombie, Reed and Aguila a shot first.

 

I agree - I'd rather go with Gathright than Tavares, and I don't like Gathright at all. I'd rather have neither and let the home grown kids have a shot than give up a high level pitching prospect for either one.

Tevares can be a potential all-star CF as opposed to Gathright who is struggling to retain a 5TH OF spot on a sh*tty team.

 

I'd rather see what Aguila/Reed/Abercombie than trade anything of value for Gathright. Unless this team is absolutely DYING for a pinch runner, I don't see any reason for him to be on the team even in a fair or bargain trade.

 

 

The Drays may be a crappy team, but you'd be a fool not to realize that they have a lot of talent offensively. its just pitching and maybe one truly great middle order presence that keeps them from being good.

Now we're talking! Taveras is a stud I rather have him on his worse day than Gathright on his best...Taveras is much better with the leather and has a infinitely better arm! Taveras is a much better hitter as well...Make it so!

 

 

Woah Woah Woah, there partner. I don't think we have seen Gathright on his best day yet. There is no doubt that Tavera's has the talent but don't judge Gathright until you have seen him play everyday for an entire season like Taveras last season. I am still gonna say that I would rather have Taveras over Gathright but only from an experience and outfield arm standpoint but I refuse to compare them as equals until they both are playing everyday at the same levels.

Gathright was the starter last year for Tampa when Baldelli got injured...so they both have had equal chances of showing their wares (Taveras was 2nd in ROY voting and Gathright...well barely started hearing about him til his name was tossed together with Scott Olsen) I just feel Taveras is a very exciting player who has more tools than Gathright. Gathright maybe faster but at this moment Taveras is by far the better player

Taveras

21, A, 397 AB, .282/.381/.350, 57 SB (82%), 52/68 BB/K, Extra base hits 17

22, AA, 409 AB, .335/.402/.386, 55 SB (83%), 38/76 BB/K, Extra base hits 16

23 MLB, 592 AB, .291/.325/.341, 34 SB (75%), 25/103 BB/K, Extra base hits 20

 

Gathright

22, A/AA, 425 AB, .334/.399/.365, 69 SB (81%), 46/69 BB/K, Extra base hits 10

23, AA/AAA/MLB, 414 AB, .321/.370/.365, 49 SB (71%), 32/90 BB/K, Extra base hits 16

24, AAA/MLB, 429 AB, .291/.350/.378, 51 SB (79%), 39/86 BB/K, Extra base hits 26

 

I like how Gathright is keeping his BB/K relatively the same through levels, his average is decent, and how he is hitting more extra base hits with less batting average. That's really showing an emergence of gap power. Also his ridiculous SB quantity and excellent percentage. I don't like how the average is declining, and wonder if he is trying to pull the ball more to get those extra base hits versus just trying to hit the ball.

 

I like Taveras' defense (which is an upgrade over Joey), and how his average and SB quantity/percentage are both pretty decent, but I don't like the substantial drop in his BB/K and zero progress in hitting for power. Unless Taveras reverses his three year trend on plate discipline, he's nothing more then a 7/8 hitter offensively, but still a good ballplayer considering the D. He's also reached the bigs full time 2 years younger then Gathright. Has more time to improve, if he's going to.

 

I think Gathright exhibits more offensive upside with BB, SLUG, and SB abilities, and should be an adequete defender even if he's not a superstar, but who knows if the whole package materializes. Likewise, if Taveras BB/K trend continues another year, he won't be a starting player and only a 5th OF for speed/defense. Youth is in his favor though. I think each player is a serious upgrade for the Marlins, but I'd be reluctant to move anything more then Johnson or Nolasco 1-1 for them. I don't know if that seals the deal for either though. I'd prefer Gathright because I'd imagine him costing 'less' based on MLB experience, and my opinion he can top out higher if everything goes right, but who knows with Tampa and their delusional kazmiritis.

 

Tevares can be a potential all-star CF as opposed to Gathright who is struggling to retain a 5TH OF spot on a sh*tty team.

 

uh, no.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.