Your take on today's game

Ramp

I was a little surprised to see there hadnt been a thread on today's game yet

*Shadez and Hammer have been so impressive with the bat so far this season

*Mitre had a rough outing but was one batter away from having a very solid outing... Khalil Greene was a man on a mission today

*The bullpen... eek... although German had another scoreless outing

*Hermida and Cabs need to help out for this offense to get on cruise control(Cabs looks like he is about to catch fire, he smoked 2 balls today)

*While Kool Aid isnt getting any base hits, atleast he isnt striking out(which I guess is a good thing)

Other stuff...

Hammer should get a legit look behind the plate, and if not, atleast let Matt Treanor get some at bats... he was very good in ST(.452 in 31 at bats)

Hammer also needs to be our cleanup hitter against righties and lefties... he is an RBI machine

add anything else you want..

I thought the ump squeezed Mitre all day.

The homerun was a flyball that the wind (wow was it windy!!!!) just took. Most days a high fly to left, end of inning.

Ramirez was spectacular.

Willingham in left needs to do alot more work defensively.

Olivo can catch for my team everyday as far as I'm concerned.

Cabrera was visibly upset when Jacobs misplayed a pop foul. He looked like he could care less at the plate and in the field.

Hammer and Hanley were amazing. Gotta love the first pitch triple. The crowd went wild. Hammer looked great expect for the two misplays.

Miguel hit the ball hard a few times. He hit one to deep center and the CF made a great catch.

Hermida, Jacobs and Abercrombie dissapointed me. Too many K's and swings and misses. It looked like Hermi lost his paitence.

Bullpen struggled alot. Too many two out rallies by the Padres. German looked good :thumbup

Great Crowd :thumbup

We finally saw a chink in Hammer's armor. He booted two balls today resulting in runs for the Padres. But I suppose that is growing pains.

Olivo's defense behind the plate continues to impress and he did a better job blocking balls today.

Another baserunning blunder by Cabrera took us out of a potential big inning, and may have cost us the game. This is the 3rd or 4th game out of 6 with baserunning blunders. Girardi and crew need to spend a few instructional hours focused just on baserunning.

Borowski is going to be another failed experiment.....like Koch, Manzanilla, or Oliver. Herges doesn't appear to be much better. Let's just can the vets and let the kids play this year.

I think this team needs to feel like they can win...a win in game 3 against the Astros would have really boosted their confidence! I think they did a great job threatening and scoring a couple more runs...

Yea, there were mistakes, but all in all, I love this team - although the record isn't good at all, this team is fun to watch, and I'd actually take this team over 2005...hear me out, lol...when I watched last year's team, I'd get really pissed off cause I knew they could do better, and they didn't hustle or show 'heart' at all...this team is the opposite, I love the desire (although lately they seem to lack, a nice kick in the ass will help em out, lol jp) they show, how they run all out even on routine ground balls! :thumbup

I'm excited about this team, and if they can stay together long enough, I feel they will grow closer and everyone will start to pick everyone else up! :D

I cant wait to go watch them in person! :D

Han and Hammer got the job done today along with quality at bats from Cabs and Hermida. Just got to the love the way they played the game.

Khalil Greene just had a great game against us and Mitre pitched well besides him. It was just one outing so I'm hoping he bounces back next start.

Bullpen has been hurting us a bit to keep us in the game as of late, but thats something that could take time.

Jacobs just is too aggressive sometimes, there have been some games where at least a SAC fly or a ground ball would get us a run, I suggest moving him down to 5th spot or maybe even 6th.

6-8 was dead today and it has been producing much this season, if that part of the order doesnt catch fire soon enough we wont be winning alot of games. Once they all hit then we can take another step forward.

Crowd looked great and was energetic, theres always tomorrow and another day we can win a ballgame.

I don't know how anyone could want a zero at the plate like Olivo in the lineup everyday. I'd even venture to say the our three 1-run losses (except maybe Oswalt's dominating performance) can be attributed to a complete lack of offense in the final 2 spots. I mean, it's not even Alex Gonzalez bad.

Still, it's early and Olivo will get many more ABs to prove he belongs, however I have no problems with giving Aguila/Treanor more starts by benching Olivo and actually playing Willy at catcher 2 times or so a week.

As for the vets in the pen, Borowski and Herges, hopefully they turn it around and eat some solid innings and build enough value to bring us some goodies at the trade deadline. It's extremely early to make any judgements on pen guys because their IP are so low.

Guest Festa

The bottom of the line-up is a blackhole so powerful not even the hardest of hits can escape it's grasp.

Most of the hitters in the line-up were taking hacks at anything to get the crowd going.

The D had it's lapses again today with Willingham dropping the flyball, Reggie throwing the ball over Olivo and Jacobs missing the foul pop.

I still believe this club is going through the 2005 A's syndrome and will play a lot better in a month and a half or two. I'm not saying they will win 80 games, but they will be a lot more fundamentally solid.

Cabrera was visibly upset when Jacobs misplayed a pop foul. He looked like he could care less at the plate and in the field.

Cabs isnt one to talk about defensive mishaps in the outfield, if he truly was upset and let it show, he really has a long way to go as far as maturity, especially if he lets it get in the way of his performance.

Today the batting continued to look good. The defense continued to look poor. The baserunning poor. I expect the team this season to be consistently inconsistent. Mitre looked like an ace his first game. Today he didn't have the movement on his pitches. Stop concentrating on wins. Look for little individual accomplishments. The 50-60 wins will come for those who look to wins only as an indication of how the team is doing and improving.

We are losing a lot of games.

Half of our team has no business at the MLB level

Other than that, I enjoyed the game was surprise to see the crowd we got

Pretty much nailed it.

We are going to have to play mistake free ball to win any games, particularly when our 6-9 portion of the lineup is hands down the worst in MLB. I mean, I like Uggla, but he'd bat 8th on any other lineup, and he's expected to actually produce in ours. Olivo/Reed/Abercrombie aren't fit to be batboys, let alone MLB regulars (at least Reed looks like a batboy). Plus, our pitching will likely be consistently inconsistent the whole year. Reality is setting in...it's going to be a tough season.

On a positive note, you gotta love the foundation being built in the 1-5 portion of the lineup. For anything horrible that can be said about the bottom of the order, the top of the order looks like it has serious -LASTING - potential. Jacobs has a sweet stroke when he connects. Willy looks like a real run producer, as well as potent offensive threat. And, what more can be said about Hanley. For a 22-year old SS, there is so much potential...I was most impressed by his 5-hit game AFTER his poor opening day. What a way to show that you can battle.

Still, a LONG way to go.

I have to agree with you FL MARLINS CA. I believe this team is ten times more exciting to watch than last years. They have great attitude and charisma, and the fact that everybody writes them off should motivate them even more. This is going to be a very dangerous team for Major League Baseball down the stretch. They just need to settle down and get things together, (espcially the pitching). GO MARLINS!

I thought the ump squeezed Mitre all day.

The homerun was a flyball that the wind (wow was it windy!!!!) just took. Most days a high fly to left, end of inning.

Ramirez was spectacular.

Willingham in left needs to do alot more work defensively.

Olivo can catch for my team everyday as far as I'm concerned.

I agree.. Umps blew some calls today! Although, I know it probably wont have changed the game but still... Also WTF was Cabrera thinking when he got double up on Jacobs mini-liner to the SS??? That changed the game right there... BS!

Guest Juanky

The Good

- Shadez continues to tear through pitchers like he's purchasing sunglasses. Hammer also seems locked in and Miguel is about to catch fire.

- Mitre pitched well today save two mistakes.....and both were to Khalil Greene. It sucks that his boxscore will read 5 ER and no QS because he doesn't deserve it.

- The young pitchers (Johnson and German) pitched well. Johnson was unlucky with the Hammer bobble in LF, if not he doesn't give up a run in my opinion. German's splitter was really diving with two K's on it and a "yay I made contact!" groundout to end the inning.

- The top of the offense, even when it's not doing something extremely amazing, it takes a ton of pitches and makes the pitcher work a ton. Williams threw close to 30 pitches just to get out of the first inning despite only one running coming across. That will work to our advantage later in the year, as we don't face many deep MR corps.

The Bad

- Girardi's handling of the vet relievers kind of bummed me out. Borowski was obviously not feeling it today, and no one even was warming until there were two runners in scoring position. Both of the vet relievers were meh today.....I hope the younger guys like Johnson, Nolasco, German, and Martinez get the bulk of the work.

- The bottom of the lineup doesn't work counts much, they need to work on that. Working counts leads to better pitches to hit which in turn leads to better hitting.

Messiah is working the count and Cabs seems to be locking in, expect a ton of runs to start coming up on the board by Thursday.

Guest FishFanInPA

as a lot of you have said...the excitement is wearing off and reality is setting in....Abercrombie/Reed don't belong in the majors....I'm just gonna enjoy Shadez and Hammer and Jake and hope that this team manages to win a couple at some point.

Guest Juanky

Another baserunning blunder by Cabrera took us out of a potential big inning, and may have cost us the game. This is the 3rd or 4th game out of 6 with baserunning blunders. Girardi and crew need to spend a few instructional hours focused just on baserunning.

This bothered me, but what bothered me was that anyone would be angry at him. What is he supposed to do? That ball was lined sharply and Khalil caught it after making a huge leap. The only way Cabs makes it back to second safely is if he never gets off the bag, because the ball was hit so hard.

as a lot of you have said...the excitement is wearing off and reality is setting in....Abercrombie/Reed don't belong in the majors....I'm just gonna enjoy Shadez and Hammer and Jake and hope that this team manages to win a couple at some point.

I agree 100%

I will focus on the promising players, but losing get old quick. I know I wont be excited if we drop to 1-10 or 4-25.