Article about the Marlins in the Chicago press

fanfish

I'm soooooo sick of reading articles like this. I only hope that it fires-up our players when they read this garbage.

Posted on Wed, Apr. 26, 2006

Marlins sure not what they used to be

BY MIKE DOWNEY

Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO - Miami's basketball team has stars. You know, the way Chicago's once did.

The names and faces are well known. Shaquille O'Neal, Gary Payton, Dwyane Wade, Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, coach Pat Riley ... stop them if you can.

Miami's baseball team is, uh, a bit different.

Dan Uggla, Alfredo Amezaga, Chris Aguila, Reggie Abercrombie, Matt Cepicky ... stop me as soon as you recognize anybody.

These are today's Florida Marlins, a team that bears little resemblance to the World Series champions of 1997 and 2003, yet a team that nevertheless beat the Cubs, 7-5, on Wednesday at Wrigley Field.

Hanley Ramirez, Mike Jacobs, Josh Willingham, Eric Reed, Franklyn German ...

Not exactly the `27 Yankees.

The only way you probably have heard of some of these Florida guys is that they used to be Cubs or White Sox. If you ever wondered whatever happened to Joe Borowski, Todd Wellemeyer, Sergio Mitre or Miguel Olivo, here they are.

Even the manager, Joe Girardi, is an old ex-Cub. So is his pitching coach, Rick Kranitz, who spent 22 years in the Cubs organization. His bullpen coach is Mike Harkey, who played five seasons for the Cubs.

Tell me, does Florida ever hire any employees who come from Florida?

I went to Tuesday night's game at Wrigley Field and sat in the stands in 35-degree temperatures, freezing my nose and toes off. Florida's pitcher in that game was Dontrelle Willis, yet another ex-Cub and probably the only Marlin I could identify without a souvenir program.

And then, in Wednesday's day game, the Marlins pitched 22-year-old left hander Scott Olsen, who, as you already may have guessed, moved to Florida from the Chicago area. He played high school ball in Crystal Lake.

Olsen was one of the thousands of people who stood in the streets outside Wrigley Field on that fateful night in October 2003, waiting for the Cubs to beat the Marlins and win the National League pennant. He was a Florida farmhand at the time.

The only time Olsen ever got to pitch against the Cubs came last July 9, but it wasn't at Wrigley. That game was played in the Marlins' park, and you know what that means. It was two-thirds empty.

Wednesday, however, he worked before a full house. And he did well, allowing the Cubs only one hit. The victory went to Ricky Nolasco, who is_here's a shock_an ex-Cub.

But this game between the no-name Marlins and the cut-and-paste Cubs, who are trying to improvise and keep things together in the absence of Derrek Lee, would have been an excellent one for 39,611 fans to miss.

It was 3 1/2 hours of interminable, abominable baseball. The pitchers combined for 14 walks, two hit batters, two wild pitches and a balk. They threw a ridiculous 343 pitches in a nine-inning game, some of which actually crossed home plate.

Two runs scored on an overthrow. Two outfielders let a routine fly ball drop between them. Another outfielder lost one in the sun. Well, you know how that blinding that sunshine can be here in tropical Chicago.

A couple of Cubs right fielders had a frustrating day. If it isn't the fans behind their backs bothering them, it's the sun in their faces.

All in all, it was a forgettable day of baseball. And a wasted opportunity for the Cubs, who, even while shorthanded, ought to be able to dominate this bunch of Class AAA minor leaguers masquerading as Marlins.

Unfortunately for the Cubs, they have spent the past 48 hours using guys of their own with careers in their infancy. Sean Marshall pitched superbly Tuesday and then the long-awaited Angel Guzman, whose shoulder has been killing him for three years, made his first start Wednesday.

Guzman's glass was half-full. He got out of some jams and looked OK, but he also was nervous and all over the map with his pitches. He deserves a few more looks before he's traded to Florida.

Meanwhile, the Cubs will make do. Juan Pierre hasn't yet found his batting eye, Aramis Ramirez is barely above .200 (and not seeing many good pitches to hit) and Jacque Jones is barely hitting his weight.

If catcher Michael Barrett's hand continues to hurt, the Cubs will be left with 1-for-the-season Henry Blanco in the batting order. Good glove, good arm, but this team might need to win a few ball games 1-0 or 2-1.

I am pretty sure the Cubs will have more a lot more fun in the sun this year than Miami's baseball team will. It's too bad I can't picture our other team beating the Heat.

I dont understand why the big fuss about it. Face it, its true the marlins have a bunch of no name rookies and thats it, get over it. They dont perform at the level of other teams due to lack of experience, skill and probably being nervous ... the guy is only speaking the truth. Actually I found it to be quite funny that half of the players in the marlins team come from the cubs organization.

I dont understand why the big fuss about it. Face it, its true the marlins have a bunch of no name rookies and thats it, get over it. They dont perform at the level of other teams due to lack of experience, skill and probably being nervous ... the guy is only speaking the truth. Actually I found it to be quite funny that half of the players in the marlins team come from the cubs organization.

Agreed. People who arent marlins fans, dont know any of our players. That will change in a few years...

This guy makes such a big deal about the Marlin players who used to be Cub's or associated with the city of Chicago. Someone write this guy and let him know that the best player on their team (although injured) was a Marlin, their leadoff hitter was a Marlin, John Mabry a Marlin, Ryan Dempster a Marlin, their pitching coach Admin Rothschild was a Marlin coach too. And they've had plenty of people with ties to South Florida and the Marlins on their roster in the past. What a douche this guy..seems like somebody is still just a tad bit bitter about 2003...lol

This guy makes such a big deal about the Marlin players who used to be Cub's or associated with the city of Chicago. Someone write this guy and let him know that the best player on their team (although injured) was a Marlin, their leadoff hitter was a Marlin, John Mabry a Marlin, Ryan Dempster a Marlin, their pitching coach Admin Rothschild was a Marlin coach too. And they've had plenty of people with ties to South Florida and the Marlins on their roster in the past. What a douche this guy..seems like somebody is still just a tad bit bitter about 2003...lol

the point of the article was to say that guys like that arent on our team anymore .. :whistle

I don't care about the bashing. But the guy has no skill whatsoever. It is shocking that the editor allowed such a piece of crap article to be published

*We* have read this article about a million times. People in Chicago have not. I thought the guy did a good job of making it entertaining, and I'm confident that sentiment is shared by the intended audience (as in Cubs fans and baseball fans in general, not short-fused, thick-headed fans with an everything-you-say-is-insulting-to-me complex).

The only part of that article that irritates me is his attitude of everything centering around Chicago. The way things are these days in terms of players moving around a bunch, it's easy to say that someone's whole team came from some city/team.

Yeah those guys aren't on our team anymore, but even with those guys, the Cubs won't win anything. And with the guys we've gotten from them, we might make another run before they do.

The only part of that article that irritates me is his attitude of everything centering around Chicago. The way things are these days in terms of players moving around a bunch, it's easy to say that someone's whole team came from some city/team.

Yeah those guys aren't on our team anymore, but even with those guys, the Cubs won't win anything. And with the guys we've gotten from them, we might make another run before they do.

That's the b*tch for Cubs fans. Their team will fail again and again and all the name-calling and ridicule in the world won't change that. It must be frustrating for the Tribune company to watch year after year as their prized possession underachieves with a precision of fine swiss timepiece.

Marlins Authentic Jersey- $180.00

4 Upper Deck Tickets to Marlins vs Giants Game 4 2003 playoff game, 4 hot dogs and 16 draft beers- $160.00

The look on Moises Alou's face when a fan reached for a ball that any baseball fan would have reached for- PRICELESS

For those of you who don't live in/near Chicago let me educate you on Chicago sports journalists:

Chicago thinks any team bearing the city's name is the best team in the universe. If you want any evidence just listen to how badly the Comcast commentators in Chicago bash The Heat during the playoff series. Mind you, a Heat team filled with stars that has the #2 seed in the playoffs playing against a bunch of early draft entries.

This article is no suprise to me. The Cubs go 97 years without a world series win, their two "star" pitchers have made a home on the DL, and their "MVP" is now on the DL. Cubs fans are full of excuses of why their team, although lacking in performance, is still the best team in the land. The Cubs have had Prior, Wood and Lee for almost 3 years and have yet to even make the playoffs. Somehow they are this "incredibly talented team". Notice that the writer is making excuses for his own players.

Look, no matter how badly you beat the Cubs, no matter how many games they are below .500, no matter how pathetic the quality of baseball their team plays they will always consider their team the best team in the world. I've expirenced this more times than I wish to recount.

What this writer, and every Cubs fan in the Chicagoland area fails to realize is that this "AAA" team should have won that series. If it weren't for poor bullpen play that has plagued The Marlins all season, and will continue to plague them until September, the Marlins would have left Chicago taking 2 of 3 from these "playoff contending Cubs". Lee is only one player. Prior is only going to play every 5 days. Wood will be lucky to be a starter for more than 2 weeks. The only bright spot on that team is a 41 year old pitcher which is sad considering all this "pitching talent" they have in the farm.

You guys are bashing on this journalist. Don't. I garuntee you he is just putting the feelings of millions of Cubs fans in writing. And you all wonder why I have such deep disdain for The Cubs and their ENTIRE fanbase. Trust me, this article is NOTHING with what I put up with on a daily basis.

I'm confident that sentiment is shared by the intended audience (as in Cubs fans and baseball fans in general, not short-fused, thick-headed fans with an everything-you-say-is-insulting-to-me complex).

And is there something wrong with that. Just the true Marlin fans here defending our turf and "family". While the author is surprised his cubbies didnt sweep, the real fact is the cub complex that they could just as easily been swept by the AAA Marlins-and that these fish may well be in the Series again while the cubs won't. There is such a thing as the "cub factor".

It is always easy when other writers and fans want a superiority boost, they make fun of attendance here. Great, I say, you can win the attendance award-just keep wishing for a series title.

Hey, except for the 8th inning on Monday, the cubs had as many hits in 3 games as most teams get in one. So, I think Downey should be most concerned about his team's chances instead of ripping others.

There is such a thing as the "cub factor".

It's a scientific fact that ex-Cubs play better when they leave the Cub organization. Maddux, Willis, Grez etc. Yes, Sosa and Alou were omited from this scientific study due to performance enhancing drugs and age.

Wow. An article written by a bitter Cubs fan.

Thats the only kind.

why the f*** did I read that? That was the most retarded, unknowledgable articles ever. What a god damn idiot! I would love to punch that a**hole right in the face :plain

Buddy, I have that thought every day. Welcome to my hell. The hell of living with Cubs fans.

Man I love this Cub/Chicago hating. I do it with my Cardinal fan friends, but I love to see Marlins nation finally share in my pain. :D

That's the b*tch for Cubs fans. Their team will fail again and again and all the name-calling and ridicule in the world won't change that. It must be frustrating for the Tribune company to watch year after year as their prized possession underachieves with a precision of fine swiss timepiece.

you should e-mail that to Downey

It really must irk these retard writers from Chicaca that the cubbies havent won anything and wont win a damn thing any time soon(at least this year). especially seeing all their future talent making a go at the majors for another team(namely the Marlins) must suck, oh well... maybe in another 100 years they might snag another Dontrelle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.