Vargas recalled, Pinto demoted

ultimopain

Even though Pinto immediately gave up four, seventh-inning runs, he received his first career save by completing the final three innings. His next one won't come for a while. After the game, the Marlins optioned Pinto to Triple A Albuquerque (N.M.) and recalled left-handed pitcher Jason Vargas from the Isotopes.

Source: Miami Herald

I guess with the double header coming up Joe wants a fresh long reliever... well I hope so anyway, I hope he doesn't start. I just really hope he's recovered from his injury and has improved from the start of the year, because early on he was pretty ordinary.

welcome back Crow, even if it's for just one game. Maybe if he shows the poise and control he showed last year he'll stick around again.

I wish for anyone on the team to do well and stick around. Just don't know if Vargas has the tools at this level. His "stuff" was figured out so once hitters stopped chasing the change up, his fastball was service on a silver platter. Pinto showed some zip, maybe this is short term for the weekend, maybe they liked Pinto but need him to really work hard on his control. He was all over the place-fearful for the batter not knowing where that 93-94 pitch would go.

I dont think Vargas was 'figured out'. The problem is that he doesn't have overpowering stuff, and since he kept falling behind in the counts he couldnt use his changeup effectively. Control was his problem this year. Fell behind in too many counts and then served up an average fastball right over the plate. Pitchers whose best pitch is the change need to throw strikes with the fastball early in the count to set up the changeup.

I dont think Vargas was 'figured out'. The problem is that he doesn't have overpowering stuff, and since he kept falling behind in the counts he couldnt use his changeup effectively. Control was his problem this year. Fell behind in too many counts and then served up an average fastball right over the plate. Pitchers whose best pitch is the change need to throw strikes with the fastball early in the count to set up the changeup.

There's been many, many pitchers who succeeded in the bigs with less stuff than Vargas.

His problem has been location, which usually means mechanics. If he fixes that as LOC comments on above, I don't see why he can't be a big league pitcher for years to come.

despite JV's struggles early this year, I "like" him and always have, and I think he deserves another shot up here...let's not forget he was supposed to be one of the leaders of this new youth movement down here...if he were to become effective again, it's another asset to our young core...besides, his picture has been printed on some of the tickets so get used to him! :mischief

Vargas is up to provide another reliever capable of pitching multiple innings, as we have another DH coming up.

In the long term I think Vargas' future is as a reliever/spot starter, so hopefully he can pitch well if called upon in the Mets series.

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...showtopic=63828

i guess Vargas is starting game 2 of the DH.

except on that list, Willis was supposed to pitch yesterday

so is dontrelle pitching tomorrow and JJ and Nolasco are getting the DH?

i have no idea whats going on.

it sounds like sanchez is pitching the first game of the DH and vargas gets the second

what? Sanchez is pitching today

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...showtopic=63828

i guess Vargas is starting game 2 of the DH.

except on that list, Willis was supposed to pitch yesterday

so is dontrelle pitching tomorrow and JJ and Nolasco are getting the DH?

i have no idea whats going on.

yes

it's dontrelle friday, johnson/nolasco saturday, and olsen sunday

sounds good to me.

Looks like they "figured" him out. No control, wait him out and then jump on his less than overpowering fastball. What else does "figuring out" someone means. You see what he has, what he does and then you adjust or figure out what to do against him. Now, if Jason can "figure out"how to fix his control and use his pitches to his advantage, then he may be able to adjust to what the hitters are doing against him.

We all know, especially with young players, that the ones who succeed, with the exception of the unique talented ones, are the ones who make the adjustments. Me thinks we are just disagreeing on semantics. Regardless, hope Jason kicks ass and helps the team.