August 1, 200620 yr The NL wild card leading Reds are only 5 games over .500 but all the "experts" are saying that traditionally, to win the wild card will probably take about 86 wins ( ten games over .500). For the Marlins that would be a gargantuan task. We are 49-56 with 57 games left to play, we would have to win 37 more games. That translates into a .649 winning percentage that we would need to have for the rest of the year to be 10 games over .500 at the end of the season. That, to me, is not very realistic. To be 5 games over .500 at the end of the season we would have to have a winning percentage of .596 the rest of the way. To be at .500 we would need a .561 clip. There you have it. Doesn't look too pretty but it doesn't hurt to hope. Who knows? A good 6-7 game winning streak will certainly help! Whatever happens, I could not be happier with our team this year. I never thought for a moment that I would be writing "wild card" and "Marlins" in the same post this late into the season! Lets savor the moment and hopefully with a new stadium deal done soon, we will be mentioning "Florida Marlins" and "playoff" in many Octobers in the near future.
August 1, 200620 yr I am not keeping my hopes up but anything can happen. The Reds can go on a mini losing streak (3/4 games) and the Marlins can go on a mini win streak (3/4 games) and we are right back in it. This is very realistic so who knows.
August 1, 200620 yr What it will take is another streak. It's going to mean sweeping some teams. A 7 or 8 game streak would put us right there. 9 of 10, 10 of 12... whatever. Teams just don't win 9 of 10 very often, or 8 straight, or whatever. They go 5-5, 6-4, 7-3. Let's say you have a 6-game road trip followed by a 7 game homestand. You go 3-3 on the road & then 4-2 at home. Well that seems fine & all, but what you've done is taken 12 whole games, nearly a half month of the schedule, and only moved 2 games closer to .500, much less gained any ground on a divison/wild card leader who is already likely to be playing better than .500 baseball. You have to make severe moves upward. Like I said, 8 of 10, 6 of 7. Because some let-downs like last weekend are bound to happen and you can't win every single series.
August 1, 200620 yr The way I look at it is a "good" team can most likely be counted on to make up one game in the standings per week. We're getting near to crunch time, it's not impossible, but it's improbable.
August 1, 200620 yr Lets try to win this series against the Mutts and then we'll see what happens the rest of the way. I thought we should've made up ground in Philly after beating the Braves but we only took a step back, even if our record is still the same as the one we began with when the road trip started.
August 1, 200620 yr Look at it this was. If the Jays still have a chance to pass the yanks even though theyre 6 1/2 games back. Then we definetly have a chance to pass the Reds when we're 6 GB
August 1, 200620 yr the last series hurt us i remember the player saying that those game were most win but marlins did not show up. playing 5 game series was going to be hard one it was
August 1, 200620 yr Were dead in the water after the doubleheader sweep in Philly. We needed a minimum of 3 games there. Very sad. But very true. Lets smoke the Mets though just to stick it to all their fans at the stadium. :cool
August 1, 200620 yr Were dead in the water after the doubleheader sweep in Philly. We needed a minimum of 3 games there. Very sad. But very true. Lets smoke the Mets though just to stick it to all their fans at the stadium. :cool Ya, almost 60 games left and we're dead in the water. All we have to do is make up 1 game for every 10 we play. That's IMPOSSIBLEISMMMMMMMMMMMMMMS
August 1, 200620 yr Were dead in the water after the doubleheader sweep in Philly. We needed a minimum of 3 games there. Very sad. But very true. Lets smoke the Mets though just to stick it to all their fans at the stadium. :cool Ya, almost 60 games left and we're dead in the water. All we have to do is make up 1 game for every 10 we play. That's IMPOSSIBLEISMMMMMMMMMMMMMMS I agree with your first sentence Homer.
August 1, 200620 yr Were dead in the water after the doubleheader sweep in Philly. We needed a minimum of 3 games there. Very sad. But very true. Lets smoke the Mets though just to stick it to all their fans at the stadium. :cool Ya, almost 60 games left and we're dead in the water. All we have to do is make up 1 game for every 10 we play. That's IMPOSSIBLEISMMMMMMMMMMMMMMS Actually, there is 57 games left counting tonight's game. There's still much baseball left, so maybe I'm in the minority here, but I still think there is a chance to take the WC.
August 1, 200620 yr Were dead in the water after the doubleheader sweep in Philly. We needed a minimum of 3 games there. Very sad. But very true. Lets smoke the Mets though just to stick it to all their fans at the stadium. :cool Ya, almost 60 games left and we're dead in the water. All we have to do is make up 1 game for every 10 we play. That's IMPOSSIBLEISMMMMMMMMMMMMMMS Actually, there is 57 games left counting tonight's game. There's still much baseball left, so maybe I'm in the minority here, but I still think there is a chance to take the WC. rEADING, FUNDIMENTLE.
August 1, 200620 yr Were dead in the water after the doubleheader sweep in Philly. We needed a minimum of 3 games there. Very sad. But very true. Lets smoke the Mets though just to stick it to all their fans at the stadium. :cool Ya, almost 60 games left and we're dead in the water. All we have to do is make up 1 game for every 10 we play. That's IMPOSSIBLEISMMMMMMMMMMMMMMS Actually, there is 57 games left counting tonight's game. There's still much baseball left, so maybe I'm in the minority here, but I still think there is a chance to take the WC. rEADING, FUNDIMENTLE. That comment wasn't for you, only the part in which I clarify how many games are left. This comment was intended for those who are giving up on our team so early. I know our chances aren't that big, but c'mon there is still hope. :hat
August 1, 200620 yr Were dead in the water after the doubleheader sweep in Philly. We needed a minimum of 3 games there. Very sad. But very true. Lets smoke the Mets though just to stick it to all their fans at the stadium. :cool Ya, almost 60 games left and we're dead in the water. All we have to do is make up 1 game for every 10 we play. That's IMPOSSIBLEISMMMMMMMMMMMMMMS Actually, there is 57 games left counting tonight's game. There's still much baseball left, so maybe I'm in the minority here, but I still think there is a chance to take the WC. rEADING, FUNDIMENTLE. That comment wasn't for you, only the part in which I clarify how many games are left. This comment was intended for those who are giving up on our team so early. I know our chances aren't that big, but c'mon there is still hope. :hat shut your hole wang chung.
August 1, 200620 yr Were dead in the water after the doubleheader sweep in Philly. We needed a minimum of 3 games there. Very sad. But very true. Lets smoke the Mets though just to stick it to all their fans at the stadium. :cool Ya, almost 60 games left and we're dead in the water. All we have to do is make up 1 game for every 10 we play. That's IMPOSSIBLEISMMMMMMMMMMMMMMS Actually, there is 57 games left counting tonight's game. There's still much baseball left, so maybe I'm in the minority here, but I still think there is a chance to take the WC. rEADING, FUNDIMENTLE. That comment wasn't for you, only the part in which I clarify how many games are left. This comment was intended for those who are giving up on our team so early. I know our chances aren't that big, but c'mon there is still hope. :hat shut your hole wang chung. Pathetic :thumbdown
August 1, 200620 yr Giving up on our team? Are you for real dude? I actually loved our chances pre-Philly. In my eyes if we added a CF and took at least 3 against the Phillies, we were gonna be on track. We obviously have a small shot at making a HUGE run and grabbing the WC but Im not gonna be a stooge and say we have a good chance of doing it.
August 1, 200620 yr Giving up on our team? Are you for real dude? I actually loved our chances pre-Philly. In my eyes if we added a CF and took at least 3 against the Phillies, we were gonna be on track. We obviously have a small shot at making a HUGE run and grabbing the WC but Im not gonna be a stooge and say we have a good chance of doing it. I know our team dug themselves into a deeper hole losing 3 out of 5 against the Phillies, but the fact is that the season is not over and I don't expect the Reds to win it.
August 2, 200620 yr Giving up on our team? Are you for real dude? I actually loved our chances pre-Philly. In my eyes if we added a CF and took at least 3 against the Phillies, we were gonna be on track. We obviously have a small shot at making a HUGE run and grabbing the WC but Im not gonna be a stooge and say we have a good chance of doing it. I know our team dug themselves into a deeper hole losing 3 out of 5 against the Phillies, but the fact is that the season is not over and I don't expect the Reds to win it. Looking at the standing now compared to where we were just prior to the Philly series things don't look any worse. The positive numbers are the games we've lost in the standings vs each team and negative numbers are games we've made up in the standings vs each team. Prior to the Phillies series the teams ahead of the WC pack were the Reds, DBacks and Giants and we've made up ground on two of them, making up a combined 3 games on them. Arizona 0.5 Atlanta (1.0) Cincinnati (1.0) Colorado 0.5 Houston - LA Dodgers 2.0 Milwaukee 0.5 Philadelphia 1.0 San Francisco (2.5)
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.