NL MVP

Lefty

Dan (Philadelphia): Who's your NL MVP at the moment?

SportsNation Joe Morgan: I would have to wait until who's in the playoffs. But at this point, I would go Howard, Beltran, Wright, Reyes, but Albert Pujols has to be in there some place too. But at this point, that's how I see it. If the Phillies get in the playoffs, I think Howard has a good chance of winning. If not, Beltran and Wright have a chance, with Reyes moving up quickly. That said, Pujols is the most valuable to his team.

I wish there was an emoticon for quivering lip followed by hilarity and laughter.

If it doesn't have a Marlin in it it's no good!

Pujols, Beltran, Howard...all are fine.

But you can't have two players who play the same position in the same league and division have one player LEAD IN EVERY QUANTIFIABLE STATISTIC ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL and not be mentioned in favor of the inferior.

The Marlins are still a sub .500 team and if the season ended today they wouldn't be in the playoffs thats where the reasoning comes from imo.

I don't think Morgan even has a MVP vote so no use going crazy over yet another ESPN blurb.

Since when does the Most Valuable Player exclusively mean best player on the best team? And your point about the Marlins is asinine. They are the second hottest team in the national league since May 21 with no small thanks to Miguel Cabrera. And yet, you consider the Phils, a mere game over .500 and Ryan Howard legimate? Thats just downright sillyness.

Thats not to say Ryan Howard isn't because I would have no problem with the way he has been playing if he won the MVP. But geezus, there are sometimes legimate reasons why we are upset with certain lists. Not because we all view things through teal shaded glasses. :thumbup

I never in this thread said the MVP was exclusive to the best player on the best team or anything close to that but if that's what you need to put in your comment to vent frustration/make a point then so be it.

How exactly can you refute the point that the Marlins are sub .500 and would not make the playoffs as of today? I didn't imply anything else nor am I saying they will or won't (Besides the Dodgers the Fish are who I'd root for in the NL).

The reason Howard is easily a lock for the top 5 is because he is having an astronomical year which trumps his team's status (Think A-Rod in '03, Admin Walker in '97, etc.). BTW, I didn't even bring up a player in this discussion you did.

I never said Cabrera shouldn't be in the top 5, discussion, or deemed the winner just trying to offer up a different perspective/the reasoning behind his statement.

If it doesn't have a Marlin in it it's no good!

Pujols, Beltran, Howard...all are fine.

But you can't have two players who play the same position in the same league and division have one player LEAD IN EVERY QUANTIFIABLE STATISTIC ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL and not be mentioned in favor of the inferior.

I completely agree. Wright hasn't done much since the All-Star break. As far as value to a team, I just can't think of anyone more important than Cabs has been for the Marlins. I'll say this: If Miguel puts up the same numbers in Sept. that he did in August, and the Marlins make the WC, he wins MVP.

For fun, let's pull up the stats of Cabs and Wright post All-Star game:

Cabs:

BA: .343

Hits: 57

2B: 19

3B: 1

HR: 8

RBI: 37

BB: 18

SO: 30

OBP: .417

SLG: .614

OPS: 1.031

Wright:

BA: .262

Hits: 39

2B: 10

3B: 1

HR: 3

RBI: 27

BB: 18

SO: 33

OPB: .345

SLG: .403

OPS: .748

:whistle

Howard, Pujols, and Beltran are givens.

Reyes deserves to be up there as he is having a season statistically that has only been seen once in modern baseball. 20 homers, 70 SBs, 300 AVG, and 80+ RBIs is easily obtainable for him at this point (and probably easily exceeded).

Wright, for all his work ethic and great attitude, is not an MVP candidate at this point.

Reyes deserves to be up there as he is having a season statistically that has only been seen once in modern baseball. 20 homers, 70 SBs, 300 AVG, and 80+ RBIs is easily obtainable for him at this point (and probably easily exceeded).

Wright, for all his work ethic and great attitude, is not an MVP candidate at this point.

This might be a tough question to answer but I am very curious and haven't had the chance to ask a Met fan. Who do you feel is the most important player in the Met's lineup?

This might be a tough question to answer but I am very curious and haven't had the chance to ask a Met fan. Who do you feel is the most important player in the Met's lineup?

Everything is a function of Reyes getting on base. There's no question in my mind it is Jose Reyes.

Dan (Philadelphia): Who's your NL MVP at the moment?

SportsNation Joe Morgan: I would have to wait until who's in the playoffs. But at this point, I would go Howard, Beltran, Wright, Reyes, but Albert Pujols has to be in there some place too. But at this point, that's how I see it. If the Phillies get in the playoffs, I think Howard has a good chance of winning. If not, Beltran and Wright have a chance, with Reyes moving up quickly. That said, Pujols is the most valuable to his team.

Same can be applied to Cabs if the Marlins get to the postseason. Pure hatred if you ask me by this guy. Without Cabs our team would not be competing for the WC so that makes him more valuable than Reyes and Wright.

Everything is a function of Reyes getting on base. There's no question in my mind it is Jose Reyes. I thought you would say that and I agree 100%. That kid makes the team go. Even though his stats aren't up there with Beltran I would give the nod to Reyes. That's if I had to choose out of the few Met candidates.

Joe Morgan was a great player in his day, but the guy has no business being around the game and giving opinions on anything. Personally, if I were gonna make an NL MVP list it'd go:

1. Howard

2. Reyes

3. Cabrera

4. Beltran

5. Pujols

Everything is a function of Reyes getting on base. There's no question in my mind it is Jose Reyes.

Of the league? No way.

But of the team? Absolutely 100%.