Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sources: Girardi to be let go on Tuesday

Featured Replies

it's actually all about the players, which is why all this slobbering for Girardi's contributions confuses me. but ok...maybe your handle could become Cubbies Giants?

it's actually all about the players, which is why all this slobbering for Girardi's contributions confuses me. but ok...maybe your handle could become Cubbies Giants?

 

 

OK right.. So by saying he lacks the interpersonal skills to deal with people above the chain of command, you meant the players... Right, silly me.. Sorry for not catching that. I'm the idiot that read dozens of player quotes, saying that they love Girardi and hope to see him back next year. But I guess I should have interpreted that in your previous post. My apologies..

ESPN

Updated: Oct. 1, 2006, 9:22 PM ET

Report: Marlins to dismiss Girardi, name successor

ESPN.com news services

 

 

Despite a season that far exceeded expectations, the Florida Marlins will move quickly this week to dismiss manager Joe Girardi and name a successor, a source familiar with the Marlins situation told ESPN Insider's Jerry Crasnick.

 

According to the source, the chances are "99 out of 100" that Girardi's replacement will be Braves third-base coach Fredi Gonzalez.

 

Girardi's firing could come at a Tuesday morning meeting with Marlins management, according to a report on MLB.com.

 

One reason the Marlins want to act quickly on naming Girardi's successor? The Nationals. Former Atlanta executive Stan Kasten, now president of the Nats, is looking for a replacement for manager Frank Robinson and is expected to consider hiring Gonzalez.

 

Girardi has said repeatedly over the last several weeks that he still hopes to fulfill the full terms of the three-year contract he signed before the season.

 

"I came here to do a job," he said last week. "I love what these kids have accomplished, and I'd like to see it through."

 

Players have also taken a liking to Girardi and his managerial style.

 

"This has been one of the most fun years I've ever had at the major league level," reliever Matt Herges, at 36 the Marlins' oldest player, said last week. "The coaching staff has been incredible -- in a good way. I'll look back on this year fondly for the rest of my life."

 

Girardi, who won three World Series rings as a catcher for the New York Yankees, is considered a strong candidate for NL manager of the year. With the lowest payroll in the major leagues, the Marlins were widely projected to lose more than 100 games. They started 11-31, then became the first club in major league history to climb above .500 after being 20 games under. After a late slide, the club finished at 78-84.

 

Girardi's job security has been questioned because of a strained relationship with owner Jeffrey Loria. A much-publicized rift between the men erupted at a game Aug. 6, when Loria berated an umpire while sitting behind the plate. From the dugout, Girardi told or asked the owner to stop, witnesses said. Loria angrily left his seat and confronted Girardi after the game during a 90-minute clubhouse meeting.

 

Loria wouldn't endorse Girardi when he finally addressed the matter three weeks later.

 

On Sunday, Marlins general manager Admin Beinfest was complimentary of the team's play this year, but did not specifically endorse Girardi.

 

"I think this team was prepared to play," Beinfest said. "They played hard every day. I think there was a winning attitude instilled here, and this team won a lot of games.

 

"I think Joe and his staff deserve a lot of credit for that. I would have to say, as far as the game managing, I thought it was good. Joe's a rookie and there can always be rookie mistakes. There can always be Monday-morning quarterbacking, but I think he did a good job."

 

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

While I don't agree with the Girardi ouster, I am glad to see the Marlins are going about this the "right" way. That is, they are moving quickly to insure they get their man, Fredi Gonzalez, instead of dragging their feet trying to negotiate some trade of Girardi to a club for a prospect or two.

 

There are too many clubs looking to hire managers right now to let Gonzalez just sit out there hoping the Marlins will hire him once they got around to working out some kind of foolish Girardi trade.

I was one who wanted Fredi, but after seeing what I've seen over the course of this season, I would rather stick with the devil I know than the devil I dont. It always seems people bitch about a manager more often than not. It remains to be seen what Fredi Gonzalez or anyone else will do once they grab hold of the job. Many times over the course of the season I've disagreed with some of Girardi's in-game moves but his job isnt just based on that. The reports which say Girardi had a strained relationship with the FO may very well be true, but I would rather there be a strained relationship between them than between Girardi and the players. How you handle and treat your players is important as well because although they may be professionals, they're still human, and THEY are the ones that go out and perform. And seemingly from most of their accounts, he has done a great job at handling them (cant say that for John Gibbons).

I can't wait for next year Gonzalez turn out to be a worst game play manager then Girardi while the Cubs play winning ball in the Central.

I can't wait for next year Gonzalez turn out to be a worst game play manager then Girardi while the Cubs play winning ball in the Central.

 

That's the spirit!

I can't wait for next year Gonzalez turn out to be a worst game play manager then Girardi while the Cubs play winning ball in the Central.

 

Assuming Girardi were to end up in Chi-town, whatever 4 guys they send out behind Zambrano are not going to turn into JJ, Olsen, Noalsco, & Sanchez. Sorry. I like what Girardi did for the team, but there was talent here, it's not the same thing as dealing with the worst team in the league. Seriously, the manager only does so much. Or do you think Joe Torre would have still a fistful of rings if he had been coaching the Royals instead of the Yankees all these years?

it's actually all about the players, which is why all this slobbering for Girardi's contributions confuses me. but ok...maybe your handle could become Cubbies Giants?

 

 

OK right.. So by saying he lacks the interpersonal skills to deal with people above the chain of command, you meant the players... Right, silly me.. Sorry for not catching that. I'm the idiot that read dozens of player quotes, saying that they love Girardi and hope to see him back next year. But I guess I should have interpreted that in your previous post. My apologies..

I know you're not this dumb. maybe...? It's pretty obvious that above Girardi is the FO within the chain of command. I think he did great with the players and OK in-game management (save for some choice beefs I have). Point is I'm not nearly as invested with Girardi as I am with the players, therefore Im not all broken up to see him go.

 

what are the players suppose to say? These are rookies just earning their keep...if they're smart they say the right things to the media. You're right that we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but things must have been terrible for this sort of situation to arrive. Oh well, he's gone. I wish him luck and success.

I can't wait for next year Gonzalez turn out to be a worst game play manager then Girardi while the Cubs play winning ball in the Central.

 

 

 

I am so glad you said that. If you liked Fredi, I would be worried.

I can't wait for next year Gonzalez turn out to be a worst game play manager then Girardi while the Cubs play winning ball in the Central.

 

Assuming Girardi were to end up in Chi-town, whatever 4 guys they send out behind Zambrano are not going to turn into JJ, Olsen, Noalsco, & Sanchez. Sorry. I like what Girardi did for the team, but there was talent here, it's not the same thing as dealing with the worst team in the league. Seriously, the manager only does so much. Or do you think Joe Torre would have still a fistful of rings if he had been coaching the Royals instead of the Yankees all these years?

 

One thing is certain, if Girardi ends up managing the Cubs he will not mishandle younger players like the infamous Dusty Baker. He also seems to be a better leader, coach and, yes, even in-game manager than Baker. I wouldn't expect any miracles, but an improvement next season? Definitely.

Oh, i see, but i wonder why Loria and Samson would observe any religious holiday since

they both know they are going to hell. :mischief2

 

 

:lol

very much agree. we'll soon see how overrated girardi's reputation with the players was...

 

 

That's irrelevant to me... Girardi did a great job and he deserves to be here next year.

he did a great job of alienating everyone important and being in the right place at the right time. other than that I wish him luck with the Cubbies

 

I doubt the Cubbies. I'm thinking the Nats.

very much agree. we'll soon see how overrated girardi's reputation with the players was...

 

 

That's irrelevant to me... Girardi did a great job and he deserves to be here next year.

he did a great job of alienating everyone important and being in the right place at the right time. other than that I wish him luck with the Cubbies

 

 

 

"alienating everyone important" :blink:

 

 

please defend that.

if you don't know of the people Im talking about it would be a waste of time.

 

 

 

No your not getting off the hook that easy.

 

 

 

Girardi got hired to MANAGE the ballclub. Tell me who he alienated.

This whole mess is really very simple.

 

You disagree repeatedly with the boss, specially in public.......you get fired. Period, end of story.

very much agree. we'll soon see how overrated girardi's reputation with the players was...

 

 

That's irrelevant to me... Girardi did a great job and he deserves to be here next year.

he did a great job of alienating everyone important and being in the right place at the right time. other than that I wish him luck with the Cubbies

 

I doubt the Cubbies. I'm thinking the Nats.

If he does leave, I am hoping the same, the Nats have rebuilt like crazy and after improving their scouting, all thats left is a great manager to give them attitude.

I would really hate for all this drama to cause any more problems for the team.

 

 

it's going to. all the players (supposedly) like girardi.

you couldnt be more wrong

:devil :evil :magic :guillotine :hanged :no

Sampson Loria Beinfest Girardi 3rd Base Coach Olsen

 

You gotta love smiley :)

 

This post makes about as much sense as using Logan Kensing as a pinch runner.

  • Author

I can't wait for next year Gonzalez turn out to be a worst game play manager then Girardi while the Cubs play winning ball in the Central.

 

Assuming Girardi were to end up in Chi-town, whatever 4 guys they send out behind Zambrano are not going to turn into JJ, Olsen, Noalsco, & Sanchez. Sorry. I like what Girardi did for the team, but there was talent here, it's not the same thing as dealing with the worst team in the league. Seriously, the manager only does so much. Or do you think Joe Torre would have still a fistful of rings if he had been coaching the Royals instead of the Yankees all these years?

 

One thing is certain, if Girardi ends up managing the Cubs he will not mishandle younger players like the infamous Dusty Baker. He also seems to be a better leader, coach and, yes, even in-game manager than Baker. I wouldn't expect any miracles, but an improvement next season? Definitely.

 

Wasn't Dusty Baker some sort of genius when the Cubs hired him coming off a World Series appearence in 2002? Wasn't he considered one of the best in the game when he had a healthy Wood and Prior and were 5 outs from the World Series in 2003? Now all of a sudden he has his 2 best pitchers hurt, an injured D-Lee and he is worse than Girardi in every aspect of the game. I'm no fan of Dusty's either, but it just proves how little difference one qualified manager is from the next.

:devil :evil :magic :guillotine :hanged :no

Sampson Loria Beinfest Girardi 3rd Base Coach Olsen

 

You gotta love smiley :)

 

This post makes about as much sense as using Logan Kensing as a pinch runner.

:|

Exactly.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.