Shannon Stewart wants us...

Stag5

Miami Herald

? Free agent Shannon Stewart, a Miami Southridge High alum, has reached out to the Marlins, but Florida has serious concerns about his foot injury, which could restrict his ability to play the outfield.

Don't see an upside here since at best the role is one of a reserve player. As limited as Cody Ross and/or Joe Borchard may be there is upside due to age. Stewart has never come off the bench and his age and legs work against him.

Guest FishFanInPA

if they pass up a guy who wants to play for us and will prolly play for cheap, then this FO is a joke...He's a good player and will improve the position....heck even injured he's better then our current healthy CF's!!!

Yes Yes Yes! We want Shannon Stewart, I've followed this guy for years, he's always been a team player, and has posted solid numbers: .300 Average, 10-15 HR, 50-70 RBI, 10-25 SB, and usually a pretty good fielder... and if he played in the Metrodome he can surely play well at Dolphins Stadium. :thumbup

to play where? He's been a LF basically his entire career and is old. He'd probably hit ok (low 700OPS) with crappy CF defense. ST invite sure...

32 is not old in the MLB. Especially because he's not a long term solution. Maybe a season or two while the young guys develop. It wouldn't hurt to give him a shot.

to play where? He's been a LF basically his entire career and is old. He'd probably hit ok (low 700OPS) with crappy CF defense. ST invite sure...

32 is not old in the MLB. Especially because he's not a long term solution. Maybe a season or two while the young guys develop. It wouldn't hurt to give him a shot.

He is a very old 32, he's knees are destroyed. I have no confidence of him being able to handle CF for 120+ games. Like shamrock says, S/T invite sure, but he's not really an option.

good guy, team player, local boy, wants to be here (rare thing), works for me

and play him where?

i really dont think he is going to be able to play center field at all.

2000 was the last time he played CF and that was for one game. Nine in 1999. Get the picture. Oh did I mention possible career-ending injuries two of the last three years? If we had a DH in the NL it might be one thing, but instead of Willingham, no.

LOL at 32 being too old.

I would love to give him a shot. I've watched him many times, and as a hitter, he is great at getting on-base. I have no idea what his fielding is like, but we need a bat like his in our lineup, instead of someone like Abercrumbie, Ross, or Borchard.

32 in his context is too old...but yeah, lol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.