Josh Johnson experiences arm discomfort

canada-marlin24

I would guess (operative word) Pinto and Garcia get the first nods at moving into the starting rotation although Gregg has experience there as well.

Frankly I'm just as concerned for the implications this has for the bullpen. If we see Beinfest move to fill the closer role quickly it may be an indication things are not well among the starters.

Okay, this is obviously, in no way good. But, don't you think a bit of this could be expected? I mean, we're not necessarily talking about TJ surgery here. We're talking about a little bit of inflamation, irritation, soreness, and tightness. Obviously, these signs shouldn't be ignored, as they could lead to bigger problems, but these guys just got done pitching the longest seasons of their lives. They then shut their arms down, and now are starting them back up again. In my opinion, they're bound to be a little sore. This doesn't directly relate, but I remember when I'd play high school baseball, my arm would be sore for the first week or two of playing catch, after not playing for some time. I don't think we should ring all of the alarms, bells, and flashing red lights.....at least not yet..... :confused

I know many people on here will probably disagree with this, but I think Mitre should get another shot at the rotation. In case some of you forgot, he was in our rotation last year, until he was shut down due to injury. In March and April, the first five games of the season, sure he had a losing record (1-3), but his ERA was still a decent 3.82. Then, after two starts in early May, he was shut down due to injury. After he returned from his injury in August, he was used strictly out of the pen, and had two terrible outings the rest of the season, which inflated his ERA a bit more.

You can look at any one of the pitchers in our starting rotation, and you will find with each one of them two or three months that they pitched worse than the other months in the season. That's, why I don't think you can be so hasty to criticize Mitre's performance last season, due to the fact that he pitched well for the 1st month he started, and began to struggle in the other two starts leading up to his injury. I think that strictly on the basis that Mitre only got 7 starts last year, he will be one of the first guys in line to hold a spot in the rotation if someone has to be held out at the start of the season.

JJ's way overrated by many on this board, but there is no way shape or form Mitre is in the same stratosphere.

Obviously the people who voted for Johnson in significant numbers for rookie of the year didn't think he was overrated.

Mitre is injured too, he may not be ready to start spring training either.

Yeah, because there's a direct correlation between voters voting and knowing everything.

Or do I need to remind you that Rafael Palmeiro won a Gold-Glove in a year in which he played 28 games as a 1st baseman?

:whistle

JJ's way overrated by many on this board, but there is no way shape or form Mitre is in the same stratosphere.

Obviously the people who voted for Johnson in significant numbers for rookie of the year didn't think he was overrated.

Yeah, because there's a direct correlation between voters voting and knowing everything.

Or do I need to remind you that Rafael Palmeiro won a Gold-Glove in a year in which he played 28 games as a 1st baseman?

As if one thing has anything to do with the other Swift. And the really sick thing is you know it.

Everyone knows you are just thrilled with the news. It's bad form but highly predictable. And uniformed as usual.

As if one thing has anything to do with the other Swift. And the really sick thing is you know it.

Everyone knows you are just thrilled with the news. It's bad form but highly predictable. And uniformed as usual.

How on earth am I thrilled with the news?

I've maintained all along that I like JJ but would not hesitate to part with him for a guy like Rios or Baldelli, but that doesn't mean I'm thrilled to hear he still can't shake an injury from months ago...or that I feel that an injury has any bearing on his ability, which you seem to wish to devolve this into.

How on earth am I thrilled with the news?

I've maintained all along that I like JJ but would not hesitate to part with him for a guy like Rios or Baldelli, but that doesn't mean I'm thrilled to hear he still can't shake an injury from months ago...or that I feel that an injury has any bearing on his ability, which you seem to wish to devolve this into.

Yes, we know you would like to trade Johnson for any likely CF candidate. I don't see why you have to harp on it now. As far as the injury connection goes, I don't see it. The injury last September was a forearm strain. This is a tricep strain. To say he can't shake an injury from months ago is just wrong without more info.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.