KOPLOVE

The_Punisher

For those who doubt our bullpen, not only do I believe Gregg was a great addition to our pen, but I believe we have some finds that many don't see. I personally think Koplove is going to be great. Sergio Mitre will serve us as no more than a mid reliever and I believe he will flourish! Tank we already know is going to be good, and Messenger has a great arsenal, and if he can find a groove can pay us dividends, my choice for our bullpen this coming season is:

Koplove

Messenger

TANK

Mitre

Owens

Lindstrom

Carlos Martinez (when he comes back from injury)

EDIT: GREGG

This bullpen is easily better than last years. Any thoughts?

For those who doubt our bullpen, not only do I believe Gregg was a great addition to our pen, but I believe we have some finds that many don't see. I personally think Koplove is going to be great. Sergio Mitre will serve us as no more than a mid reliever and I believe he will flourish! Tank we already know is going to be good, and Messenger has a great arsenal, and if he can find a groove can pay us dividends, my choice for our bullpen this coming season is:

Koplove

Messenger

TANK

Mitre

Owens

Lindstrom

I think Martinez is out for the whole season

Koplove

Messenger

TANK

Mitre

Owens

Lindstrom

You left out Pinto and Gregg

We just have to hope some young bullpen arms step up like the starting arms did last year. I do feel this pen will be much better than a some think.

As far as koplove goes, anyone heard where is velocity is at? I remember reading it was way down in years past, which is why he hasnt seen much MLB time lately.

Martinez is out for the season and in a word, no.

KMart could be back in July. It takes anywhere from 12-18 months to recovery from TJ surgery, so July would be 12 months. I just hope we don't rush him back.

The Marlins bullpen was a disaster last year- 27 blown saves (only Atlanta & KC were slightly worse). How much worse can a relatively new bullpen be this year? The veterans that added "stablity" - Borowski & Herges - accounted for 11 of those blown saves. In an ideal world, we'd have spent tens of millions shoring up the bullpen like Baltimore did. Given that we all know that's not reality, I think Admin Beinfest did the next best thing- brought in a bunch of new arms that potentially could set-up or close. Maybe Gregg can be a closer- who knows? Same with Owens & Lindstrom. Maybe Koplove or Rodriguez becomes a solid veteran presence. The bottom line is I'd rather have the uncertainty we have right now versus the mess we had last year.

The Marlins bullpen was a disaster last year- 27 blown saves (only Atlanta & KC were slightly worse). How much worse can a relatively new bullpen be this year? The veterans that added "stablity" - Borowski & Herges - accounted for 11 of those blown saves. In an ideal world, we'd have spent tens of millions shoring up the bullpen like Baltimore did. Given that we all know that's not reality, I think Admin Beinfest did the next best thing- brought in a bunch of new arms that potentially could set-up or close. Maybe Gregg can be a closer- who knows? Same with Owens & Lindstrom. Maybe Koplove or Rodriguez becomes a solid veteran presence. The bottom line is I'd rather have the uncertainty we have right now versus the mess we had last year.

Nothing that goes on in Baltimore should be described as being in an ideal world. Bullpens will always be crap-shoots. Spending more for one than anyone ever has before only makes it a bigger gamble.

Nothing that goes on in Baltimore should be described as being in an ideal world. Bullpens will always be crap-shoots. Spending more for one than anyone ever has before only makes it a bigger gamble.

Ummm, how on earth is paying for results a crap shoot? Is every free agent then just a crap shoot?

Just because bad middle relief often gets exposed doesn't mean that the BJ Ryan's and Chad Bradford's of the world are bad investments.

I dont see how anyone can be down on Gregg. He's put up solid major league numbers and is coming to an extreme pitching park. His periphial stats indicate he's not putting up flukey ERAs. Now, unless you believe there's plenty of random minor league arms that can pitch league average or better in relief, (read: el penguino) having at least one known commodity is comforting.