Tankersley has elbow tendinitis

Marlins' Tankersley has elbow tendinitis

BY CLARK SPENCER

[email protected]

JUPITER - Marlins left-handed reliever Taylor Tankersley has tendinitis in his throwing shoulder and said he does not expect to be ready for the start of the regular season April 2.

Tankersley, who was considered a candidate to serve as the team's closer, had an MRI performed Monday and had the shoulder re-examined Wednesday. He said tests revealed no structural damage.

As a rookie last season, Tankersley was one of the most reliable members of the Marlins bullpen, appearing in 49 games and going 2-1 with three saves and a 2.85 earned-run average.

Tankersley has not thrown since the weekend. He said he hoped to be ready by the second or third week in April.

But, while in the minors, he missed the first two months of the 2005 season due to a similar injury. Tankersley was the Marlins' first-round draft pick in 2004.

''Me being back by opening day is realistic but not probable,'' Tankersley said. ``We'll just have to listen to my arm to make sure it's all gone.''

Tankersley said he does not expect to resume throwing for another week to 10 days.

''It stinks,'' he said. ``I'm bummed.''

:banghead

hopefully it won't develop into something worse. On the bright side it will add one more person to the bullpen and help us sort out the bullpen by giving someone else an opportunity. Hopefully by the time he comes back, the bullpen will be beter sorted out. Just trying to find something positive...

This is why you DO SOMETHING IN THE OFFSEASON BESIDES WHINE, LORIA!

We have the fewest games of MLB experience in the bullpen that I have ever seen going into the season. Last year was bad enough, where we only had two veterans in the bullpen. Even worse, this year we have lost both of them and added only one veteran (Gregg), to add to the injuries of Kensing, Martinez, and Bowyer. I still don't understand why we didn't make moves to add pitchers with MLB experience to the bullpen. We had a lot of chances to sign players like we had in the past who were coming off of injury, and we passed.

The Marlins have been relatively lucky injury-wise since their inception in 1993. I hope that this isn't the year that the odds catch up with us, but considering the number of young arms, I think that the possibility that this will be a bad year for injuries is something that all should take into account before getting overly optimistic about the team's record this year. As FutureGM pointed out in his otherwise misconveived and ill-informed post, we don't have a lot of back-up.

This is a blow to the team, however if some guys pan out like a lot of people think they might, I'm confident that this team will make it through alright. Obviously I hope JJ and Tank are back and healthy soon, but I think this will bring some of the unknowns out to prove big things this season.

The Marlins have been relatively lucky injury-wise since their inception in 1993. .

umm just in the last few years ...

Lowell breaking his hand

AJ out with TJ surgery

Becketts blisters

and a little before that ...

Alex Fernandez

Matt Mantei

Cliff Floyd

injuries come up ... sure you can say that the Marlins have been somewhat lucky in injuries to key players in key moments but you can't say that we have had it that easy.

I didn't say that the Marlins were injury free.

All teams have injuries and a couple of you have come forth with what I agree are some key injuries.

I said the Marlins were relatively lucky injury-wise....and I maintain that taking into account the best examples provided here...the team has been on the good side of injuries since their inception in 1993. Let's hope it continues for a long time.

I didn't say that the Marlins were injury free.

All teams have injuries and a couple of you have come forth with what I agree are some key injuries.

I said the Marlins were relatively lucky injury-wise....and I maintain that taking into account the best examples provided here...the team has been on the good side of injuries since their inception in 1993. Let's hope it continues for a long time.

I don't understand what you mean at all then. It's arguable that we've seen injuries of severe nature to our most important players each of the last three seasons, last year excluded.

2005-Delgado battles recurring elbow issues, LoDuca and Castillo miss substantial amount of time with leg/hip issues.

2004-Castillo's hip, Beckett's blister's and oblique.

2003-Beckett's shoulder, Lowell's broken hand, AJ's TJ surgery.

We haven't exactly been on the good side of the injury report.

Guest Juanky

Huh?

We're averaging a Tommy John surgery a season since 2003. How is that lucky?

Huh?

We're averaging a Tommy John surgery a season since 2003. How is that lucky?

I guess we have to pull a Derek Lee type injury to get on the map

this doesnt sound like a horribly bad injury.

if its just tendinitis, i'm not worried, basically just a sore elbow.

give him some rest. if the MRI is clean, there shouldnt be a huge cause for concern at this point. not all that uncommon anyway.

so he misses a week or two in april. big deal. gives the others an opportunity to step up.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Whatever injuries we've had...it could have been worse.

We have managed to win 2 Championships in 14 attempts. That's fine with me, unless you want to get Yankee greedy and think that we could have/would have won 4 or 5 championships in those 14 attempts.

And we've been competitive throughout the season in the playoff race into September for half our existence. To me that's great for a new franchise.

That's a combination of talent with being relatively lucky injury-wise. Just look at all the teams throughout the last 14 years that were doomed by injury.

Guest Juanky

The year we won the World Series, we lost four out of our five starting pitchers at one point or another to injury. It got to the point that we needed to call up a farmhand who was previously thought to be nowhere near ready to start.

In that season, Pudge also missed time as well as losing Lowell to a broken hand and Luiy still struggling with his hip. I might even be forgetting one or two.

Just because you win the World Series doesn't mean you don't limp to the line.